Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ex-tenant help?

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Ex-tenant help?

I moved out and they're trying to charge me $1400 for doors. I lived there over 8 years and the doors are probably 20 years old. There were some scuffs (parts ripped off the door) and scratches even before I moved in. They're trying to get me to replace all the doors with brand new ones.

Edit: BTW there was no holes in the doors, structural damage or any pealing

I thought maybe I would get charged for 2 that I put command tape of but they're replacing all of them. The rest had no series damage at all!

Any help for small claims court? I'm an accountant and already tried explaining the useful life of assets. They told me stuff doesn't have a useful life. They wanted a brand new front door because they said the paint color is discontinued......but Lowes and Home Depot can make any color paint you want with their computer scan system.

I'm trying to figure out how to formulate my defense. I have never been to court before.

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Do you have an incoming inspection report?

How about any photos close to when you moved in that could be compared to now?

Do you have an animal or anything else that could have damaged the doors? Robo vac, etc.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The apartment report isn't very clear and its management team is run by two 20 year olds. They fired the old management team, which wouldn't have charged me for this.

I have photos of the place moving out and a few moving in. We had a move in checklist with the old management team which was a real management company but everything got deleted when the new owners fired them. The new team tried increasing my rent 3 times last year and each time I sent them my lease PDF. They broke the lease anyway in November and increased my rent by $150, breaching the contract.

No animals, no dents or holes in the doors, these doors are in pretty good shape. Only scuffs and scratches from regular use and two doors with scuffs from command tape.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,561 Times in 1,486 Posts
    Formulate your defense? Are you being sued...or are they just tossing threats your way?

There are probably some decent legal sites you can read for some general guidance.

Here's a start: Normal wear and tear vs damage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  IMG_20230531_145720.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  85.6 KBName:  IMG_20230531_145551.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  103.0 KBName:  IMG_20230531_105700.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  84.1 KBName:  IMG_20230531_145651.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  99.8 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's a couple examples of the condition of the doors, you can see the scuff on the bottom photo

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Formulate your defense? Are you being sued...or are they just tossing threats your way?

There are probably some decent legal sites you can read for some general guidance.

Here's a start: Normal wear and tear vs damage
    It looks like the owner likes to go to small claims vs collections agencies.

I looked at some WA RCW and online sources, its not very clear on exact wear and tear. What is normal wear and tear for over 8 years of tenancy and if the original assets were still there and never replaced?

I'm hearing WA tenants are having landlords over charging and even winning.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    This sounds like they want go-away money from you. They don't really have a case but are hoping you decide just to cave and pay.

Tell them you're ready to go to court, will countersue, seeks damages and costs and as an accountant you can certainly lose a lot of money if you have to prepare a defense and take time off to go to court.

IMO, if you can present what appears to be a countersuit for TWICE the sum they want they will fold and go away.

Sources: been there, done that multiple times but nothing I present should be taken as legal advice. See an licensed attorney in your state.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks. I hope you are correct. The lease was actually under my moms name and she basically said she won't pay even if it hurts her credit. She wants to go back to her country in Asia.

The thing is I'm unreasonable and willing to pay $5k for a lawyer just so they get $0, but I want to win small claims. I will take everyone's advice and do whatever I can.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You're not unreasonable for standing up for yourself.

I mean, c'mon, you lived there, PAID your rent, didn't destroy the place or ruin the lives of other tenants and that's STILL not enough for these clowns? I've taken several similar "landlords" to court for nearly identical reasons. I never lost, not once, as they could never prove the damage was unreasonable for the time I lived there and/or the fact some things had pre-existing damage when I moved in.

One creep folded when she was hit with a counterclaim for $30,000 against her claim of $10,000 which she smugly said could be settled out of court for $5,000.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Marklovski (07-01-2023)