Thread: 5-speed discontinued in Mirage. Only one car in the US offers 5MT now.

5-speed discontinued in Mirage. Only one car in the US offers 5MT now.

After posting that tidbit about the Versa being available with a stick, I read that it's actually the LAST car with a 5-speed manual available in the States.

But it's really just a marketing ploy to advertise the low base price - apparently there are only a handful actually available to buy across the whole U.S!

The 5-Speed Manual Transmission Is Nearly Extinct in America

There’s just one new car on sale in America in 2023 still rocking a five-speed stick. And yes, it’s a Nissan.

... finding a 5MT Versa will be a significant chore: it’s only equipped on base versions (and likely only exists as an entry price to put on a billboard) and there are only three available in the entire U.S., per Nissan’s consumer’s site.
    https://www.thedrive.com/news/theres...uck-finding-it

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-10-2023),inuvik (02-10-2023),Top_Fuel (02-10-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    After posting that tidbit about the Versa being available with a stick, I read that it's actually the LAST car with a 5-speed manual available in the States.

But it's really just a marketing ploy to advertise the low base price - apparently there are only a handful actually available to buy across the whole U.S!

https://www.thedrive.com/news/theres...uck-finding-it
    I'm not sure that is true?

Without even looking, I know a 2023 Mazda MX-5 Miata manual can still be bought in the States. I always thought owning one would be fun (not practical enough for me). The way things are headed, I may just own one yet!

5-speed Versa.

Miata is 6MT. All the remaining manuals are 6+ speeds now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    5-speed Versa.

Miata is 6MT. All the remaining manuals are 6+ speeds now.
    Good point! Sorry about that!

I have zero concerns over a 5-speed manual versus a 6-speed manual. My concern is the lack of manuals, period!

That is also coming to pass, sadly.

One example of many: Subaru dropped the manual trans for the 2023 Crosstrek for the US. CVT only.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That is also coming to pass, sadly.

One example of many: Subaru dropped the manual trans for the 2023 Crosstrek for the US. CVT only.
    I somewhat own my 2011 Subaru Forester, because Toyota & Honda had dropped their RAV4/CR-V manual options long before Subaru.

I lose all interest in vehicles that drop the manual option, and that includes the 2023 Mirage! Sadly it's a trend I don't see turning around either.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    I would like to see if anyone here can arrive at the same conclusion as to WHY manual transmissions are fading away. For example, it is certainly NOT because they are inferior to any automatic. I think they are actually superior in every way. More robust, better mpg, more fun to drive, less expensive, etc.

Toyota taught me a method as to how to get to the root cause of an issue. I'd like to know, just for giggles, if anyone comes to the same conclusion as I have.

This is not a right or wrong thing. It's just for fun. And for me to see if my psyche is psycho.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

I think there are a bunch of factors ...

1) Government fuel economy tests handicap manuals, so automakers have growing incentive (in terms of increasingly stringent CAFE requirements) to get rid of manuals. (This DESPITE manuals getting better real world MPG than automatics in the hands of skilled/motivated drivers.)

2) People are lazy - it's too hard to eat/use a phone/put on make-up while also having to shift gears.

3) There's more profit in vehicles with automatics (automatics are often bundled with other desired features), so dealers / automakers have incentive to steer buyers to them.

4) There's more expensive servicing required in vehicles with automatics, so dealers have incentive to steer buyers to them.

5) Some newer safety/convenience features don't work well (or at all) with manuals eg. radar cruise control, emergency braking.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-10-2023),inuvik (02-10-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    I think there are a bunch of factors ...

1) Government fuel economy tests handicap manuals, so automakers have growing incentive (in terms of increasingly stringent CAFE requirements) to get rid of manuals. (This DESPITE manuals getting better real world MPG than automatics in the hands of skilled/motivated drivers.)

2) People are lazy - it's too hard to eat/use a phone/put on make-up while also having to shift gears.

3) There's more profit in vehicles with automatics (automatics are often bundled with other desired features), so dealers / automakers have incentive to steer buyers to them.

4) There's more expensive servicing required in vehicles with automatics, so dealers have incentive to steer buyers to them.

5) Some newer safety/convenience features don't work well (or at all) with manuals eg. radar cruise control, emergency braking.
    Some of your points are things I hadn't considered. And true. Like not working with emergency braking. Although engineers have already developed ways around this. But there is zero incentive due to the direction manuals are going. You've only skinned the surface of what my root cause determination is. I'm not saying my thinking is correct. But in my mind it is. But my mind seems to work differently than most others.

We'll take a few other people's feedback, before I lift the veil on just how warped I may be.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Good topic...

I'm going to split this and make a new thread.