Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi from Sweden

Country
    Sweden
    Thanks
    In Sweden you don't need as much power like in Germany or US because we usually drive between 80-100 km/h outside cities, 110 km/h is max. allowed speed on highways so 71HP is enough for normal ride. Everyone drives rather carefully and respectfully to the other road users. Much important are good brakes and extralights to spot a moose from a distance in the bushes on the edge of the road . (BTW - I was two times in US, once in California and another time in Washington DC - I even had a rental Lincoln Navigator with engine the size of my Mitsu and I didn't notice then you need all of displacement and power during normal run).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to M4c+1 For This Useful Post:

BigMW (07-28-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,760 Times in 2,157 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M4c+1 View Post
    In Sweden you don't need as much power like in Germany or US because we usually drive between 80-100 km/h outside cities, 110 km/h is max. allowed speed on highways so 71HP is enough for normal ride. Everyone drives rather carefully and respectfully to the other road users. Much important are good brakes and extralights to spot a moose from a distance in the bushes on the edge of the road . (BTW - I was two times in US, once in California and another time in Washington DC - I even had a rental Lincoln Navigator with engine the size of my Mitsu and I didn't notice then you need all of displacement and power during normal run).
    Americans just think they need all that power. It wasn't always that way here. I owned 3 different vehicles with less horsepower than my Mirage in my younger days. My 1978 Honda Civic Wagon & 1990 Ford Festiva (designed by Mazda, built by KIA, and sold by Ford) both had 63 horsepower. I drove the 63 hp Festiva for 14 years, & it was perfectly fine.

I wish small cars were more popular here. Currently, there is nothing in America that I would buy brand new today. Even the Mirage manual is gone now, & I would not own a small displacement car without a manual transmission. Sadly, many (not all) Americans don't like to shift, turn on their headlights, dim their lights, adjust their wipers, or hit the brakes for pedestrians. They desire cars that do all that for them. It's really quite sad in my opinion, but I am not the norm. Thus, finding an affordable, basic, small car with a manual transmission no longer exists for us (unless you shop the used market now).

I don't question the 71 horsepower Mirage itself. I question is this done to all your vehicles? When I look up a UK Mirage, the engine output seems the same as here. Are other vehicles like the small Suzuki cars also hampered in the horsepower department in your country?

I somewhat ask partly because my son-in-law & daughter live in a Scandinavian country (Finland). They own an older Fiat Punto that is shared with my daughter's mother-in-law & sister-in-law, too. Actually, one of my reasons for owning a 2nd vehicle like my Mirage is them. When they visit the States, they are free to borrow it.

I forgot to say this early, & I apologize. Welcome to the forum!!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

M4c+1 (07-28-2023)