Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Getting the hell out of Atlanta and going west!

I don't dislike Fords because I'm an ignorant fanboy of any brand, it's because I work on vehicles for a living. I've worked on a lot of different fords and most of them are designed to be junked instead of repaired.

To me, Ford is the Kia/Hyundai of Domestics.

Oddly enough, the wife has a 2020 Kia...It's fine now and hasn't had a problem but I still wouldn't recommend someone else buy one because they have a history of being garbage cans.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (09-29-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Does the turbo 3 cylinder in the Escape use the same flawed "wet timing belt" design that is notorious for failing?
    Looks like the 2020 Titanium has at least a 2.0 I-4, not the 1.5 3-banger. Additional research confirms the 2.0 has a timing chain, the 1.5 and 1.0 have the wet timing belt. That's why you see newer used EcoSports listed for well under 10k because they're ticking time bombs.

Name:  ford_escape_specs.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  88.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Fummins we don't always agree but recognizing modern Ford engineering as trash is something I'm glad to agree on.

For 3 years I had to drive and maintain an F550 bucket truck with the....6.0 Powerstroke. I didn't like that at all.
    2022 Mirage ES [5MT/Infrared/OEM+] / 2015 CR-V EX [CVT/Black Pearl/Modded]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonesboro For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-29-2023),inuvik (09-28-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Does the turbo 3 cylinder in the Escape use the same flawed "wet timing belt" design that is notorious for failing?
    This is the first I've heard of the wet timing belt. A family member has one, and I warned them of the potential risk. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don't dislike Fords because I'm an ignorant fanboy of any brand, it's because I work on vehicles for a living. I've worked on a lot of different fords and most of them are designed to be junked instead of repaired.

Oddly enough, the wife has a 2020 Kia...It's fine now and hasn't had a problem but I still wouldn't recommend someone else buy one because they have a history of being garbage cans.
    I see what you're saying here, and I don't disagree with you. Maybe it's more a way to steer owners to dealerships for service?? I'm sure that's a part of this.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesboro View Post
    Fummins we don't always agree but recognizing modern Ford engineering as trash is something I'm glad to agree on.
    Seems to me all of today's cars are designed and built different from years past, in that more is stuffed into whatever size space making it harder to work on.

The internal combustion engine design has certainly changed over the years, no doubt.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Then how do you explain the Ford Maverick hybrid? Or it is too early to determine the true reliability of the Maverick re: long term usage? It is popular.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    This is the first I've heard of the wet timing belt. A family member has one, and I warned them of the potential risk. Thanks for the heads up.
    One of the dumbest engine design decisions Ford ever executed. Yah, if you have know anyone that has one of these engines, strongly suggest that they either over maintain it or trade it off on something else that's not going to have their engine grenade. The design is so flawed that at least for me I'd even consider a level of negative equity on a different vehicle because if you keep it the cost of either maintaining it or even worse replacing the entire engine when the belt blows would make a couple of thousand in negative equity seem like chump change. Just my 2 cents.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    As the title said, I'm getting the hell out of Dodge aka Atlanta. I'm sick of the heat, the traffic, the ever rising cost of living. This isn't my city anymore. I liked it better when rent was cheap and crack *****s walked the streets.

My wife and I are uprooting and moving out to Missouri, where the cost of living is 30% cheaper by all metrics! I want seasons, not feeling like I live in a rain forest. I'm moving to a town where the population is around 40k and the surrounding county another 40k, so too big but not too small either. I'm also going to be living somewhere where I don't have to hide in the shadows because I enjoy the Devil's lettuce. The best choice I ever made was quitting alcohol and picking up a peace pipe!

Mark, I'll be a lot closer to you now, so I'm coming up! My mother is from from the Mid-West, Rockford Illinois to be exact, so I'm excited to meet relatives I haven't seen since I was 6 years old. Salt of the Earth type people, my mother always said about Mid-Westerners.

Now just to convince the wife to negotiate out of our lease to leave early.........
    WEST? lol... dont go to CALI
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
    100% Agree. I’m going to start a new thread.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I see base Corollas listed for about $22,000-24,000.

I think Mirage prices are shameful these days, but that's just me.

If I were willing to pay $20,000 for a sedan, I would be buying a used Toyota Camry. I doubt I would even look at anything else, but I don't like sedans all that much. If I wanted a sedan, however, a Toyota Camry from a private party would be my primary focus.

Given today's car market, I would never recommend buying new to anyone. The average vehicle age on the road has climbed to 12.5 years. If I find myself driving an old vehicle, a Camry would be a great choice.
    They might be advertised for $24k but after dealer fees and mark ups, I promise you it's almost $30k.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
    Missouri is known as "The Gateway to the West" as historically, it's where pioneers started their journey to get to California, Oregon, etc.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-02-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    That area that you're looking at Dirk looks great. But let's get together before you leave. And, you know ... it's illegal to transport certain green plants in any form, across state lines. So, maybe you better let me hold onto ALL THAT just so you don't get into trouble.

Ha! J/K. I wouldn't know what to do with it!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-02-2023)