Thread: Any difference between the 2015 and 2017+ drum brake sizing?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Any difference between the 2015 and 2017+ drum brake sizing?

Just wondering if there any major differences between the two models besides the adjuster mechanism? Having issues finding aftermarket shoes and hardware for a 2017+. OEM prices be highway robbery.

Quote Originally Posted by Airdack View Post
    Just wondering if there any major differences between the two models besides the adjuster mechanism? Having issues finding aftermarket shoes and hardware for a 2017+. OEM prices be highway robbery.
    They’re completely different. 14-15 drums are smaller diameter. No rear brake parts interchange between the two(15 and 17) except maybe e-brake cables might? Otherwise drums, backing plates, springs, shoes, even wheel cylinders are different.

A few years ago a lot of brake drum and shoe mfg had crappy figment info and would list 14-15 drums as fitting a 17+. Most have gotten that fixed by now.
    Look on rock auto, there should be shoes there. If any say they fit every year try a different
    Brand.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

craigq (07-15-2023),Top_Fuel (07-15-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,756 Times in 2,154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Airdack View Post
    Overall, I have found Auto Zone to be pretty good about having their Duralast brand parts available for a Mirage. I believe they are of good quality, too!

Duralast brake shoes would be $35 for my 2017 Mirage.

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...se&model=shoes

Rock Auto has 8 different brake shoes in stock (prices vary from $16.75 to $46.79).

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...rake+shoe,1688

You can take the brand & part # from Rock Auto and shop elsewhere. If Amazon has the same part for less & free shipping, you may want to go that route.

If I had to buy OEM Mitsubishi parts, I would sell my Mirage. I am not impressed with Mitsubishi when it comes to that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,485 Posts
    I bought OEM brake shoes for my 2015 because of the fitment issues that Fummins mentioned. I think I paid under $50 for them a few years ago. Things may have changed but they weren't that much more than aftermarket name-brand brake shoes when I bought them. I'm at 130,000 miles and I still haven't had to replace my original shoes yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)