Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Manual clutch free play/slop

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Manual clutch free play/slop

Has anyone ever adjusted the clutch free play on one of these cars? There is a lot of slop at the top of my pedal and I would like to take this out/get it adjusted properly.

Thanks,
    195spd.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,518 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Slop at the top? I suggest you better clarify your meaning. Because if you mean the engagement happens closer to the bottom or middle, and then nothing in the last ~half of clutch throw, I believe that is best case. If you mean something else, please elaborate.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,756 Times in 2,154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 195spd View Post
    Has anyone ever adjusted the clutch free play on one of these cars? There is a lot of slop at the top of my pedal and I would like to take this out/get it adjusted properly.

Thanks,
    195spd.
    If you use the search (enhanced by Google) box within the forum, it will give you all the previous threads related to a topic like this. For example, I searched "clutch adjustment", & I found several like this one -

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...age-Space-Star

You can see by this particular thread that your question was answered 10 years ago.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 707 Posts
    I agree with Mark and others to use the search function!

Clutch adjustment is the subject of section 21A-2 of the FSM.

In short, the adjustment knob is located where the outer part of the clutch cable ends in the engine compartment. A correct adjustment should enable the curved part of the lever to be moved outward a quarter of an inch by applying light pressure. Otherwise said, the clutch pedal should have a free play of about half an inch or 12mm. See the FSM or use the search function in this forum.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you use the search (enhanced by Google) box within the forum, it will give you all the previous threads related to a topic like this. For example, I searched "clutch adjustment", & I found several like this one -

You can see by this particular thread that your question was answered 10 years ago.
    Yes, I read that forum. On page 2 "eggman" posted service instructions for free play on a 2015 mirage. I have a 2019 mirage and I don't have an adjustment nut by my clutch pedal. Does anyone else have a ~2019 mirage model that knows where these adjustments can be made?
    Last edited by 195spd; 02-21-2023 at 01:39 AM. Reason: typo

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Slop at the top? I suggest you better clarify your meaning. Because if you mean the engagement happens closer to the bottom or middle, and then nothing in the last ~half of clutch throw, I believe that is best case. If you mean something else, please elaborate.
    There is about 2-3in of freeplay "slop at the top" which needs to be taken out. Shifting is clunky and notchy as described in

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ch-adjustment)

This forum was resolved by "Tech ended up taking the slop and play out of the clutch pedal, shifting smoother now. "

I think that I just need to take out the play.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, I read that forum. On page 2 "eggman" posted service instructions for free play on a 2015 mirage. I have a 2019 mirage and I don't have an adjustment nut by my clutch pedal. Does anyone else have a ~2019 mirage model that knows where these adjustments can be made?
    Sorry, I didn't know you explored all that already. My bad!

It would be interesting to compare your clutch to another Mirage clutch.

The cable has 2 ends. Adjusting it at the transmission will remove slack at the pedal . There's a good chance that post that eggman made wasn't correct. I found a pic of a clutch cable and it looks like there's only adjustment at one end, which is gonna be at the transmission, as mentioned by others already. https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ll=1#post84009

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The pics at the beginning of the thread I shared are not anywhere near the clutch pedal. A 2019 may have a different bumper, but your clutch cable is pretty much the same. Those pics are at the opposite end of the clutch cable (right under my car battery on my 2017 Mirage).

I suggest you look at the clutch cable underneath your Mirage battery & let us know if it looks any different than the pics shown in 2013 (below)?

Last edited by Mark; 02-21-2023 at 05:20 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-21-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The pics at the beginning of the thread I shared are not anywhere near the clutch pedal. A 2019 may have a different bumper, but your clutch cable is pretty much the same. Those pics are at the opposite end of the clutch cable (right under my car battery on my 2017 Mirage).
    I've never actually looked under the hood of a 5spd Mirage. Is it safe to say the clutch cable runs from the transmission(where the commonly referred to adjustment is) then to the firewall and outer casing stops there(where the big shiny washer bit is) and the inner cable(the movable part) continues to the pedal?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)