Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Enasaves - w/or w/out rims.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

New Enasaves - w/or w/out rims.

I currently have two sets of Enasaves. 165-65/14. One set came off my 2017 the month it came home (Nov 2017, 550 kms) to mount snows and they have been stored in my garage since.

$500 - pick up only

Second set.

Same circumstances as above with the exception I chose to buy steel wheels for my winter tires.
    These alloys came off the day my 2014 Mirage (bought Oct 2016 w/53 Kms) came home.

$1000 - pick up only

Either set is new, less than 1000 Kms of driving. Stored in a heated space. Alloys of course have zero damage from curb rash or corrosion.

I'm not willing to negotiate prices, it is what it is.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

10-11 year old tires for $1000?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Basic (09-09-2023),MightyMirageMpg (09-09-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    ah, I'm not hiding anything. They are new if old.

10 year shelf life from date of manufacture. (as per several sources)
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...last-10-years/
    Last edited by Wallythacker; 09-09-2023 at 10:19 PM.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Fall sale
    Bare Enasaves $400/pickup only

Alloy with Enasaves $875/deliver possible for a fee

Remember, either set is new with basically 1000km or less, stored in a heated controlled garage.
    Last edited by Wallythacker; 09-09-2023 at 10:18 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    ah, I'm not hiding anything. They are new if old.

Nearly unlimited shelf life:
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...last-10-years/
    That article clearly states a 10 year max life. Old tires that looked perfect are what killed Paul Walker and Roger Rodas. Unlimited shelf life my Tire Engineer's Ass.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (09-09-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I know you're the tire guy but I'm just copy and pasting from various articles. I'll remove the unlimited part.

edit: tireforge gives a clear OK out to 10 years if they are inspected and have been stored right.
    https://www.tireforge.com/how-old-sh...-you-buy-them/
    Last edited by Wallythacker; 09-09-2023 at 10:30 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It is a conversation worth having any time it comes up to be honest. I just had to make a big post about it on a Harley Davidson page on the Book of Faces. A guy just bought a 20 year old bike that had like 1500 miles on it and had just been in a storage building the whole time. Dozens of people on there were telling him to just check for dry rot and run them. Just insanity.

Its not just about dry rot (ozone cracking) and rubber degredation... tires are like living creatures and need to be exercised. The longer they sit, the more comfortable they are in that exact position. And as more time passes, the waxes and oils that are part of the rubber protection package leach to the surface. This then reduces the rubbers ability to flex at its maximum potential AND adds a layer of potentially a very slippery material between the tire and the road.

So many layers to why. And look, I LOVE old tires. I have lots of old cars and trucks and tractors that just simply look better with old rubber patterns and sidewalls. But thats all they do is look. If you are going to use them at even 50% of their maximum potential, new rubber needs swapped on. Then back to the old stuff for show.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-10-2023),Top_Fuel (09-10-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,485 Posts
    I almost bought a 2002 Viper about 10 years ago. This was a really nice low-mileage car (12K miles) with original tires, so I knew the first thing I was going to have to do was put new tires on it (~$2000). The seller wasn't concerned about the tires because they had plenty of tread and he wouldn't budge off his asking price. So I moved on.

I guess he had the last laugh. He ended up holding onto that car and selling it a couple of years ago for almost $15K more than he originally wanted for it. And it still had the original tires on it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Interesting thing is in Ontario, with 200 checks on a car for a safety certificate there is no requirement for the tires to be under a certain age. There are all sorts of checks for bulges, thread depth, tire size, cuts, UV damage but it appears tires of any age are considered "safe". I mean we can be talking tires from the 70's on a classic car that has been stored in a climate controlled space that will be passed when that car has it's MOT. I read the 100 page safety standards document from the Gov. front to back and tire age is not grounds to deny a safety certificate for a car.

That means those 1970 BF Goodrich Radial TA's mounted on steel Cragar chrome wheels I mentioned in another post are considered safe on the Boss 429 Mustang they are attached to. (not the treadless tires, lol) When I go to the old car drive-ins there are a surprising number of very powerful low mileage muscle cars from the 60/70's with the FACTORY ORIGINAL TIRES!!! And no visible signs of degradation. These guys and girls would not risk their $100,000+ car on the fact their 50 year old tires will suddenly pop and kill them. Which brings up another question. How come, in my lifetime, I've never read of a classic car crashing violently because the original tires popped?

What about you guys in the UK with your every two year MOT. Have you ever been told your tires are too old and you failed for that reason?

I know tires are living things and the oils in them will migrate out and the belts need exercise and all that stuff. But, and this is addressed to Basic,

what specifically do the tire companies do or use to mitigate the aging of a tire? Surely some lines might have premium polymers or whatever chemical to keep the tire flexible and resilient verses the cheaper lines that will be prone to weather crack and develop obvious signs of UV damage.

Plus, I don't think I've ever seen ANYTHING in any tire ad EVER about the life of the tire expressed in years. Michelin has never bragged their premium line will be safe for say, 7 years. Why is that? If tire age is so important then why isn't a single tire company or OEM user been bragging about the age their tires will reach?

When stuff like I'm questioning is never addressed it makes me wonder if the reason it's never addressed is because there's no reason to address it. It's a nothing burger.

I'll end with a picture of tires I was going to mount on my Mirage. They looked good, tread measured fine, there were no cuts or sidewall damage or plug repairs. They had been sitting outside for several years but in sheltered area. I inflated them to 51psi to check for leaks and a day or two later this happened. Name:  IMG_20230701_182348.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  93.2 KB
    I shake when I think they could have blown out on the car and I may have had a horrible accident.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They don't have to do anything to mitigate risk because it's up to you too maintain your car.
    10 years old they are degraded Dunlop themselves says they are junk.
    Ide personally use them as spares/rollers but wouldn't be going on any trips or trying to sell them, or use them as a regular tire

https://www.dunloptyres.co.za/Tyre-C...%20look%20worn.

Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 09-11-2023 at 11:16 AM.