Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Mirage G4 CVT struggling in drive but not reverse

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Exclamation 2017 Mirage G4 CVT struggling in drive but not reverse

Hello all,

I would have to presume my transmission is toast. I picked this mirage up today for $900 bucks in decent condition aside from the fact that it struggles a little bit driving. Here's what I've noticed so far.

Transmission fluid looks like it's relatively fresh and has been changed recently. Bright golden color; No CEL codes, I haven't checked for stored codes but I don't have a reader anyways. Nothings popped up while driving it. Not a misfire or lack of engine power as it rev's fine in neutral and park.

On uphill's, I will press down the gas and it doesn't respond AT ALL. Sometimes at low speeds on flat surfaces, it stops responding completely and eventually will pick up and start to slowly go. Doesn't really go over 4K and behaves a little erratically. Reverse works fine in these situations.

Vehicle has 105,000 miles on the dash so I would like to assume that the issue is the belt in the CVT and the clutches aren't worn. (Car does respond the same way in sport and low as it does in drive). What are my options here? If I pull the transmission, is it even possible to replace the belt and or clutch? Or do I just need to get a brand new transmission? I don't think this is a solenoid problem as I would've thrown a code by now.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated. I'm not super familiar with CVT's and am not particularly a fan of them either lol. Thank you guys/gals/everyone in-between for reading and for the help.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    A used CVT from a junkyard is usually cheaper and easier than repairing it and will come with some sort of warranty/assurance that it will work. In neutral and park does it rev ok and sound fine when doing so?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Will do. In neutral and park it does rev okay I don't really have any doubts about the motor. All seems to point towards the transmission. It doesn't act up in reverse like it does in drive

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Have you checked for CVT codes? Im sure there is one for not shifting. You should probably have some code about desired ratio not being reached or about your output speed sensor being faulty.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have not - I don't have a CEL light on, is there another way to check for them? I figured that would mean that I'm not throwing anything

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Golden CVT fluid? OEM is bright orange or pale green. I wouldn't be surprised if cheap knock off CVT fluid was poured at the tail end of those 100k miles or hell, even regular ATM fluid instead by accident. I'm guessing the previous owner didn't do any kind of preventative maintenance on the transmission at all until it was too late.

I'd find a good tranny shop that doesn't have a problem outsourcing a lightly used Jatco CVT7 to drop in it. You want have any issues finding one in a salvage data base, as the Mirage will get totaled out hitting a cat, by insurance.

You're probably looking at $2k for parts and labor if the CVT is young enough. What you don't want is a shop telling you they'd only put in a brand new CVT7. That's six grand alone. I recommend a private mechanic that specializes in transmissions. Do not try and get this done at a Mitsu dealer, they will rape you on the price!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-14-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm just gonna tear it down in my garage and throw in a new one. Certainly won't be my first transmission job and definitely won't be my last. Seems pretty straight forward compared to some of my previous swaps.

Only question though. Is there a general difference between the transmissions throughout the years? Like, say 2018-2022. Will they just bolt up?

I'm sure I could really look into it and find out the details but you guys and you specially know your stuff on this forum

Thanks for the help too!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mirageman17 View Post
    I'm just gonna tear it down in my garage and throw in a new one. Certainly won't be my first transmission job and definitely won't be my last. Seems pretty straight forward compared to some of my previous swaps.

Only question though. Is there a general difference between the transmissions throughout the years? Like, say 2018-2022. Will they just bolt up?

I'm sure I could really look into it and find out the details but you guys and you specially know your stuff on this forum

Thanks for the help too!
    Fummins, our CVT guru, has swapped out many of CVTs for the Mirage and he said they're all interchangeable even though Mitsu has the 2014 Mirage with a different CVT part #.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mirageman17 View Post
    On uphill's, I will press down the gas and it doesn't respond AT ALL. Sometimes at low speeds on flat surfaces, it stops responding completely and eventually will pick up and start to slowly go. Doesn't really go over 4K and behaves a little erratically. Reverse works fine in these situations.
    Just for a goof, before you pull the trans out, put a vacuum gauge on the engine & check the vacuum when you are trying to accelerate. It kinda sounds like the exhaust may be blocked or restricted. Have you looked under the car to see if the exhaust may have got damaged?? If possible, loosen the bolts that hold the exhaust to the manifold & take it for a quick drive & see if it has more power or if the trans acts better... Just thoughts
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-14-2023)

I doubt the belt is worn. Could even be anything. You won't always get a trouble code if the cvt is effered though. At least not right away.

Kloger made a great suggestion. But being a 17' you'd have to unbolt the manifold from the head cause the cat is part of it.

The cheap cvt fluid that I use looks like engine oil(gold).

I know 100% for sure that 2014-2017 cvts interchange. I looked closely at 2018-2023's and I didn't see any differences whatsoever so I'd give one a try if you are positive yours is hooped. Swapping them out is exactly like any normal automatic.

If possible can you make a video of what it's doing? By not responding, the engine doesn't rev up or what? And finally, you might be able to pull the clutches and belt out as one piece while it's in the car but I'd be surprised if that's your problem.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)