Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low fuel mileage concerns: 9.1 KM/L

Country
    Pakistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle99 View Post
    This may not help but mine has CVT and it gets really bad gas mileage when driving below 30 mph with complete stop, idle, and go, heavy brake, especially with the A/C on at 61’F.

Turning off the auto circulation function and or keep the A/C on at 75’ F helps prevent drastic loss in MPG.

Maybe check the glovebox and see if there’s something clogged?
    This makes sense, 30mph = 50km/h which is about the average speed I generally hit between stops.
    Can you give me an estimate of your mileage so I can compare? Would be a useful benchmark for me

To mohammad: I have digital controls for the AC. Yes you are correct, when I set a higher temperature the compressor turns off more frequently

Country
    Pakistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    That surprises me. I didn't take AS&G in consideration as it doesn't work in my car when AC is on. Which means, yes, the engine is stopped, but is started again within a few seconds when the automatic temperature control decides it needs AC. And then it won't stop the engine again within the same stop. Maybe it's different when you have manual AC?
    As above, I have digital controls for the AC. When I stop at a light, the car turns off and only fan is running. It turns on either when I release the brake or car interior temperature is hot so AC needs to run.

Country
    Pakistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    AyAyron - Based on everything you posted, yes your numbers are low, but seems possible given your conditions.

DT88 - I don't know how changing the settings on the HVAC will help your mpg. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't believe we have a variable output compressor, but I may be wrong. In my understanding, if the A/C compressor is activated and running, your mpg is effected exactly the same no matter if it is on Fresh or Recirc, if you have the temp on 61 or 82 (or whatever the max is), or if the fan is at max or min.

So meaning: If you run at 61° Recirc and max fan (AC ON) and driving smoothly at 55 mph, and then the only thing you change is changing your setting to Fresh and turn the temp up to 70° (AC ON) still cruising at 55 mph ... your mpg would not vary. That's what I think anyway.

Turn the AC OFF, and your mpg WILL go up.
    Hm, let me try and see without AC in Oct-Nov when the weather cools down a bit. In the meantime, I will check if anythings clogged in the dash as recommended by DT99.

Should I have fuel injector/pump and filter checked as well?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Assuming you had the digital temperature control thingy(I dont even have A/C) wouldn't changing from fresh to recirculate or choosing a warmer temperature result in the compressor cycling on less often and/or for shorter periods of time as it needs to do less work to cool the already somewhat cool air?
    mohammad - No, I don't believe so. Maybe on more expensiver cars, it might do that. I think my Lexus LS 460L does something to that effect.

But on the Mirage, I believe changing to fresh only opens a door to let outside air in. Nothing more complex than that. And as for using the A/C but turning the temp up so the air is not as cold ... it just blends in warm air from the heater core to warm up the A/C cooled air.

For example, let's say it's 80°F outside and I turn the A/C on full blast cold, max fan. Because I like cold air flowing on to me. But my SUPER HOT 92 pound super model girlfriends who I request they wear bikinis everywhere we go tell me they're cold (happens to all of us dudes right?). So I turn up the temp for them, but do not turn off the A/C. Yes, the temperature coming out the air ducts will increase, but only because the hvac system is blending in warm air from flowing across the heater core. The compressor will still be working 100% like it was doing at my max cool setting.

This is how I believe our (inexpensive car, therefore) simple basic A/C system works. There's a chance I could be wrong.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)