Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The CVT Mirage can take a beating.....

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

The CVT Mirage can take a beating.....

Yesterday in a grocery store parking lot I pulled up next to a 2015 white Mirage with a roof rack and a 500lb trailer attached. Sorry I didn't get a chance to take a pic because the owner, an old hippie dude, appeared. We chatted. I told him about MirageForum and asked questions.

He's going to join MirageForum now. He's Mirage is a 2015 and over 130k miles, no issues at all and he's never done a CVT fluid change either. He looked at me like I was nuts when I told him about cvt maintenance. He tows 600lbs a day in salvaged junk too.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-21-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Yeah, these Mirages are serious heavy haulers!

It's about time I haul my ATV out for a ride. I'm just blown away with work around the house and now I'm doing repair to my GMC Sierra (my dad's truck).

When I do tow with my Mirage, I slip the clutch so very little. I try to have the clutch fully engaged by the time the rear tires get to where the front tires were. It is a slow start. I use very little revs to do it. Once I have the clutch engaged, then I lay into the throttle. Same thing with subsequent gears, engage quickly rev matching, and once fully engaged then I give it throttle. I do it the same way with my blue truck even though it has a 10X stronger clutch.

It's cool that you got to talking with the guy. I hope he jumps in here.

Replacing all the fuel lines on the turd. Also adding 2 inch drop shackles in the rear.
    Name:  Bed Off.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  98.2 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-21-2023),Fummins (04-21-2023)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Yeah, these Mirages are serious heavy haulers!

It's about time I haul my ATV out for a ride. I'm just blown away with work around the house and now I'm doing repair to my GMC Sierra (my dad's truck).

When I do tow with my Mirage, I slip the clutch so very little. I try to have the clutch fully engaged by the time the rear tires get to where the front tires were. It is a slow start. I use very little revs to do it. Once I have the clutch engaged, then I lay into the throttle. Same thing with subsequent gears, engage quickly rev matching, and once fully engaged then I give it throttle. I do it the same way with my blue truck even though it has a 10X stronger clutch.

It's cool that you got to talking with the guy. I hope he jumps in here.

Replacing all the fuel lines on the turd. Also adding 2 inch drop shackles in the rear.
    Name:  Bed Off.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  98.2 KB
    Looks good 7miles! You're quite the Rennaisance man. I was impressed that he was hauling for years with a JATCO CVT7 and didn't even get an overheating flashing "D" symbol. Makes me wonder if it's even worth it doing the fluid changes? I still will of course but mmmmm.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Maybe he takes it real easy on the CVT. By easy, I suppose that means to accelerate slowly, and hold as steady a speed as is possible. But I don't actually know what constitutes less strain on a CVT than more. I just figure the less power through it, the better.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Maybe he takes it real easy on the CVT. By easy, I suppose that means to accelerate slowly, and hold as steady a speed as is possible. But I don't actually know what constitutes less strain on a CVT than more. I just figure the less power through it, the better.
    I read the less torque the better?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (04-22-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Too high fluid temps are the real killer of CVT's. The Mirage's stack cooler isn't nearly as effective I think as compared to Nissan's external cooler. Someone here will know the exact temp the Mirage's warning flashes on the display but IIRC it's some stupidly hot temp.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-22-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    This is from the 2015 Mirage service manual...

Name:  warning.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  59.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-22-2023),inuvik (04-22-2023)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Too high fluid temps are the real killer of CVT's. The Mirage's stack cooler isn't nearly as effective I think as compared to Nissan's external cooler. Someone here will know the exact temp the Mirage's warning flashes on the display but IIRC it's some stupidly hot temp.
    How's your Sport holding up? I like those vehicles. There's a new one parked by my power-walking route I see every evening. It's a good looking CUV.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    How's your Sport holding up? I like those vehicles. There's a new one parked by my power-walking route I see every evening. It's a good looking CUV.
    55k miles on the clock now and zero mechanical issues. Oil changes every 5k miles, changed the manual transmission fluid at 30k miles and refilled with Redline. Improved shifting especially in colder temps but the OEM fluid was great looking with no metal particles on the drain plug magnet. I'm going to do another manual transmission fluid change at 60k miles so I'll see how it looks then but I expect no issues. Just replaced the OEM tires and a couple of sets of air, cabin & windshield wiper replacements. That 4B11 2.0 is so smooth. Still averaging about 30mpg overall with about 28-30 mpg in mixed driving and between 32-35 mpg on the highway. The 5 speed manual is an absolute joy to drive. Never selling this vehicle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    This is from the 2015 Mirage service manual...

Name:  warning.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  59.4 KB
    To me that's a crazy high temp before the warning light flashes. Fluid temps above 250F can't be healthy long term and you could be running 250-270F all day and not know it.