Thread: 2015 Mirage was rear ended. Getting new 2023 Mirage. So Many Questions.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

2015 Mirage was rear ended. Getting new 2023 Mirage. So Many Questions.

I was waiting to make a left turn when someone rear-ended my beloved 2015 Mirage ES.
    The Mirage did its job and kept me from getting any serious injuries but it was written off.

The spare tire was pressed flush against the back seat.
    The back of the drivers seat caved in and I was almost being hugged by it.
    No airbags deployed though.

I was able to get enough from insurance to put a sizeable down-payment on a new 2023 Mirage SE that is expected to arrive sometime in Jan. I am so excited as I loved my mirage and took the best care of it.

- So I have seen all the standard tips for the break in period. Is keeping it under 4k rev's still the same for the mirage, or is it different?

- When should I have the oil changed?

- I am in a colder climate does that change anything for the break in process?
    - When the weather is really cold. How long should I let the car warm up?
    - Should i be varying the engine speed during warm up, or should I just let it idle?

Now surrounding the purchase of the car.
    They want to add-on an extended warranty that they say covers everything except brake pads and windows. for 200,000km and 10 years. But its pretty pricey.

- Is this worth it? If so, will a dealer typically cut a deal on the cost of this?
    - What about the pre-paid maintenance plan?
    - What about the dealer's undercoating. It works out to be the same as local undercoating shops do over the same time period. But does it really protect the car any better? I care about the car not rusting.

Is there anything else I should know to "haggle" for when at the dealer. I have never bought a new car before,
    and this seller actually traded another dealership for the car I am getting, because I really need it asap.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Some Random thoughts...
    First, Glad your OK !!!
    ->The air bags did not deploy because you were rear ended. The seat protected you in this accident.
    ->Change your oil @ the 1/2 way mark between the first scheduled service. Others may chime in on this, as that's what I did on mine.
    ->For the cold weather, get a block heater & use it. When you start your car & scrape the frost, you will be ready to go.
    ->No to the extended warranty. You already have 10 year powertrain, & it won't cover any regular stuff.
    ->No to dealer undercoat. Get it sprayed with Krown (or equivalent) every year. Remember, if it doesn't leak on the drive way, it won't work.
    Just some random thoughts on my part. Others will have some good advice too, just wait for a bit. YMMV. Enjoy your New Mirage. Sounds like a perfect Christmas Present
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.4 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-20-2022)

Good advice already.

I change oil on the fleet Mirages and my own Mirage at 6000km(as per the severe service schedule).

The fleet cars were never broken in. People were tossed the keys and told to drive them.

As for warm up, I drive when I can see out the windows. If it's colder than -30 I wait til the heater starts putting out heat so the windows don't frost up after I start driving. Just let it idle.

If I were to buy a new car I'd make sure they don't add on any extra crap like a winter package or other useless garbage they say is mandatory. When the wife bought her garbage pail Kia they pulled that while in the finance office. I told her to walk away from the deal but she was already sucked in and wasn't leaving without a new vehicle and they knew it....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Unfortunately i live in an apartment building where a block heater plug in is not an option.
    I plan to keep the car as long as I can. and the extended warranty is bumper to bumper for 10 years 200,00km.
    So you think Krown is a better product than the dealership undercoating?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cleadus_fetus View Post
    Unfortunately i live in an apartment building where a block heater plug in is not an option.
    I plan to keep the car as long as I can. and the extended warranty is bumper to bumper for 10 years 200,00km.
    If you want good feedback, give us good details.

A Mirage in the States comes with a 5-year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, 10-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty, and 5-year/unlimited roadside assistance.

How much will the extended warranty cost you? If it's $10, I say go for it. If it's more than $10, I say skip it. Get my point?

From what others have shared over the years - Krown does seem better/best. I wouldn't let a dealer add anything to the deal, but that's me. Adding junk is how they make money. I don't feel obligated to play along. I wasn't asked to purchase one single thing extra once we agreed on a price for my Mirage. I wouldn't even visit a dealership without knowing their exact out-the-door price first. Once I get that price from them, they aren't adding anything to it. If they already added to their OTD price, it will save me time to start shopping elsewhere. I don't dink around with dealers any more. I state what I want & don't want. I am the customer, & I call the shots not them. They are at our mercy, but some people feel the opposite when shopping for a car. If someone selling cars doesn't like me, I don't lose sleep over that. It's my money I am spending or not spending.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cleadus_fetus View Post
    I worked @ a dealership for ~25 years as a Tech. I have a little experience. I would read the fine print on that warranty really, really close. I can almost guarantee it's not "Bumper to Bumper". You will have to have your oil changed by a "Professional" using the warranty company's schedule (often 3000 miles) & if you are late, lose a receipt, do it yourself or forget to log it on their web site, the entire warranty will be void & you will be out of pocket the money they charged you for it. Trust me, I have dealt with these "Extended Warranty Company's" in the past. Thats how they make their money.

As for the undercoat, I almost guarantee Krown is better than the dealership undercoat. Find out what they use for a product. I'll bet it's a hard kinda waxy product & they'll tell you it wont drip & stain your driveway. If it doesn't drip, it won't creep into seams & displace moisture. It'll just cover the seams & seal in any moisture that is already in it. I've seen cars with dealer "undercoat" rust pretty bad & I bet they won't warranty a repair.

Sorry to ramble on. Be careful, read ALL the fine prints, & don't be afraid to say NO to anything that sounds sketchy, like most of the add ons they will try to sell you... Just my thoughts, sorry...
    Last edited by klroger; 12-21-2022 at 10:40 AM.
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.4 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

BigMW (12-22-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    I worked @ a dealership for ~25 years as a Tech. I have a little experience.
    like most of the add ons they will try to sell you... Just my thoughts, sorry...
    Thank you for your great reply.

How would I go about requesting things that I do want. Like remote starter, which they this year only offer for the GT trim here in Canada. The apparent reason is that trim has push button and not key start. I am getting an SE.

I also would really like to have the Rockford audio system that's made for mirages in my car. But I also don't see that as an optional accessory at all anymore.

Both of these things are just a lot easier for me to have come with the car and also to wrap into the financing for my situation.

Do you have any suggestions on how to ask for these parts and how to make sure I am not over paying. I already know what the parts/labor should cost for each of these products.

Thanks again for your help.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You also have corrosion rust through for a fairly long time but since we now know the Mirage has the Hyundai curse, rusting out right a the rear of the rear wheels Krown or DIY is needed. I know some complexes frown on you doing anything to your car but maybe spraying some rust gunk is OK. I would only Krown every other year, you don't want your car looking like a black dust magnet around the doors and seams all the time. Extended warranty. No. You can always buy that crap thing Ice-T hawks on TV. I forget the name. It's likely what the dealer is selling you anyway.

As for the Rockford and remote start, don't sweat the Mitsubishi electrics. They are fine unless you plan on running 1000W RMS quad amps with a 2000W sub. Doesn't matter much then, you'll be deaf and likely stoopid as **** as well from the incessant brain pounding.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)