Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want a slightly better battery, But don't know what to look for.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

I want a slightly better battery, But don't know what to look for.

The Dashcam in my car is programmed to shut off at 12.1v and its seems to shutoff throughout the night most nights.

I am looking to get a battery that has the ability to run longer while the car is off. I don't need anything crazy.
    But I really don't know what I should be looking for or if this is really possible for this car.

The current battery is stock and only a couple months old.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    A group 24 battery will fit. You might not even have to alter or remove the battery box. I bought a used 24 for my 2014 Mirage and even though I might have been able to squish it in the battery box I decided to remove said box.
    As you see the size difference isn't great but the capacity difference is large.

Group 24
    Group Size (BCI): 24
    Cold Cranking Amps (CCA): 725 CCA
    Cranking Amps (CA): 890 CA
    Reserve Capacity (min): 120 Minute
    Voltage (V): 12 Volt
    Battery Type: Standard
    Terminal Type: Top Post
    Positive Terminal Location: Top Left
    Length (in): 10-3/4 Inch
    Width (in): 6-3/4 Inch
    Height (in): 9 Inch

Group Size (BCI): 35
    Cold Cranking Amps (CCA): 640 CCA
    Cranking Amps (CA): 785 CA
    Reserve Capacity (min): 95 Minute
    Positive Terminal Location: Top Right
    Length (in): 9-9/16 Inch
    Width (in): 6-7/8 Inch
    Height (in): 8-7/8 Inch

These are from https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/m...l/d6cf089e3164 an I have no idea of the quality of these, or who makes them. I gather the battery market is in flux with Johnson Controls, the previous powerhouse American manufacturer being sold to an equity group?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    A group 24 battery will fit. You might not even have to alter or remove the battery box. I bought a used 24 for my 2014 Mirage and even though I might have been able to squish it in the battery box I decided to remove said box.
    As you see the size difference isn't great but the capacity difference is large.

Group 24
    Group Size (BCI): 24
    Cold Cranking Amps (CCA): 725 CCA
    Cranking Amps (CA): 890 CA
    Reserve Capacity (min): 120 Minute
    Positive Terminal Location: Top Left
    Length (in): 10-3/4 Inch
    Width (in): 6-3/4 Inch
    Height (in): 9 Inch

Group Size (BCI): 35
    Cold Cranking Amps (CCA): 640 CCA
    Cranking Amps (CA): 785 CA
    Reserve Capacity (min): 95 Minute
    Positive Terminal Location: Top Right
    Length (in): 9-9/16 Inch
    Width (in): 6-7/8 Inch
    Height (in): 8-7/8 Inch

These are from https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/m...l/d6cf089e3164 an I have no idea of the quality of these, or who makes them. I gather the battery market is in flux with Johnson Controls, the previous powerhouse American manufacturer being sold to an equity group?
    Did you have any problems with the posts being flipped around with the 24 group?

I think any replacement battery is gonna be better than the stock one. The only spec from the oem battery I somewhat recall is the cca being under 400 iirc? I use Canadian energy batteries at work and have had pretty good luck with them. I always test them before install and they typically output above their rated capacity, as per the OTC 3183 battery tester I use.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Did you have any problems with the posts being flipped around with the 24 group?

I think any replacement battery is gonna be better than the stock one. The only spec from the oem battery I somewhat recall is the cca being under 400 iirc? I use Canadian energy batteries at work and have had pretty good luck with them. I always test them before install and they typically output above their rated capacity, as per the OTC 3183 battery tester I use.
    My Mirage was built in January 2017, & that would make my wimpy 356 CCA factory battery 6 years old. I am actually quite impressed by it. Advertised high CCA probably doesn't always translate to better quality. I would suspect batteries that come with longer warranties may be better, or it could be just one big consumer rip off, too!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (02-22-2023)

Good point, Kia offers a longer warranty than Toyota(but not in Canada) so it must be better

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In your case I would look for either an AGM or a battery notating it has a longer reserve capacity.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My 24 has the posts in the proper place + being on the left when looking at the car from the front.

My factory 2017 battery died about 30 something months in. It wasn't going to be worth going to Hamilton to get it replaced. It was easier to just buy a new one for $110 or so. That battery is now close to or out of warranty so I'm hoping to get another year at least from it.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    My 24 has the posts in the proper place + being on the left when looking at the car from the front.

My factory 2017 battery died about 30 something months in. It wasn't going to be worth going to Hamilton to get it replaced. It was easier to just buy a new one for $110 or so. That battery is now close to or out of warranty so I'm hoping to get another year at least from it.
    I just went off the specs you posted.
    It looks like a group 24 has the posts on the wrong sides and a 24F or 24R has the reversed so they are similar to a group 35.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'll check when I get a chance. I just realized that what I posted has the 35 + post on the top right which is backwards if the posts are read from the front of the car. Where are they read from?

I double checked, group 24F has the + on the top left. Still means wherever I posted the 35 specs. from must be wrong.

Here's the image from wiki, note this 24F has kind of low 582 cca.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ponBattery.jpg
    Last edited by Wallythacker; 02-21-2023 at 09:41 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GotMirage501 View Post
    Walmart sells a 24R which has the correct post config .
    There is a 24F that has the correct + & - posts, but it is a larger battery that will most likely require a modification to your battery box. Simple terms - I don't think it will fit? A group 24 battery has the wrong posts.

A group 35 battery is recommended, but a 26R will also work without any necessary modification I believe. Most places like Walmart will carry the 35 & 26R, & in most cases Walmart will have 3 different ones (different price levels) of each to pick from.