Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CVT External Filter Housing

Country
    Germany
    Thanks

CVT External Filter Housing

Hello all,
    first time poster, long time lurker here.

I'm from germany and drive a 2019 Mirage with the infamous CVT transmission. I was going to attempt my first CVT fluid and filter change. Watching several videos on this topic and how to do things properly, I started working and after removing my inner wheel liner I realized pretty fast that there was a unit bolted to my CVT which I have not seen in any of those videos before.

It seems like i need to remove this "unit" in order to gain access to the external filter housing.
    My question is, if someones knows what this part is and if I can remove just the black top or do I need to remove the whole assembly?

I would be grateful for any hints/tricks. Maybe someone already faced the same problem before?

Attached Images Attached Images   

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bnas For This Useful Post:

BigMW (04-01-2023),Fummins (04-03-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    does your car have auto start stop? i.e does it turn off the engine when you stop at a red light? if so that might be the electric cvt pump which is used to keep fluid flowing while the engine is off to reduce startup time and to lubricate the cvt.

I have no idea if there is enough clearance to remove the cvt filter without removing the pump.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

bnas (04-01-2023),Dirk Diggler (04-02-2023)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Yes, it does have start stop. As far as I can tell there is absolutely no space to remove the filter housing without removing the pump assembly. There is just 5mm space between the black part of the pump and filter housing. The second picture shows pretty good how much space there is in between. I could still unscrew the bolt from the filter housing but there seems no way i can wiggle it free and slide it out with as little space there is.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bnas View Post
    Yes, it does have start stop. As far as I can tell there is absolutely no space to remove the filter housing without removing the pump assembly. There is just 5mm space between the black part of the pump and filter housing. The second picture shows pretty good how much space there is in between. I could still unscrew the bolt from the filter housing but there seems no way i can wiggle it free and slide it out with as little space there is.
    removal is probably easy/ reinstalling the filter over the metal tube maybe more challenging.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

bnas (04-01-2023)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    For future reference or if anybody attempts to do a filter change on a similiar transmission. I just went on and unbolted the top part of the unit in front of the filter housing. There are 2 O-rings in the lower part . Make sure that these dont go missing and are still in place when reassembling.

Also this was the first time at almost 49k km (30k miles) changing the cvt fluid and I guess it was about time do it. The fluid was really dark and the external filter looked a bit tired too. The internal (oil pan) panel filter looked not as bad, although there was some really small particles.

Following some photos. O-ring seal location, mating surface of the removed top part and a comparison of the old and new filter.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bnas For This Useful Post:

BigMW (04-01-2023),daleWV (04-02-2023),Dirk Diggler (04-02-2023),Fummins (04-02-2023),klroger (04-02-2023),mohammad (04-01-2023)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bnas View Post
    For future reference or if anybody attempts to do a filter change on a similiar transmission. I just went on and unbolted the top part of the unit in front of the filter housing. There are 2 O-rings in the lower part . Make sure that these dont go missing and are still in place when reassembling.

Also this was the first time at almost 49k km (30k miles) changing the cvt fluid and I guess it was about time do it. The fluid was really dark and the external filter looked a bit tired too. The internal (oil pan) panel filter looked not as bad, although there was some really small particles.

Following some photos. O-ring seal location, mating surface of the removed top part and a comparison of the old and new filter.
    Excellent post. Just know though, those 2 filters are recommended to change at 100k km. Don't feel like you have to change them out everytime you do a CVT fluid change. Still though, being so diligent, your Mirage will last till the world becomes "Mad Max: Hell & Hypermilling". Well done!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

bnas (04-05-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Excellent post. Just know though, those 2 filters are recommended to change at 100k km. Don't feel like you have to change them out everytime you do a CVT fluid change. Still though, being so diligent, your Mirage will last till the world becomes "Mad Max: Hell & Hypermilling". Well done!
    Oddly enough, the longest lasting cvt in the fleet has never had a cvt filter replaced. The second highest mileage has had a bunch of filter changes over the years so we'll see how the two compare.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

bnas (04-05-2023),Dirk Diggler (04-03-2023)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Oddly enough, the longest lasting cvt in the fleet has never had a cvt filter replaced. The second highest mileage has had a bunch of filter changes over the years so we'll see how the two compare.
    The Car Gods are a fickle bunch indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    The Car Gods are a fickle bunch indeed.
    Just don't tell anyone, my retirement is based on good cartridge filter sales.

Honestly, I didn't know I didn't replace them on this car. I haven't had any filters to replace in years...Do as I say not as I do. More maintenance isn't a bad thing (unless you mess something up in the process).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-03-2023)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Just don't tell anyone, my retirement is based on good cartridge filter sales.

Honestly, I didn't know I didn't replace them on this car. I haven't had any filters to replace in years...Do as I say not as I do. More maintenance isn't a bad thing (unless you mess something up in the process).
    Totally agree. What sucks though is if you invest all those extra loonies, baby the car, and it still $hits the bed. That happened to me with my old 1990 Mercury Marquis. Most comfortable ride I ever had but was a money pit from hell.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-03-2023)