Thread: Short warm air intake worth the money? efficiency/mpg

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Short warm air intake worth the money? efficiency/mpg

For the last 5+ years I've have a super crude warm air intake sucking off the radiator.
    it works really well, between it and grill blocks I can get pretty much whatever IAT temp desired

What I really dislike about it, is the 7x 90 degree bends in the system before the throttle plate, a few of which look terrible from a flow perspective. Thinking about making a super short intake that would basically suck from the same area, but with almost no bends at all.

The only real gain I'm hoping for is the efficiency of flow, not hotter/cooler air. Anyone have any real world experience, data or estimates, videos worth watching etc on what's realistic gain MPG wise, if anything?

pics of what i have and what ide like to build.

Attached Images Attached Images      

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 1,093 Posts
    I was thinking you had 7 bends in your makeshift WAI. But now I see what you're saying.

I can't really offer up much of a suggestion. Only that I think since your pursuit is mpg (cool), that if you find ways to improve the flow by changing the stock intake set up, I believe you will wind up reducing your reliability, and reducing your mpg. I think you're better off in both cases sticking to the OEM air filter and intake design. I think your set up is pretty optimum for what you're trying to achieve. Except in the looks department. In any event, kudos to you for what you have achieved.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (07-20-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,485 Posts
    If your goal is just to increase the intake air temperature, this design works well (but I'll admit it's going to cost a few bucks in materials).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)