Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Getting the hell out of Atlanta and going west!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Sounds like a plan! I can't wait to deal with my 1st Mid-West winter too!
    Still planning the big move?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Still planning the big move?
    Hi Mark! Good to hear from you! Yes, the wife and I are leaving Atlanta in the end of March and are very excited. The Mid-West still has a lot of affordable homes for sale and that's our dream, to finally be homeowners. We are simply priced out of Atlanta, where a shoddy built, new townhouse will cost you $500k easy. We've already scouted out Cape Girardeau, found us a rental for a year, and couldn't be more excited to move.

The Mid-West has actually seasons, unlike the rainforest of Atlanta, is over 30% cheaper in all regards (home, food, fuel, overall cost of living), and I like Mid-Westerners, as they're friendly but direct and dont suffer fools or bs. My mother's people also come from Missouri and Illinois, so I'll meet relatives I haven't met before including a plucky, 93 year old great aunt, who is still full of vigor.

The 2 scouting trips we went on confirmed that Cape Girardeau is perfect for us. It's a quaint college town, with a nice downtown that we'll be living in. It's 40k population (80k entire county) is not too big but not so small where everyone is all up in my business. 90% of the people living there are from there, which is a good sign. Traffic is non-existent. No archaic morality laws regarding Marijuanna (Ill be starting up a greenhouse). The weather, on avg is about 5° cooler than ATL, so its probably the warmest area of the Mid-West, which makes my wife happy. Chicago and the real cold weather of the Midwest, is 5 hours NE of us.

However it's not all sunshine and rainbows. There's the higher poverty level in Cape Girardeau, than in Atlanta. There's also an airport but connecting flights often take 12 plus hours to get from Cape to ATL. Also they don't paint lines on many of the city roads there oddly enough, but the roads are much wider than in Georgia. Maybe that's the German immigrant's, of the mid 19th century, influence on the town? The closest Mitsu dealer is an hour and a half away in St. Louis, which sucks though.

It's good to hear from you Mark! I hope you're well and I'm glad that thug, Putin, hasn't invaded Finland yet.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Dirk, I envy you for the move and congratulations. I wish I could do that with my family.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.3 mpg (US) ... 18.4 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle99 View Post
    Dirk, I envy you for the move and congratulations. I wish I could do that with my family.
    Why can't you? You sick of all that great weather and great looking women out there in the City of Angels?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hi Mark! Good to hear from you! Yes, the wife and I are leaving Atlanta in the end of March and are very excited. The Mid-West still has a lot of affordable homes for sale and that's our dream, to finally be homeowners. We are simply priced out of Atlanta, where a shoddy built, new townhouse will cost you $500k easy. We've already scouted out Cape Girardeau, found us a rental for a year, and couldn't be more excited to move.

The Mid-West has actually seasons, unlike the rainforest of Atlanta, is over 30% cheaper in all regards (home, food, fuel, overall cost of living), and I like Mid-Westerners, as they're friendly but direct and dont suffer fools or bs. My mother's people also come from Missouri and Illinois, so I'll meet relatives I haven't met before including a plucky, 93 year old great aunt, who is still full of vigor.

The 2 scouting trips we went on confirmed that Cape Girardeau is perfect for us. It's a quaint college town, with a nice downtown that we'll be living in. It's 40k population (80k entire county) is not too big but not so small where everyone is all up in my business. 90% of the people living there are from there, which is a good sign. Traffic is non-existent. No archaic morality laws regarding Marijuanna (Ill be starting up a greenhouse). The weather, on avg is about 5° cooler than ATL, so its probably the warmest area of the Mid-West, which makes my wife happy. Chicago and the real cold weather of the Midwest, is 5 hours NE of us.

However it's not all sunshine and rainbows. There's the higher poverty level in Cape Girardeau, than in Atlanta. There's also an airport but connecting flights often take 12 plus hours to get from Cape to ATL. Also they don't paint lines on many of the city roads there oddly enough, but the roads are much wider than in Georgia. Maybe that's the German immigrant's, of the mid 19th century, influence on the town? The closest Mitsu dealer is an hour and a half away in St. Louis, which sucks though.

It's good to hear from you Mark! I hope you're well and I'm glad that thug, Putin, hasn't invaded Finland yet.
    I'm glad to hear your plans are still happening. It sounds exciting!

My oldest daughter & son-in-law had their first baby last October. I look forward to seeing my new granddaughter some day.

I haven't seen you on the forum much lately, & I thought I would ask where things are with your big move. I'm glad they are still moving forward. I hope you keep us in the loop, & I am excited for you & your wife!

I wouldn't fret about the location of the nearest Mitsubishi dealership. I test drove a Mirage 1.5 hours away, & purchased one 4 hours away the next day. If the deal is good for the right vehicle, the distance doesn't bother me. I don't see my Mirage needing any warranty type work before reaching 10 years or 100,000 miles. If you find a good small town mechanic, you'll never want to visit a dealership for service ever again (unless it is warranty or recall work done for free). The largest town in my county has 5,000 people. Hopefully, you'll adapt nicely to your new home.

I'm glad you're renting until you find that right house, too! That way you can take your time & really find what is right place for both of you. Sounds fun to me!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good luck to you, your kitty, and your wife dirk

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I'm glad to hear your plans are still happening. It sounds exciting!

My oldest daughter & son-in-law had their first baby last October. I look forward to seeing my new granddaughter some day.

I haven't seen you on the forum much lately, & I thought I would ask where things are with your big move. I'm glad they are still moving forward. I hope you keep us in the loop, & I am excited for you & your wife!

I wouldn't fret about the location of the nearest Mitsubishi dealership. I test drove a Mirage 1.5 hours away, & purchased one 4 hours away the next day. If the deal is good for the right vehicle, the distance doesn't bother me. I don't see my Mirage needing any warranty type work before reaching 10 years or 100,000 miles. If you find a good small town mechanic, you'll never want to visit a dealership for service ever again (unless it is warranty or recall work done for free). The largest town in my county has 5,000 people. Hopefully, you'll adapt nicely to your new home.

I'm glad you're renting until you find that right house, too! That way you can take your time & really find what is right place for both of you. Sounds fun to me!
    Congrats Mark! You're a grandfather! That's a great feeling I bet. Will the child be born in Finland and get dual citizenship or what?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dookaughs View Post
    Good luck to you, your kitty, and your wife dirk
    Thank you brother! Wow you're all the way out in Utah huh? That's a gorgeous state. What's the cost of living like out there? I heard Idaho is getting pricey now?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Congrats Mark! You're a grandfather! That's a great feeling I bet. Will the child be born in Finland and get dual citizenship or what?
    Thanks! My granddaughter was born last October (2023) in Helsinki. My daughter has dual citizenship, but I guess I haven't thought about that concerning my granddaughter. Given she was born in Helsinki, that rules out her becoming the President of the United States some day. Oh well, I hope she grows up & does something else great!

My daughter had to learn the language & pass a test to become a citizen of Finland. I sort of like that requirement. Given she has a double major in Linguistics & French, learning another language was easier for her. She taught herself the Elvish language when she was a young girl. She was really into Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, and the movies were becoming popular at the time, too. Elvish is a bit like Finnish I am told. I think she's where she belongs, but I wish they were closer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Why can't you? You sick of all that great weather and great looking women out there in the City of Angels?
    Because family supports are not available elsewhere and no remote job available as well. Oh well I can only dream being in South Dakota.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.3 mpg (US) ... 18.4 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.0 mpg (Imp)