Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Discount Tire already recommending I replace all 4 tires @ only 16245 miles?!?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Seems normal for inferior tires unfortunately. Heck, I had heard reviewers stating that the OE tires are even inferior on the expensive Outlander SEL PHEV and I was a lil shocked by this. Guess this is one of many areas where Mitsu cut corners.

Before I sold my GeeFor1, all 4 tyres (exactly as yours) had 9/32 thread life remaining on while odometer mileage under 10k. I did had DT rotated the tyres.

Last edited by defensivetackle88; 06-23-2023 at 04:53 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    You should go pay retail for some good ole Enasave tars. They're delicious! Right Mark?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Dirk - I'm not joking, I run my tires until a) they're plum worn out and showing cord, or b) plum worn out and I find a tire special for tires I like.

Down here we can get away with it. We don't get inclement weather like some places. We get a couple days of snow/ice about once every 6 years.

My OEM Enasaves are still rolling at 31k miles. But to each their own, do what you feel safe doing.
    I use two sets of tires for each of my vehicles, because I like to use up tires during the summer months. I also want newer treads on my vehicles during the winter months. It's pretty hard to accomplish that with one set of tires.

Once you go below the wear bars, your wet traction will most likely decrease. The chances of hydroplaning will also increase. If you're willing to slow down during bad weather, it may not impact you as much. That's a personal choice one has to make. I know a few people indirectly that were killed when their vehicle hydroplaned on the highway. I can't say I knew the condition of their tires, but they were apparently driving too fast for conditions.

OEM Dunlop Enasave tires - unless you have a sidewall issue, 40,000-50,000 miles is not unheard of by forum members. Those are members who are willing to use up their tires to the very end, however. Personally, I don't think Dunlop tires are a terrible all-season choice. It's just hard to justify their $160+/tire price.

If you go to the Falken tire website, you will not find the 165/65r14 Falken Sincera SN250A A/S tires. They don't list any 165mm wide tire options. Yet, the 165/65r14 Sincera SN250A A/S can be purchased from Walmart & other tire vendors.

I see no reason to buy a 165/65r14 Falken Sincera SN250A A/S (320AB/no warranty) for $85.81/tire* when you can buy a 175/65r14 Falken Sincera SN250 A/S (720AA/80,000 mile warranty) for $81/tire*. You're getting a better tire for less money!

* using Walmart's prices today.

Mirage/G4 life would be better in North America if both came with 175/65r14 (23") or 185/55r15 (23") tires.

My 2015 Impala (driving school car) is getting a new set of tires today. We are going with the mid-priced Nexen N'Priz AH8 (600AA/70,000 warranty) tires. The last pair of Cooper tires put on that car were horrible. This is the first time Cooper tires have disappointed me. Cooper may have lost their identity when Goodyear bought them out?

I never liked Goodyear and now it looks like I am done with Cooper. It's a shame, because they were the only two American tire companies left.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Speaking of Discount Tire..........
    They sell 'AGED' tires on ebay, as well as some used tires. Cheap. Has anyone had experience with aged tires from Discount Tire Direct?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    Has anyone had experience with aged tires from Discount Tire Direct?
    I bought 1 brand new Bridgestone Ecopia (185-60-15) from them for $40 shipped a couple of years ago. The tire was perfect...but it was something like 2 or 3 years old. I bought it as an emergency backup tire. This is a $150+ tire...so $40 is a cheap insurance policy for me if I ever need it. I just watched the eBay auction for a month or so and tossed a crazy lowball offer at them...and they took it.

I don't think I'd buy tires that were 5+ years old unless I was getting them for next to nothing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

tomrad (06-24-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I bought 1 brand new Bridgestone Ecopia (185-60-15) from them for $40 shipped a couple of years ago. The tire was perfect...but it was something like 2 or 3 years old. I bought it as an emergency backup tire. This is a $150+ tire...so $40 is a cheap insurance policy for me if I ever need it. I just watched the eBay auction for a month or so and tossed a crazy lowball offer at them...and they took it.

I don't think I'd buy tires that were 5+ years old unless I was getting them for next to nothing.
    I want to try a pair of 165/65r14 Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires this coming winter.

When Tire Rack offered a $100 discount of a set of 4, I ordered a set (making them approximately $67/tire). This was in December of 2022. They are still on backorder.

The current price for them is $92.57/tire, but 5 in stock appeared for $78.56 (closeout special) this past week. So I called Tire Rack, and asked if they could fill my order from last December with those closeout specials?

The answer was "yes", but they would be $78.56/tire. He actually thought he was offering me a great deal, until I pointed out my order was approximately $67/tire. Could he fill my order for $67/tire? "NO!"

I found that sort of funny! I told him to keep his $78.56 tiires, & I will wait for the more expensive ones that I am getting for $67/tire later on. I don't really need or want them until late November. If I did change my order, I would buy two of them instead of a set, which I did consider.

If someone wants a set of Quatrac 5 tires, the 5 closeout specials are still there as I type this.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Pics?
    I don't take a lot of shops opinions very seriously, a lot are giving you advice so they can make money.
    This. I replaced the pads and rotors on the 2008 Acura MDX I sold to my brother about three months before he bought it last year. Every time he takes it in for an oil change they tell him he needs brakes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Basic (06-25-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Dirk remind me next time I'm in ATL and I will bring you a tire goody bag with an air gauge and a tread depth gauge so you can give ol George a break...

As for the wear, you are fine. Most of those Maximas blasting past you at three digit speeds on I-85 are rolling on homemade racing slicks at this point

As for the crappy OEM performance, it unfortunately has been set in stone by the car manufacturers at this point. Some brands like Porsche and the likes still require a quality tire, but most simply take the lowest bidder that can meet a certain set of criteria. And the criteria for a Mirage will be the lowest of the low, because outside of ultra low rolling resistance, there really are no necessary requirements.... a wheelbarrow tire could damn near meet the load requirements, and handling is a non factor...

Just be glad you aren't a Tesla owner who is finding out that their tires are averaging about 10k miles a set at close to $1500 for the set... oof. The Mirage wins again!
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-26-2023),Fummins (06-26-2023),Top_Fuel (06-25-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Dirk remind me next time I'm in ATL and I will bring you a tire goody bag with an air gauge and a tread depth gauge so you can give ol George a break...

As for the wear, you are fine. Most of those Maximas blasting past you at three digit speeds on I-85 are rolling on homemade racing slicks at this point

As for the crappy OEM performance, it unfortunately has been set in stone by the car manufacturers at this point. Some brands like Porsche and the likes still require a quality tire, but most simply take the lowest bidder that can meet a certain set of criteria. And the criteria for a Mirage will be the lowest of the low, because outside of ultra low rolling resistance, there really are no necessary requirements.... a wheelbarrow tire could damn near meet the load requirements, and handling is a non factor...

Just be glad you aren't a Tesla owner who is finding out that their tires are averaging about 10k miles a set at close to $1500 for the set... oof. The Mirage wins again!
    Ironically, the factory Dunlop Enasave tires aren't a cheap aftermarket tire. I am not commenting on their quality, but cost-wise they are not a cheap aftermarket option for the Mirage.

Which makes one really wonder what is the quality of a Dunlop Enasave, & how much of a marked up price is associated with it?

There's really no way around factory tires. I just use them up & move on to something hopefully better. In my case, I am looking for a better value. It may not be the best performance tire option.

I bought my 2011 Forester in 2013 with 15,000 miles on it, & the factory Bridgestone tires were horrible in snow (worst I have ever seen).

Within a year, I had a 2nd set of alloy rims & bought a set of Cooper CS4 tires that performed excellent in snow. During the summer months, I used up the factory Bridgestone tires.

Once my Bridgestone tires were completely worn down a couple years later, they were replaced with a set of Cooper Weather Master ST2 snow tires (wish they still made them), and my slightly worn CS4 tires became my summer set.

It's 2023 & my Forester has close to 105,000 miles on it. I am still using the two sets of tires I have bought to replace the original factory Bridgestone tires. The CS4 are 9 years old and have the most mileage on them, but they still have some tread left. When I slide my finger across the wear bar area, I still feel a bit of tread above it. That's all you really need to do to check this. A blind person could do it!

For those of you that don't have to deal with snow/ice conditions, I would start shopping for tires when you're at the wear bar level. I don't think anyone needs to panic at the wear bar level, but it's time to start looking for good tire deals. I wouldn't plow through rain on reduced treads in the meantime. If your tires don't look worn evenly (even after doing rotations), I would have an alignment done for the new set of tires, too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    ...the criteria for a Mirage will be the lowest of the low...
    After working for Hyundai-Kia, I would believe H-K would outlow Mitsubishi. They'd buy tires that were molded from dirt if at all possible.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)