Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing Out Suspension Parts - Questions

I replaced the rear shocks on a Mirage last month, didn't reuse the stock bellows(which have bumpstops built into them...)the rh rear shock is now leaking again. I don't know if it's cause the car bottomed out 10 too many times because of the missing bump stops? I usually reuse the old oem hardware but didn't this time for science I guess. The monroe shocks don't last long even with the bellows but 1 month was pretty sad.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-13-2024),sunbeam (05-09-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I replaced the rear shocks on a Mirage last month, didn't reuse the stock bellows(which have bumpstops built into them...)the rh rear shock is now leaking again. I don't know if it's cause the car bottomed out 10 too many times because of the missing bump stops? I usually reuse the old oem hardware but didn't this time for science I guess. The monroe shocks don't last long even with the bellows but 1 month was pretty sad.
    Taking notes here.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Re: Dust Cover

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    eric - I've installed that brand and type of shock on other vehicles. Due to the lack of bellows, you just gotta make sure you install it ... down. Heck, that's not clear. One side has a cup shape to it, you want that cup down, so it doesn't hold water, salt, sludge, slime, snow, etc. You might wanna orta slide up under your ride and confirm.
    I think I found the oem dust cover, I'll talk to my mechanic to see if he still has the original shocks, Mitsubishi sells these for $81 each and change, I found them on ebay for much less if you want to order them from the middle east, but with the current situation over there it could take a while...

pn 4155A027 ?

I wonder as a stopgap if I just buy some kitchen rubber gloves, cut off the fingers and cut down the center, and wrap the shock and secure it with zip ties top and bottom if this will make a "temporary" dust cover. It should overlap since the shock is thinner than the glove body. Cut some slots at the bottom above the zip tie to allow for moisture to drain off. These would be the thinner household gloves so it will flex with the up and down shock movement. Good idea, bad idea?

I kind of leaning towards the oem part as it seems to have an integrated bump stop with the cover.

Name:  IMG_5245.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  88.5 KBName:  IMG_5246.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  89.8 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 698 Posts
    I wouldn't want any bump stoppers to be missing! The shocks are supposed to survive should I oversee a hefty bump...