Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts

America is ready for the Mitsubishi Delica

I started this thread with Fummins & Dirk in mind -

https://www.thedrive.com/news/americ...subishi-delica

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (08-14-2023),inuvik (08-13-2023)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can't remember the marketing directors name, but basically he said all research done would point to Minivans being the best family vehicles based on what people needed but they didn't want the "image" of the Minivan. The Delica is everything a minivan is plus all wheel drive. The Delica is my definition of a perfect vehicle.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (08-14-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    I can't remember the marketing directors name, but basically he said all research done would point to Minivans being the best family vehicles based on what people needed but they didn't want the "image" of the Minivan. The Delica is everything a minivan is plus all wheel drive. The Delica is my definition of a perfect vehicle.
    I believe Mitsubishi's strength in the North American market could be niche vehicles no one else is making.

The Delica & Expo LRV would be at the top of my list.

Everyone has a pickup truck. Why even compete? Do something unique & different.

I know people who would buy a new Eclipse Spyder without much reservation.

Mitsubishi has the potential to be such a fun company, but they lack vision & good leadership. The Eclipse Cross is a prime example of this. The last new vehicle they needed was another SUV wedged between the Outlander & Outlander Sport. Seriously, it was a stupid move & sales numbers prove it. Almost anything would have been smarter!

Even if the Eclipse Cross had become popular, it would have mostly just taken away sales of their other models.

Imagine Mitsubishi releasing a new Eclipse Spyder, Delica, & Expo LRV in 2024?

Wouldn't that be fun! Instead we talk about how many Mirage trim levels there will be. A car that hasn't changed in 10 years!

I suspect the Alliance will kill off Mitsubishi some day, which is sad. It could be a fun & exciting company!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I started this thread with Fummins & Dirk in mind -

https://www.thedrive.com/news/americ...subishi-delica
    I had read that article earlier today and thought about Fummins too!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I read that article and couldn't agree more. The new Delica would be like the last compact minivan sold in the US, the Mazda5. Add on quality 4WD and raised suspension and it'd sell, especially since it'd be cheaper than a $50k Sienna.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I read that article and couldn't agree more. The new Delica would be like the last compact minivan sold in the US, the Mazda5. Add on quality 4WD and raised suspension and it'd sell, especially since it'd be cheaper than a $50k Sienna.
    I’ll be more than happy to trade in my G4 for Delica. Cautiously optimistic for this revival!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle99 View Post
    I’ll be more than happy to trade in my G4 for Delica. Cautiously optimistic for this revival!
    Don't be. It'd be a cold day in hell before Nissan lets Mitsu start selling their actual cool stuff in the states. I'm guessing when Mitsu approached Nissan about selling a mid size truck in the US market (rebadged Frontier), Nissan said no thanks, they don't need the competition.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Don't be. It'd be a cold day in hell before Nissan lets Mitsu start selling their actual cool stuff in the states. I'm guessing when Mitsu approached Nissan about selling a mid size truck in the US market (rebadged Frontier), Nissan said no thanks, they don't need the competition.
    Ok. Didn’t see that one coming and it makes sense. Sadly Nissan get the final says on production lineup

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

I think the newer Delica's just aren't the same. There's this one on Kijiji right now. But it's a 2.4L gas 4cylinder and I'm pretty sure they have a cvt...So no low range, no solid rear diff. I'm sure they're more capable than a Mirage but I'd prefer an older model just because they'd be more capable except in the fuel economy department(maybe). Would that thing be basically a similar year lancer drivetrain?
    Like many things, they don't make em like they used to.

I did find a clean appearing 2000ish models for around $10k. I'll probably limp the Mirage around for another year or two then let one of the kids finish it off. Unless I get something else before then...
    Last edited by Fummins; 08-14-2023 at 02:50 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    pre 1995 Delica is not legal to drive on the road in my state.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/main...i-delica-vans/

Last edited by 01-7700; 08-16-2023 at 09:41 PM.
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 01-7700 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-07-2023)