Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: `Should I buy 2 because they are so cheap?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yet the roads will be filled with virtue signaling retards in their Lightnings pulling a 150 lb. aluminum trailer with a skinny 6' tree from Home Depot on it. Hey Moron! your truck has a box on the ass end of it!

This whole EV thing was done wrong from the outset. Charging stations? Pffft. Why are there not complexes with 1000's of battery packs to HOTSWAP into the waiting cars. 2 minutes in and out. Of course that means all the battery should be a standard size/connection/capacity. Which requires planning from the start. Why not have packs 10kwhr and use multiple packs for range? Make the complexes where the batteries are swapped also battery service centers where rebuilding is done. You could still have charging stations scattered about, make those expensive enough to force folks to charge at home or swap at complexes. but with complexes you know you could take long trips without long waits.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-13-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Yet the roads will be filled with virtue signaling retards in their Lightnings pulling a 150 lb. aluminum trailer with a skinny 6' tree from Home Depot on it. Hey Moron! your truck has a box on the ass end of it!

This whole EV thing was done wrong from the outset. Charging stations? Pffft. Why are there not complexes with 1000's of battery packs to HOTSWAP into the waiting cars. 2 minutes in and out. Of course that means all the battery should be a standard size/connection/capacity. Which requires planning from the start. Why not have packs 10kwhr and use multiple packs for range? Make the complexes where the batteries are swapped also battery service centers where rebuilding is done. You could still have charging stations scattered about, make those expensive enough to force folks to charge at home or swap at complexes. but with complexes you know you could take long trips without long waits.
    I wouldn't go for swappable battery packs. I take care of my stuff, and I might be dropping off a perfectly good pack, capable of 500 km for one that's worn out and doesn't hold half the charge. No thanks.

I worked in a mine with such system on their underground vehicles. It was more or less a nightmare, with broken trucks stuck in everyone's pathway with fried batteries.

Hopefully my gas mirage and gas Toyota tacoma will hold me over until another technology matures. For me it's a hard "no" to electric battery vehicles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.3 mpg (US) ... 18.8 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigMW For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-13-2023),mohammad (06-14-2023)

I'd try one. Needing an entirely new pack is starting to seem less scary to me. There are alternatives. Failures can happen but I think that a lot of the time you don't need a completely new battery and can get away with just replacing a small chunk oh battery instead. Then carry on. The idea that as time goes on you lose range/capacity is a downside though. But if I had an ev it wouldn't be my one and only do everything vehicle. I'd just use it as a commuter mainly. I haven't had a vehicle with properly functioning remote start in years. Being able to get into a nice pre-conditioned car anytime of the year without having to run outside to make sure it actually started would be pretty sweet. Along with some of the other features that I don't know anything about but would probably complain about later.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I could not do EV as a primary. The day I really needed it to range would be -35C and the capacity would be 1/2. No thanks, hard double NO to that. I can't depend on something where the range changes drastically because of the WEATHER?

Also, with my luck, the pack would be marginal but "meet" factory specs until it was a cold day. Tough luck charlie, it meets specs in our 70F shop.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

mohammad (06-14-2023)

Get me more subs and I’ll take the $5 a year I’ll make from YouTube and I’ll put it towards buying an ev for testing purposes lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Good luck with that! We might be on Mr.Fusion nuclear stuff by then.

Someone should tell dude with the turbo Kubota Saturn we're beating his MPG without trying. Plus, there isn't a Mirage anywhere that takes 40s to hit 60MPH. I would truly be terrified to drive that. I almost think a wood burning truck is faster than that.