Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MT: Won't shift, Shifts only when engine off. New Clutch cable.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

MT: Won't shift, Shifts only when engine off. New Clutch cable.

Hello friends,
    So recently my clutch paddle was left pushed in, realized it was the cable. Got a new cable installed, worked fine.
    Recently took the car in for one of those quick oil change shops, did the engine oil. Worked fine for a few days.
    As of yesterday, the car refuses to shift and there is grinding noise if I try to shift. At higher speed, I feel the clutch doesn't fully engage (because the RPM stays high). Thinking to take it to the shop. I am just hoping the quick oil change didn't accidentally drain the transmission oil when replacing engine oil. But I don't think they can be that incompetent.
    Thoughts before I take it in to the shop?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Before doing anything else, check the free play and the hight of the clutch pedal. If its not correct, the clutch can not work properly or wont work at all.

I suggest you download the FSM! It explains all.

You may want to look at post number 19 of this thread:

HOW TO: Adjust clutch engagement point - Mitsubishi Mirage / Space Star

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-09-2023),inuvik (08-09-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    This I already tried, when the clutch pedal cable was changed, I adjusted it to my taste and made sure the clutch engaged fully and properly. Today no matter how high or low I make the pedal by adjusting the knob shown in that thread you linked to, the shifting problem remains the same. Practically no shifting at all unless the engine is off.

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The clutch might be bad. I had this happen to my 17 ES.

Make sure to adjust the next clutch to your liking as well.
    Last edited by Fummins; 08-16-2023 at 09:28 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemoule View Post
    This I already tried, when the clutch pedal cable was changed, I adjusted it to my taste and made sure the clutch engaged fully and properly. Today no matter how high or low I make the pedal by adjusting the knob shown in that thread you linked to, the shifting problem remains the same. Practically no shifting at all unless the engine is off.
    Just a guess here. As I'm good as guessing, but terrible at doing anything.

I'm guessing that when the new cable was installed, it might not have been routed through the original cable route. And even after it was set right, the cable position might have shifted, and moved enough to throw off the cable / clutch setting. I *think* that's possible. I might be wrong on that.

2nd guess - Similar, whoever installed the clutch cable either damaged it, or routed it in a way that resulted in damage, and the new cable is broken, or in the process of breaking again.

That would be my guesses. Other than that, it would be a problem with the actual clutch. I did have a clutch on blue truck just go bad out of the blue. The pilot bearing busted, no warning. It didn't want to shift and made nastly grinding sounds too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hello My Smart idiotic friends,
    so took it to a shop that I trust, they confirmed it's the clutch that's gone. Now likely it's possible it got damaged prematurely due to improper cable routing. But looks like I'm gonna need a new clutch. How long should it take for a shop to install a clutch? Just trying to get an idea of the labour cost.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Precisely, and how long it takes will give me a rough ball park figure about the cost, which could help me know if the shop is being fair. Also parts are difficult to source for my mirage here, without going to the dealership. I am thinking to buy this one:
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/173203689413

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That makes me a lot more comfortable to buy it, and yes ebay has it for huge discount, seller seems to have good rating so I will go ahead buy it from ebay. Will report back shortly once it arrives and I have it installed. Stay tuned . Meanwhile, discussion welcome.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    @littlemoule: Good luck! On this side of the ditch it would cost me around €250 (US $ 250) for the complete clutch kit from the probably best maker LUK, plus maybe 3 hours labour if I did it myself in a hurry.
    If you want to "adjust it to your taste" again as you said in post3, you will not want to overdo it, or deviate more than a tiny bit from OEM instructions. The bell housing is a very space-saving construction, and wrong clutch play /clutch cable adjustment can wreck the s*it out of the gearbox and also the clutch plate too. There have even been cases of penetrated gearboxes with total loss of oil etc because of this. These AISIN gearboxes are common on various European made cars.
    I would certainly stick with the factory mandated adjustment as described in the FSM. Might save you $$$!