Thread: Rejuvenate a "dead" battery

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Rejuvenate a "dead" battery

There's a lot of info out there about what constitutes a dead battery, can they be brought back to life, will they last and so on.

A few years back I bought a device to desulphate lead acid, likely gel cells and AGM styles will respond too. It was cheap, I think $19 or so at the time.

https://www.amazon.ca/Orange-Battery...08&sr=8-5&th=1

I used it a couple of times and didn't see any improvement. So I parked it in a corner of my toolbox. Fast forward to last week or so. I "rediscovered" it and thought what can it hurt? I have two powersport batteries, both for my 400 Suzuki Burgmans. One is AGM tech, the other doesn't state but it's likely just a cheap SLA. Both are 130 CCA AFAIK.

Neither battery held a charge for any length of time. Perhaps a week-1o days at best at 70F. After several cycles using the gadget both batteries responded nicely. The AGM, many years of age, maybe 8 years old? I forget, went from 78 CCA with overall health of 55% to 115 CCA and overall health to 81% It would not charge higher than 12.9v before to 13.6v now. It also seems to hold the charge.

The SLA wasn't as major a jump but it's, IIRC, close to 11 years old. It went from 122 CCA to 130 CCA and overall SOH from 68% to 78% It also now charges to 13.6v from just under 12v.

The biggest improvement, it's still being worked on, is a deep cycle RV/Marine battery. It's gone from 0.2v to 9.6v , CCA from 5! to 165, SOH, I forget the start value but it's now @ 15% I suspect it's going to need a lot of cycles but it's only costing me time so far and this battery cost well over $250 when new and it only saw 2-3 years of service before my Dad died and it was an orphan among his stuff.

I was a bit skeptical when I started but the concept was solid enough, it's been proven in other fields I just wasn't sure how well a $20 unit could do the job.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-10-2023)