Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I took a 2022 Mitsubishi Mirage ES up to June Lake, so you didn't have too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    That's impressive. Isn't that like a 7% grade for 7 miles? I can't imagine doing that in my car with the AC on. I turn off the AC going up a 2% grade for half a mile.
    I don’t believe OP. Back in college I drove my then 91’ Corolla 3 speed automatic to Lake Mammoth via Hwy 395 for Physical Geography Field Study and it rode fine. Elevation is 7,800 ft. Yes it was very slow to drive up there even on L gear without A/C however I achieved that feat. I stayed on D mode 90% of the time which was running less than 50% of the spec’ed 106 HP!

Like Toretto previously mentioned, “It doesn’t matter if you win by an inch or mile. Winning is winning” Me vs doubt.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.3 mpg (US) ... 18.4 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to defensivetackle99 For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (07-05-2023)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just A Stupid Person View Post
    The Mitsubishi Mirage, as you all know, is a pretty weak car, averaging at around 78 HP and 74 ft-lbs of torque. But I decided to take the Mirage up 7,654 feet into the air toward June Lake and let's just say... It was bad. The trip started nicely with the traffic in favor and I reached speeds up to 85 MPH. However, the car started to feel sluggish at around 5,000 feet of elevation. Then, things started going downhill (literally) at around 6,000 feet. The car stalled and rolled downhill until I pulled the emergency brake. A group of people in a Jeep pulled up and offered to tow us up the hill. We gladly accepted the offer and we were on our way. Things were looking good, until 7,000 feet. I had to keep shifting between low and D to keep the car from stalling. The AC had to be turned off as the engine started to feel like it was a lawn mower towing an RV. We then parked at our hotel and woke up the next morning to find out that the car would barely start. It took a solid 30 seconds for it to start. Then came the parking issue. The Mirage's 1.2L couldn't handle a 1-inch climb on a slope on a curb. We barely parked and it (thankfully) started when we came back. It kept getting stuck in the gravel on the trails, but we brought anti-skid pads because we expected this. We made our way home with not many issues and we managed to reach 81.4 MPG. So moral of the story: DON'T BRING A MIRAGE TO JUNE LAKE, CA. BUY A JEEP OR ANY 4x4 INSTEAD.
    I seriously doubt this story from the standpoint of EFI. The fuel mixture is adjusted for density altitude automatically to maintain CO, CO2 and O2 levels based upon atmospheric pressure and ambient temperature. There will be power reduction to about 65% of rated output but even at that the vehicle is not rendered useless as you describe UNLESS there is something else wrong with the machine or the operator.

Don't feel bad. I had to rescue a know-it-all doctor who forgot high and hot elevation procedures for piston powered airplanes. He was blessed to have made it back to the runway to make the call for a ride.
    Karl

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Try again OP

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (07-06-2023),inuvik (07-06-2023)

These things don’t lack power….

Usually…

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (07-06-2023),jonesboro (07-06-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good lord you flogged the ever loving hell out of that thing hahaha!
    -Karl B. 2015 Mirage DE CVT Utility Machine (and lots of other cars)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-06-2023)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Just A Stupid Person View Post
    The Mitsubishi Mirage, as you all know, is a pretty weak car, averaging at around 78 HP and 74 ft-lbs of torque. But I decided to take the Mirage up 7,654 feet into the air toward June Lake and let's just say... It was bad. The trip started nicely with the traffic in favor and I reached speeds up to 85 MPH. However, the car started to feel sluggish at around 5,000 feet of elevation. Then, things started going downhill (literally) at around 6,000 feet. The car stalled and rolled downhill until I pulled the emergency brake. A group of people in a Jeep pulled up and offered to tow us up the hill. We gladly accepted the offer and we were on our way. Things were looking good, until 7,000 feet. I had to keep shifting between low and D to keep the car from stalling. The AC had to be turned off as the engine started to feel like it was a lawn mower towing an RV. We then parked at our hotel and woke up the next morning to find out that the car would barely start. It took a solid 30 seconds for it to start. Then came the parking issue. The Mirage's 1.2L couldn't handle a 1-inch climb on a slope on a curb. We barely parked and it (thankfully) started when we came back. It kept getting stuck in the gravel on the trails, but we brought anti-skid pads because we expected this. We made our way home with not many issues and we managed to reach 81.4 MPG. So moral of the story: DON'T BRING A MIRAGE TO JUNE LAKE, CA. BUY A JEEP OR ANY 4x4 INSTEAD.
    I think this is a guy I mocked on reddit for $hit posting about Mirages awhile back, same lake story etc. He's got a hard on for the Mirage because his dad left his mom for man, who happened to drive a Mirage, no bs lol. He was bragging about keying Mirages whenever he saw one in a parking lot too.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-07-2023),Kosta0933 (07-13-2023),mohammad (07-07-2023)

Sounds about right. I'm sure that happens more often than we know realize...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)