Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shes DEAD Guys :(

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Running without insurance seems more common down there. How do people do it? Up here to get registration you have to provide proof of insurance. I guess you could get insurance, get plates then cancel the insurance? It's not worth it to me.

Is insurance optional down there? There is a bare minimum up here, I don't know what it is exactly but I have no worry of having another driver crash into me and have to track them down and then sue cause they're un or underinsured.
    Some states allow you to self insure, FLA, did in 2008 or so, dunno about now. if you have xxx,xxx in available funds you don't need a policy from an "insurer". but then you don't have fire/theft/vandalism and of course if there's lien you can't self insure. My Dads inlaws who were canadian had a trailer in FLA and the car was registered there and they self insured and still spent 6 months in Ontario each summer. Since they only owed a crappy trailer there wasn't much someone would get from them in a suit.

Op, glad you seem Ok, so sorry about the car. It always bugs me to see a smashed Mirage.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Michigan is a no-fault state Mark. MrMPG's insurance has to pay for his damage. At least, that's the way I remember it working when I lived in Michigan. But I never had a claim.
    That really doesn't make any sense to me? I was rear ended by Chevy Tahoe in 2013. His Tahoe totaled my 2000 Honda CR-V. Both of our vehicles were old, and we only had liability on them. I got a check from his insurance company for my vehicle's value, and he got nothing in return for his vehicle (which was also totaled). He was at fault, he received a ticket, & the insurance companies didn't pay him a dime.

What's the point of having liability if it's a no fault state?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (03-10-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    What's the point of having liability if it's a no fault state?
    That's a question for Michigan Democrats. Maybe it was in case the other driver wasn't insured, dunno. It was complete B.S. when I lived there. Luckily I never had a claim while living there. I don't fully understand it all, nor do I care to.

You can read more circular logic here: Michigan No-Fault

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (03-09-2023),mohammad (03-10-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMPG View Post
    it had full coverage+GAP so itl get paid for, I don't think im going to buy a new car again though lol
    Man, that absolutely suck!! Im so glad to hear you’re OK. I sympathize you for what had happened to you especially the fact that now the newer Mirage doesn’t offer the best value proposition as it used to. Maybe the used one from WB dealer like this one?

https://www.whitebearmitsubishi.com/...b33dbb98dd.htm

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow. Crazy. And I thought California is a no fault state the whole time until at the time of this comment!

“””No, California is not a no-fault state for auto insurance. California is an “at-fault” or “tort” state, which means the person who is at fault for a car accident is responsible for paying for other people’s injuries and property damage resulting from the accident.

Additionally, unlike in no-fault states, drivers in California can file lawsuits to seek compensation for even basic medical expenses after an accident.

In typical no-fault states, drivers are required to carry personal injury protection (PIP) insurance to pay for their own medical expenses after a car accident, regardless of fault. In California, PIP is not required.
    Key Things to Know About Insurance in California

When an accident occurs, the insurance company for each driver who was involved will assign an adjuster to determine who was at fault. To collect payment for their losses, victims must file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company.

Depending on how long fault takes to be determined, drivers can file a claim with their own insurance company if they have coverage applicable to their own expenses, such as collision and comprehensive Their insurer can then recoup the cost from the at-fault driver’s insurer if the policyholder is not determined to be at fault.

California uses a pure comparative negligence system, meaning drivers can collect damages proportionate to their fault in causing the crash. For example, if they're 99% at fault, they can get 1% from the other driver.
    Being an “at-fault” / “tort” state helps keep California’s insurance costs relatively low, compared to no-fault states.

California requires all drivers to carry liability insurance, a type of insurance that pays for others’ expenses after you cause an accident, such as damage to others’ vehicles and their medical expenses.

In addition to California’s minimum coverage requirements, you may want to purchase types of coverage that will pay for your own expenses after an accident. For example, collision and comprehensive insurance will cover damage to your vehicle, regardless of fault.“””

https://wallethub.com/answers/ci/is-...te-2140686455/

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Glad you are ok, I am really glad they were driving a sedan and not a SUV/Truck

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Good point

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I am not sure how long ago this happened. But TRUST me when I saw. The pain is yet to come. Take it easy. Get checked out, and go to Physio. And make sure you have an adjuster pay for the physio.
    and lastly take some time to pick a good lawyer to ensure you get the best "pain and suffering" payout possible.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cleadus_fetus For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (03-09-2023),Fummins (03-09-2023)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Schedule multiple doctors appointments this really helps establish pain and suffering insurance payouts. You deserve at least $30k.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (03-09-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Running without insurance seems more common down there. How do people do it? Up here to get registration you have to provide proof of insurance. I guess you could get insurance, get plates then cancel the insurance? It's not worth it to me.

Is insurance optional down there? There is a bare minimum up here, I don't know what it is exactly but I have no worry of having another driver crash into me and have to track them down and then sue cause they're un or underinsured.
    It's frustrating, that's for sure. You can carry insurance like a good little citizen, and get hit by another driver (often here illegally) without insurance, and there's nothing you can do. You have to use your own insurance to fix your car, they get a ticket. You can't sue, because they don't have anything to sue for. And they NEVER go to prison, unless they kill someone in an accident. And only then sometimes.