Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone with experience with Kei Trucks?

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Anyone with experience with Kei Trucks?

Hi all,

Looking into getting a kei truck as a cheap camper. Thinking of building a cage with a canvas cover, or just putting on a roof top tent.

Anyone with experience sourcing parts? Also, does anyone know if its possible to ship the Japanese kei truck campers to the US?
    Name:  honda-acty-truck1.jpg
Views: 1594
Size:  96.3 KB

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

BigMW (06-18-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I don't know for sure, but I remember reading about 1 or 2 states that stopped allowing Kei trucks to be registered for use on the road. (Edit, here it is : https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...-is-troubling/ )
    You'll have to check with your Department of Transport (or what ever your license office is called). We have a dealer / importer here in Ontario, but just be aware, all the ones he has are right hand drive. I think the states allows you to import vehicles over 15 or 25 years old, but again, just to be safe, check with your DOT... Parts shouldn't be a problem but you may have to get them shipped from overseas. I was toying with the idea of getting one to use as a service truck for lawn mower / snow blower pick-ups, but I didn't like the idea of the steering wheel on the right as I would have to climb in the snow banks to get in & out... Let us know what you find out!!!
    Last edited by klroger; 06-18-2023 at 01:01 PM. Reason: added link
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

BigMW (06-18-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    I was toying with the idea of getting one to use as a service truck for lawn mower / snow blower pick-ups, but I didn't like the idea of the steering wheel on the right as I would have to climb in the snow banks to get in & out... Let us know what you find out!!!
    Anyone know if there are adapter kits for this like postal trucks use? Their dilemma is mailboxes are on the right side of the road but our vehicles are left-hand drive. They bolt on an attachment that essentially shifts control to the other side of the car. Here's a video of one below. It's got me curious if you can install them the other way around.

Last edited by jonesboro; 06-18-2023 at 09:06 PM.
    2022 Mirage ES [5MT/Infrared/OEM+] / 2015 CR-V EX [CVT/Black Pearl/Modded]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't know for sure, but I remember reading about 1 or 2 states that stopped allowing Kei trucks to be registered for use on the road. (Edit, here it is : https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...-is-troubling/ )
    You'll have to check with your Department of Transport (or what ever your license office is called). We have a dealer / importer here in Ontario, but just be aware, all the ones he has are right hand drive. I think the states allows you to import vehicles over 15 or 25 years old, but again, just to be safe, check with your DOT... Parts shouldn't be a problem but you may have to get them shipped from overseas. I was toying with the idea of getting one to use as a service truck for lawn mower / snow blower pick-ups, but I didn't like the idea of the steering wheel on the right as I would have to climb in the snow banks to get in & out... Let us know what you find out!!!
    Yeah I don't mine the RHD. To clarify about the camper, its just the back truck camper attachment I was wondering about. There's a dealer in Vancouver WA with a ton of mini trucks but they don't do parts.

So I'm planning on buying the imported truck here, but couldn't find anything on importing accessories.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    Yeah I don't mine the RHD. To clarify about the camper, its just the back truck camper attachment I was wondering about. There's a dealer in Vancouver WA with a ton of mini trucks but they don't do parts.

So I'm planning on buying the imported truck here, but couldn't find anything on importing accessories.
    What is the cost of the Kei truck that you're considering?

I think of a Kei truck as a glorified UTV that would be used in a similar manner (work around the farm or large property).

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    This is writing on the wall for everyone with an ICE classic/import/antique. I imagine all the blue states will join the ban bandwagon once word gets around. Oh, I'm sure you'll be able to purchase a special use permit to drive your 57 Bel Air convertible in a July 4 parade, behind the guy with the 72 Eldorado convertible with 1200 original miles on it. This is coming, bet on it. Death traps not meeting the safety and emission specs are toast.

I've read many tales of DOT guys ambushing guys driving their Anglia/Nomad/El Camino home from cruise nights and the DOT guys go over the car with a magnifying glass looking for anything not stock/allowed/modded that isn't to factory emission specs for the year of the engine or chassis. Guys with T buckets from the 30s are fined big time because their engine from the 70s doesn't conform to the factory emission equipment. It's of course all box ticking BS from TPTB but if you think it will get easier, you're nuts.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Roughly $6-12K depending on the model. Preferably the Mitsubishi ones that come with a 4cyl or a supercharged Suzuki.

AFAIK, all of those kei trucks are 660cc. So I assume a 4cylinder isn't a thing unless you go with something larger? I didn't know kei truck campers were a thing. I saw a video where a couple guys made their own campers and did what I think you're talking about. It's somewhere on youtube.
    I was tossing around the same idea. I briefly looked into importing one but it sounds like a hassle and a gamble.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    the parts supply chain would be my concern. For example, I can't find any parts for a Husqvarna made riding mower, sold by Sears in North America, not that long ago.

And you're hoping to keep a 25+ year old foreign made never imported vehicle on the road? GL with that.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I can't find any parts for a Husqvarna made riding mower, sold by Sears in North America, not that long ago.
    Wally, unless you have something really odd, it shouldn't be a problem getting parts. If you like, give me the model # of the unit (should start with 944) & what you need & I should be able to get you part #'s for it...

I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)