Thread: Engine Breaking Questions

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question Engine Breaking Questions

Hi there!

While I understand the general explanation behind engine breaking, could someone possibly give me a breakdown of how I should apply that to my 2023 Mirage ES hatch?

I have some factors to add in as well. I've seen that engine breaking is typically between the first 500 to 1,000 miles. I just got my car yesterday, and I commute to work. The majority of my drive is on the highway, with a standard 75 miles per hour as the speed limit. Typically, the drive is an hour in the morning and about an hour and twenty minutes in the afternoon (roughly 60 miles one way), but I am housesitting a little closer so the drive is currently 40 minutes in the morning and maybe 50 minutes in the afternoon (roughly 40 miles one way).

What can I do to ensure that everything goes smoothly until I hit 1,000 miles? Would it be best to drive at 65 mph in the right lane? I just want to make sure that I don't mess up the efficiency of the vehicle.

Thank you for all your help in advance!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I believe this is what you’re looking for.

Name:  IMG_0609.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  92.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to defensivetackle99 For This Useful Post:

allyayealex (06-30-2023)

I wouldn't overthink it too much. It wouldn't hurt to do the first oil change ahead of schedule. All of the cars at work are just driven right from new. Nothing special.

I've got a 2015 in the shop right now with 521xxxkm/323,000miles on the original engine. It's been beaten pretty hard and it shows but still runs great!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

allyayealex (06-30-2023),Top_Fuel (06-30-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you for this! I appreciate it!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I wouldn't overthink it too much. It wouldn't hurt to do the first oil change ahead of schedule. All of the cars at work are just driven right from new. Nothing special.

I've got a 2015 in the shop right now with 521xxxkm/323,000miles on the original engine. It's been beaten pretty hard and it shows but still runs great!
    I guess I'm just overly worried and nervous, I'm so excited about this car I just want to make sure I take care of it the best that I can and hearing that you have 323,000 miles on the original engine is absolutely amazing! Thank you for your response!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by allyayealex View Post
    I guess I'm just overly worried and nervous, I'm so excited about this car I just want to make sure I take care of it the best that I can and hearing that you have 323,000 miles on the original engine is absolutely amazing! Thank you for your response!
    If you are concerned about anything it's the BRAKES that need breaking in. Look around online for advice. Properly broken in bakes will last longer, be safer and require less maintenance.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    There's those on forums to say to "drive it like you stole it" and it breaks in better. However, I'm a design engineer, I was for Toyota and Hyundai. I did that engineering crap for those 2 OEMs first hand. And I'd trust what the owner's manual says over what some unknown person on the internet may say.

I will say one thing. I'm a proponent of doing the first oil change early. I wish I could find the article, but it is "gone with the wind." GM published a study years ago. That took some number of (I think it was V8) engines. Maybe like 50 of them. The first 10 they ran for about 500 miles equivalent on an engine dyno and changed the oil. They did that again at maybe 1,500 miles, then maybe picked back up doing the oil changes by the book. The next number they changed the oil later. The next set of engines they just followed what the book said. The next set they extended all oil changes, including the first one. They put the equivalent of 100,000 miles on all the engines (from my memory).

Then they did various measurements of the engines after finishing running them. The ones that had had the earlier oil changes had statistically better compression. And it followed a very linear pattern of compression, to those that had the latest first oil change. They said statistically they predicted those with the first oil change would ultimately last longer and use less fuel. They also did oil analysis on all the engines as they did oil changes. The first oil change always had SIGNIFICANTLY higher metal count in it. But within acceptable limits. They stated that the reason for the better compression at the end of the test was that they got the metal out of the engine sooner, and the cylinder bore / pistons / rings, valves, etc simply had less wear due to having less free metal exposure. I hope I explained that well.

However, they said even the ones with later than even the book recommended were totally acceptable in their compression and performance at their 100k mile simulation test.

Point being, just do oil and filter changes regularly, and the little 3-Tapper will last.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

BigMW (07-01-2023)