Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone with experience with Kei Trucks?

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    AFAIK, all of those kei trucks are 660cc. So I assume a 4cylinder isn't a thing unless you go with something larger? I didn't know kei truck campers were a thing. I saw a video where a couple guys made their own campers and did what I think you're talking about. It's somewhere on youtube.
    I was tossing around the same idea. I briefly looked into importing one but it sounds like a hassle and a gamble.
    So the Kei Van models have the same chassis as they kei truck. The Mitsubishi Minicab and Bravo van have a 4cylinder option, I think the Bravo van is more common though.

Japan has a ton of companies that build campers out of kei trucks: https://youtu.be/tAOttYejUgc, https://youtu.be/w2MFziDLDLM

The Japanese also have a scene for custom campers: https://youtu.be/PCchHwJj00Q

I just have trouble finding parts, the websites I've seen either don't have them or aren't specific on the compatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    the parts supply chain would be my concern. For example, I can't find any parts for a Husqvarna made riding mower, sold by Sears in North America, not that long ago.

And you're hoping to keep a 25+ year old foreign made never imported vehicle on the road? GL with that.
    While they are old....they are low miles. Thats why I'm considering it. People here want $20k for their 20 year old truck with 200k miles. I would be more comfortable with a kei truck with 30-50k miles. I also think it would be easy to get views on youtube if I decided to go that route. I would definitely bed line the under body and paint over everything to make sure nothing rusts. Maybe I should find a Suzuki Aero powertrain and swap it....

Last edited by Marklovski; 06-21-2023 at 03:58 PM.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-21-2023)

Wow, I didn't know they made 4 cylinders. I don't get out much though... I thought the pistons were tiny in my old 1000cc Suzuki 4 cylinder (1983 SJ410).
    I'd be down for basically a hardshell tent in the back of one but I don't think I'd go for the full(half) motorhome setup.

What about something like a Delica? Seems like they'd be a bit more capable on and off the road.

I found this site but it might be tricky to translate or have anything shipped. https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/...recommend_list

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Marklovski (06-22-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There are a few sellers out there. Seems TX has one: https://timstinytrucks.com/inventory

There's another site that has a LOT more of them. Just can't find it at the moment.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

Marklovski (06-22-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Wow, I didn't know they made 4 cylinders. I don't get out much though... I thought the pistons were tiny in my old 1000cc Suzuki 4 cylinder (1983 SJ410).
    I'd be down for basically a hardshell tent in the back of one but I don't think I'd go for the full(half) motorhome setup.

What about something like a Delica? Seems like they'd be a bit more capable on and off the road.

I found this site but it might be tricky to translate or have anything shipped. https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/...recommend_list
    I was thinking about the Delica but they're still around $20k. A lot around here get imported from Canada so they're rusty. I also want to keep my cars on the smaller side.

Thanks for the link! I'll have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    There are a few sellers out there. Seems TX has one: https://timstinytrucks.com/inventory

There's another site that has a LOT more of them. Just can't find it at the moment.
    Wow how did they manage to get the newer Daihaitsu models? I recall mini trucks didn't meet US standards so we have to wait 25 years.

I was wondering the same thing. I assume you'd have to either park it til 2047 or maybe you could plate it for off-road use only and use it like a side by side?

Yeah, rust seems to be an issue. There's a localish delica with lowish miles that states it needs some frame repairs. I don't think all this rust is because Canada. We have rust in the west but not usually nearly as bad as out east seems to. Me thinks that a lot of these vehicles are imported already having rust issues. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...0km/1662740786

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    After a few weeks of research....I have concluded that the Suzuki Carry DB51T is the best for what I'm trying to do.
    - 2" lift - $220 (although some dealers will have already added a lift and bigger tires)
    - bull bars - $400-500 each
    - Rack - $600

This seems to be the best model for offroad and has the most support/parts available. The Mitsubishi minicab and Subaru Sambar have the most HP but the Sambar has the engine in the back so putting a camper on it will block the top engine cover, the Mitsubishi is the least reliable and harder to find parts. The Daihaitsu is tip prone due to weight distribution ( a lot lighter in the back so a lift isn't a good thing). Name:  TRUCK-RACK-ISO2.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  32.9 KBName:  DD51-FRONT-XPERT-RECEIVER-BUMPER-4-XM19105.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  29.5 KBName:  DD51-BAIRD-BUMPER3.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  89.8 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Additionally, rather than building the camper out of wood, aluminum, fiberglass, I will go for a canvas build....although I never used a sewing machine. Less weight will put less stress on the powertrain and keep the max speed.

All these trucks come in a white color. I'll probably bed line the undercarriage and do a full paint job to keep it from rusting.

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I've found that online marketplaces specializing in automotive parts are great. They often feature vendors who specifically deal with imports like kei trucks. Regarding shipping Japanese kei truck campers to the US, yes, it’s definitely possible.

Just be sure to check the import regulations and maybe get some help from a company that specializes in vehicle imports.

Also, while searching for kei truck components, I noticed listings for used bulldozers for sale on the same sites. These marketplaces really do offer a wide range of vehicles and machinery, which can be super helpful if you’re tackling different kinds of projects.

Last edited by Vroomman; 04-22-2024 at 09:40 PM.