Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting the hell out of Atlanta and going west!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Getting the hell out of Atlanta and going west!

As the title said, I'm getting the hell out of Dodge aka Atlanta. I'm sick of the heat, the traffic, the ever rising cost of living. This isn't my city anymore. I liked it better when rent was cheap and crack *****s walked the streets.

My wife and I are uprooting and moving out to Missouri, where the cost of living is 30% cheaper by all metrics! I want seasons, not feeling like I live in a rain forest. I'm moving to a town where the population is around 40k and the surrounding county another 40k, so too big but not too small either. I'm also going to be living somewhere where I don't have to hide in the shadows because I enjoy the Devil's lettuce. The best choice I ever made was quitting alcohol and picking up a peace pipe!

Mark, I'll be a lot closer to you now, so I'm coming up! My mother is from from the Mid-West, Rockford Illinois to be exact, so I'm excited to meet relatives I haven't seen since I was 6 years old. Salt of the Earth type people, my mother always said about Mid-Westerners.

Now just to convince the wife to negotiate out of our lease to leave early.........

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

foama (08-16-2023),Fummins (08-14-2023),inuvik (08-14-2023),jonesboro (08-15-2023),Mark (08-15-2023),MetroMPG (08-17-2023),Top_Fuel (08-15-2023),vintzend (08-23-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nothing like pulling up stakes and heading out - hope the move goes smoothly!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ansebundren For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (08-15-2023)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Let me know when you find an area like the WA/Oregon forests but aren't in WA. I would go Idaho but the house prices were the hottest in the nation last year.

Plan is to work full remote and live in a cabin.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ansebundren View Post
    Nothing like pulling up stakes and heading out - hope the move goes smoothly!
    Thanks partner! What part of TX you from? My dad is from Dallas/Oak Cliff neighborhood. I'll still be a diehard Cowboys fan, just in the Show Me state.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    Let me know when you find an area like the WA/Oregon forests but aren't in WA. I would go Idaho but the house prices were the hottest in the nation last year.

Plan is to work full remote and live in a cabin.
    I don't think any area is quite like the rainforests of the Pacific North West. It looks like a different planet. I'd love living there but I'll just have to make do with the Mark Twain Forest.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I don't think any area is quite like the rainforests of the Pacific North West. It looks like a different planet. I'd love living there but I'll just have to make do with the Mark Twain Forest.
    The Southern Oregon coast is a really really nice place to live. It rarely freezes here (usually less than 5 nights a year). Snows even less. In the summer 75F / 24C is a hot day and the sun shines the entire summer through early fall. By early October the rain starts and doesn't quit until Mid March. You literally do not need air conditioning here. You'll have to take a trip out here sometime Dirk and see the sights.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-15-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What a coincidence, I was just in Hayti MO because a friend wanted some legal lettuce. It's only an hour away.

Should be even easier to come get those speakers installed!
    2022 Mirage ES [5MT/Infrared/OEM+] / 2015 CR-V EX [CVT/Black Pearl/Modded]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    The Southern Oregon coast is a really really nice place to live. It rarely freezes here (usually less than 5 nights a year). Snows even less. In the summer 75F / 24C is a hot day and the sun shines the entire summer through early fall. By early October the rain starts and doesn't quit until Mid March. You literally do not need air conditioning here. You'll have to take a trip out here sometime Dirk and see the sights.
    I want to go to the Hoh (pronounced "Hoe") National Park. They filmed a great sci-fi flick called "Prospect" there for its out of world plant life. When visited Seattle as a kid, I loved the overcast weather. England sounds perfect too, I'm a weird rain baby, loved it since I was a kid. I've had multiple bolts of lighting land less than 20 yards away from me over the years but my favorite thing to do is powerwalk thru a heavy rain, it's invigorating.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesboro View Post
    What a coincidence, I was just in Hayti MO because a friend wanted some legal lettuce. It's only an hour away.

Should be even easier to come get those speakers installed!
    No doubt my friend, we're moving next March, possibly January. I'll be in Cape Girardeau, about 85 miles up river of Hayti. It sucks Tennessee hasn't ended prohibition. It's getting ridiculous at this point, these hold out states where the politicians ignore poll after poll of majority votes from state citizens. Mark my words, when the seige finally ends, it'll be because Texas finally got on board with cannabis. That's the southern powerhouse state that other Southern states often look to for policy guidance, Florida as well too.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I want to go to the Hoh (pronounced "Hoe") National Park. They filmed a great sci-fi flick called "Prospect" there for its out of world plant life. When visited Seattle as a kid, I loved the overcast weather. England sounds perfect too, I'm a weird rain baby, loved it since I was a kid. I've had multiple bolts of lighting land less than 20 yards away from me over the years but my favorite thing to do is powerwalk thru a heavy rain, it's invigorating.
    Seattle was a golden place in the 90s. The State got worse in almost everyway. Everything is crowded, expensive. East WA might be better but I need a lot of trees and water. I might consider some remote areas in WA just to get away from people.

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire