Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The least Expensive Car In America With An Automatic Tranmission Is….

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,759 Times in 2,156 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Dirk - Metric is no more precise. Precision has nothing to do with it. I'm an engineer (as you know) and I have dealt with standard and metric day-in and day-out for 100 years. Not just picking up something and going, Oh, this is 10 ML, so I need 3 of these to get me the 30 ML I need (which just happens to be 1 fl-ounce, more or less). I deal with measurements, tolerances, and production capability of said measurements to achieve things like accurate means to apply 10 ML inside a container so that the 10 ML of whatever substance is not 9.9 ML, and not 10.1 ML.

Indeed, precision is not why it is used by any industry. Metric is used because it is like CVT versus manual. Metric is EASIER. That's all.

Commie! -----> Dirk

You know I jest...
    Metric is quite simple & straightforward.

1.7 cm = 17 mm = 11/16"

2 cm = 20 mm = 13/16"

If you're doing math with a calculator, do you want to use decimal points or fractions?

0-100 C freezing point of water to boiling point

The best argument for metric is that we live in a global market.

"For the sake of accuracy and international business, more manufacturing companies like IBM, Xerox, Caterpillar, GM, and Black & Decker are using metric." May 24, 2021

We're partly metric anyways. So why not go the entire way? 1.2 L Mirage - I don't care how many cubic inches that is, but I can tell you 1.2 L is 1,200 cc without using much brain power.

I've been buying 2 liter bottles of soda instead of cans lately.

Tire width is expressed in mm, and the rim size is in inches. Seems silly to me, but that's what we do!

165 mm wide tire is 16.5 cm. It's so simple. Saying Mirage tires are 6 & 1/2" wide does not sound better to me?

Last edited by Mark; 07-07-2023 at 08:56 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

BigMW (07-07-2023)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just find it interesting that car companies that were killing it with sales let their cars just go to crap.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Metric is no more precise. Precision has nothing to do with it.

Oh, this is 10 ML, so I need 3 of these to get me the 30 ML I need (which just happens to be 1 fl-ounce, more or less).

Whut??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Metric is quite simple & straightforward.

The best argument for metric is that we live in a global market.

"For the sake of accuracy and international business, more manufacturing companies like IBM, Xerox, Caterpillar, GM, and Black & Decker are using metric." May 24, 2021
    The reality is that this has been the case for decades... I know our friend 7MO likes to jest, but there is ZERO reason to continue with the charade of Imperial. Even the trades that cling to it have moved to .000000000 instead of stupid fractions.

Even the culinary fields have realized that recipes based on grams or mL are so much easier than oz, lb, etc...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

BigMW (07-08-2023),Mark (07-08-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,106 Posts
    The actual reason that we don't go to full metric, is because ... IT'S PURE COMMUNISM!!!!

And manual transmissions should be completely done away with too for every vehicle on Earth, because automatics are easier.

We should only do things that are easy.
    Last edited by 7milesout; 07-10-2023 at 01:21 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Didn’t think Alex on Auto would make another video about the cheapest new car in America or even mentioned the Mirage until now:

https://youtu.be/Kic-HWS4z90

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.2 mpg (US) ... 18.4 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,106 Posts
    That video is a lot of talking...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow, great criticisms there. Who would've thought a super budget economy car would be....small and slow? Boring is obviously subjective.

Then he advises people to buy a steaming hunk of Kia. What a clown.

Name:  Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 16-34-45 Finding The Best Cheap Car In America! The Least Expensive 202.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  66.3 KB
    2022 Mirage ES [5MT/Infrared/OEM+] / 2015 CR-V EX [CVT/Black Pearl/Modded]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,759 Times in 2,156 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesboro View Post
    Wow, great criticisms there. Who would've thought a super budget economy car would be....small and slow? Boring is obviously subjective.

Then he advises people to buy a steaming hunk of Kia. What a clown.
    If Cadillac Escalade & Mitsubishi Mirage are both going down the freeway @ 70 mph, which one is going faster?

I haven't found a section of road my Mirage couldn't handle yet! I don't feel slow when I am going the same speed as everyone else around me.

I don't think super budget economy new cars exist today. I seriously don't!

I haven't really seen one since MrFixIt bought his 2021 Mirage ES manual (sand yellow) for $10,400 OTD. That price also included White Bear Mitsubishi/Minnesota delivering his wife's new Mirage to their driveway in North Carolina!

Brand new Mirages for $9,000-11,000 were super budget economy cars that made me forget about looking at used cars. I have a 2017, because WB was selling brand new ES manuals for $7,500-9,500. Brand new cars for under $10,000 OTD caught my attention. Why the world didn't take note of that at the time is beyond me?

I don't rule out used cars when Mirages are over $15,000, but that's me! New Mirages under $10,000 is another story, but we may never see that again most likely!

Personally, I don't even know how they can say inflation is as low as it is? Many simple items I buy are twice the cost of a couple years ago. Eggs, butter, bread, tires, car batteries, etc..... It's impacted almost everything! I don't mean to go on a rant, but everyone I know is saying the same thing.

People need to boycott new vehicles so affordable ones return! Just a thought!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    *regular budget economy car, sorry lol

2022 Mirage ES [5MT/Infrared/OEM+] / 2015 CR-V EX [CVT/Black Pearl/Modded]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jonesboro For This Useful Post:

Mark (07-13-2023)