Thread: Rod knock after oil change....no outright signs of what caused it.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I think the US gets kinda screwed as for the 10 year transferable warranty and it's shortened to only 5 years or something like that? I'm fairly sure up here the 10 year powertrain warranty is transferable but you may need proof of maintenance.

There were recalls issued for 2014 and at least some 2015(maybe all?) regarding engine noise. The dealer would perform an ecu reflash and if the engine was noisy it'd be replaced. Or should be replaced?

Here's a video of my first 2014 that I bought in 2019 with 36k km(22,000miles). It wasn't noticeable on the highway but at low speeds it sure was. I don't know what the cause/noise was, piston slap, rod knock? I dunno....I never tore into that one. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Io9r5PRbIFw I drove it like that for a year then took it into the dealer complaining about engine noise and said it burnt oil(it didn't use oil) and they replaced it for free. The car had about 30k miles on it by that time and I had no past service history for the car.

There's an American user here on the forum(Dodge Aries K) that I'm pretty sure has had multiple engines replaced in various Mirages that he bought used.

And here's what a Mirage rod knock sounds like https://www.youtube.com/shorts/B_DavJ1ZLfY This one just started hammering when I was heading home from work. Sounded like pinging at first but nope. I limped it home and it was extremely loud by the time I made it home. The video was taken a while after it had a chance to cool down. It's way quieter in the video than it was while I was driving it! Since this car had no warranty I just bought a used engine with around 4000miles on it from a 2017 for around $6-700 and a cvt with less miles for $500. I may have been able to try and attempt a recall engine but didn't bother trying and being out $150 diag fee.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-19-2023)