Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tough decision to make

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cleadus_fetus View Post
    Why are you selling your 2017. I know the 2023 looks really nice.
    To bad you can't find your dream Mirage before you sell this one.

Also try and get your asking price from first guy willing to take it as is. If they do walk there will be plenty of other potential buyers out there.
    If I can sell the 2017 now and not lose a cent and who knows, maybe in another 6 years I'll sell the 2023 for more than what I paid?

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    ...and who knows, maybe in another 6 years I'll sell the 2023 for more than what I paid?
    Not if dems remain in power... Democrats are like Bobby Boucher's mother on The Waterboy. Everything they don't like, "is the devil!" So in 6 years time, a Mirage could be, The Devil!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (02-14-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    If I can sell the 2017 now and not lose a cent and who knows, maybe in another 6 years I'll sell the 2023 for more than what I paid?
    I've learned to be content with what I already have. Now that Mitsubishi has dropped the manual option in 2023, it's even easier.

If I were shopping for a Mirage manual on cars.com (500 mile radius search) tonight, 16 manual options would appear. Some are listed wrong (not a manual when looking at the pics). I would only consider 2017+ updated Mirages, & that eliminates the 2014-15 models.

I would be left with 5 Mirage manuals to pick from -

2020 red ES manual with 12,871 miles for $14,235 @ KIA dealership 436 miles away.
    2021 black ES manual with 21,564 miles for $14,268 @ Automall place 426 miles away.
    2019 white ES manual with 41,150 miles for $13,599 @ CarMax 364 miles away.
    2018 black ES manual with 60,332 miles for $10,777 @ used car dealer 123 miles away *
    2019 blue ES manual with 80,597 miles for $8950 @ used car dealer 171 mile away

* has an accident report on carfax.

My 2017 ES manual is approaching 75,000 miles. I think it's interesting to check what is out there at times, but I am content with what I already have. Outside of factory cruise control being added in 2019+, they are all the same cars to me.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I should do a search like you have done and see what pops up.

It's not that I don't like the Mirage I have, this is the first time in history a consumer can drive a car 5 years and lose 0 in depreciation. If I don't take advantage of this now there might not be an other opportunity like this. Ever. And if I were to die tomorrow my kid gets everything I have in trust, she can't drive now but if I had a 2023 in my portfolio the choice becomes hers to keep it and drive it when she can of sell it and add the cash to the pot, i imagine she will sell it as there's nobody in her life to teach her a standard.

Even if I don't disappear soon when if I give her a 2023 in 3 years I[ll be confident she has a safe car that should last her all through her young adult years. I'm still waiting on the couple to back up their original offer. They have a few days
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    I should do a search like you have done and see what pops up.

It's not that I don't like the Mirage I have, this is the first time in history a consumer can drive a car 5 years and lose 0 in depreciation. If I don't take advantage of this now there might not be an other opportunity like this. Ever. And if I were to die tomorrow my kid gets everything I have in trust, she can't drive now but if I had a 2023 in my portfolio the choice becomes hers to keep it and drive it when she can of sell it and add the cash to the pot, i imagine she will sell it as there's nobody in her life to teach her a standard.

Even if I don't disappear soon when if I give her a 2023 in 3 years I[ll be confident she has a safe car that should last her all through her young adult years. I'm still waiting on the couple to back up their original offer. They have a few days
    Or you could give her the 2017 & the money you saved by not buying a new car. She could still drive the 2017 for a long time & use the extra money towards her future dream car.

I look at this differently. In today's market if someone offered me what I paid for my 2017 Mirage, I wouldn't take it. That amount of money wouldn't buy me a better car than what I already have. Current inflation trumps zero depreciation in my mind. If I didn't need a car, however, it would be wise to sell it at a good price.

Cars are money pits, not investments. In most cases, older cars are cheaper to insure than new ones, too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    this is the first time in history a consumer can drive a car 5 years and lose 0 in depreciation. If I don't take advantage of this now there might not be an other opportunity like this. Ever.
    There's just something about that whole thing (statement and the possibility too), that just doesn't seem correct ... to me. Maybe it's like Mark said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Current inflation trumps zero depreciation in my mind.
    Let's say you sell it for what you're asking and you break even. The next car you buy is going to cost you a premium, in 2 ways. Maybe 3 ways.

1. Inflation and possible unmarked mark-up.
    2. Taxes, you're gonna have to cough that up ... again.
    3. Possible depreciation: There's some chance that not only MIGHT car values drop back to near where they were (after you buy the new one), but that normal car depreciation sets back in (as is normal most of the time) for a double-tap on your new purchased car's value. Catching you back up to where you would have been had you not even sold. And in any event, you'd lose the taxes you spend and 1 very valuable pedal.

I don't pretend that I think any of the above is fact. I'm just kind of wondering out loud.

However, if you come back and just say, hell I want a new car anyway ... I'm down with that mindset. It's just the numbers of selling and buying just *seem* like they may not be what you are thinking.
    Last edited by 7milesout; 02-14-2023 at 06:50 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Just sell everything and buy beer. Then send me beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)