Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TFL Car - Rio vs Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    This reminds me of the Mirage vs Spark conversation people were having about ten years ago. Yes, the Spark may be a bit more refined, but that refinement comes at the cost of some reliability and longevity.

Same would seem to be true with the Mirage vs Rio today. Do I think I could get the same 218,000 miles out of a Rio that I got out of my Mirage?

No.
    I cross-shopped the spark and agree with your assessment. Plus, that gauge cluster is unacceptable - this coming from a previous motorcycle rider.

I owned a 2009 Kia Rio and it was, believe it or not, decent build quality and what seemed like a decent powertrain. I didn't have the pleasure of finding out how long I can drive it since I sold it at or before 20k miles for the mirage since the mirage had creature comforts like ac, power steering, bluetooth, cruise, and push button start.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I cross-shopped the spark and agree with your assessment. Plus, that gauge cluster is unacceptable - this coming from a previous motorcycle rider.

I owned a 2009 Kia Rio and it was, believe it or not, decent build quality and what seemed like a decent powertrain. I didn't have the pleasure of finding out how long I can drive it since I sold it at or before 20k miles for the mirage since the mirage had creature comforts like ac, power steering, bluetooth, cruise, and push button start.
    You mean that Rio didn't have A/C, power steering or cruise? No A/C in Houston is just bloody torture.

I don't see how a pooooosh button start is related to comfort. If anything, it should be related to a PITA, when the keyfob needs service, a battery, or to be replaced, if it gets lost.

Regarding the Kia Rio's build quality, as a former Toyota design engineer, you're welcome!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    You mean that Rio didn't have A/C, power steering or cruise? No A/C in Houston is just bloody torture.
    I was young and stupid once. Well, young once; still stupid. To be fair, my longest commutes during the week was 15mins tops. I was just getting ready to sweat until I arrived in my destination which had AC.

It was a cheap car. I was going to pay it off in a couple of years then strip it to be a track car. Then the brother wrecked it.

I don't see how a pooooosh button start is related to comfort. If anything, it should be related to a PITA, when the keyfob needs service, a battery, or to be replaced, if it gets lost.
    PBS/keyfob is one of those that you think is a gimmick until you experience it. Not having to pull out a key or fob to get in/out/start the car was unimaginable until I had the mirage. Now I will absolutely not buy a (daily driver) vehicle without it. I'll be more lenient if a sports car / weekend car didnt have it.

I have not experienced any of the issues you mentioned. If anything, all keyless entry fobs will need their battery replaced sooner or later.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-15-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    I thought the same thing back in late 2014 and if I could have ordered a 2015 ES without the keyless ignition I probably would have. However, having lived with it for nearly ten years and 218k I can confidently say I love it. The system has been 100% reliable and the fobs have only required one battery change each. It is no more difficult to replace than any other RKE remote from the last 25 years. Batteries are the same, too. Yeah, it sucks when you lose a transmitter because it means a few hundred bucks and a trip to the dealership unless you go aftermarket or find an OEM transmitter that has been wiped by someone who knows what they are doing. Push starting my 5-speed car is a little trickier with keyless ignition as well. But it is worth it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Push starting my 5-speed car is a little trickier with keyless ignition as well.
    What are you talking about? It's the same steps as with a key'd ignition? Set the car to ON (not ACC), roll, and clutch out.

Am I missing anything?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    PBS/keyfob is one of those that you think is a gimmick until you experience it.
    I have the keyless, no touch a keyfob, poooooshbutton deal on my Lexus. I find it no more convenient than having a keyfob & key. I once went on a long trip with 3 other bidness associates in my Lexus. Yeah, they loved the limousine comfort. But we would be leaving some place, walking to the car, and the other guys would be standing at the car pulling the handles, and have to wait on me to get to the car and touch the handle. It would have been better to have the fob and pooooosh the button from 50 to 100 feet away.

Luckily, the keyless fob thingies for the Lexus don't need anything when the battery dies, except a new battery. They work just fine after installing a fresh battery. Not all will. I think BMWs and maybe Audis have some issues with the fobs after replacing batteries. PITA. I don't know what happens in the case of a Mirage and dead fob battery. Could be simple like the Lexus, dunno.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What are you talking about? It's the same steps as with a key'd ignition? Set the car to ON (not ACC), roll, and clutch out.

Am I missing anything?
    What I can imagine his meaning is, is this: With a key, you can SEE and FEEL the correct location to place the key. With a poooooshbutton, a person may pooooosh the button once and think they are ready to roll n plop the clutch. Becomes sometimes, I be fiddlin' with the Lexus doing things I want to do on the inside before I crank. And a percetage of the time I pooooosh the button once, start trying to fiddle, before I remember that I have to pooooosh it twice for "ON." If the Mirage works this way, and a person only had one small hill to bump start, they may wind up at the bottom unstarted.