Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Jalopnik Article on Mirage discontinued in 2025

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,098 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    My next money splurge may be a new aluminum trailer. My 1994 4' x 8' rusty steel trailer has seen better days, & I could really use one a bit bigger (5' x 10') would be much better for my Kawasaki Mule and compact diesel tractor with an attachment on the back. I sort of have one already picked out. A trailer vendor near my parents sells a brand made locally only for them. A 6' x 10' aluminum trailer is only $2,195, & I have checked them out in person. They are really well made, and that is an excellent price. Most used aluminum trailers are priced higher. Trailers are cheaper than pickup trucks and in my mind they are more useful for hauling boy toys, too.
    Mark - Not only is everything above wise and I agree with, but your Mirage can pull those trailers (empty at least) if you really needed to. For example, if you sold your Forester.

My 5' x 10', every now and then I realize, I bought the perfect size. A 5' x 8' would not have been able to hold my golf cart. As for your 6' x 10' aluminum, the only thing I will say is ... do you have any gates to drive that trailer through? Check the width of those gates, to make sure a 6' trailer will go through. My 5' trailer barely fits through my double-gate (to park it in the back yard). A 5' x 10' is the perfect size in my opinion. Mine (steel with a wood floor), cost me $920 or $940. One of the best things I have ever purchased.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,754 Times in 2,152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Mark - Not only is everything above wise and I agree with, but your Mirage can pull those trailers (empty at least) if you really needed to. For example, if you sold your Forester.

My 5' x 10', every now and then I realize, I bought the perfect size. A 5' x 8' would not have been able to hold my golf cart. As for your 6' x 10' aluminum, the only thing I will say is ... do you have any gates to drive that trailer through? Check the width of those gates, to make sure a 6' trailer will go through. My 5' trailer barely fits through my double-gate (to park it in the back yard). A 5' x 10' is the perfect size in my opinion. Mine (steel with a wood floor), cost me $920 or $940. One of the best things I have ever purchased.
    I paid $387 (brand new) for my 1994 Ole Reliable 4' x 8' tilt bed steel trailer. At the time, I was towing it with my 1989 Plymouth Colt Wagon,& I didn't own any large boy toys back then. It has served me extremely well for the past 30 years!

Today's trailer prices in my area -

5' x 10' Karavan steel trailer = $2,199 @ Home Depot ($200 off applied to original price)

5' x 10' Teske steel trailer = $1,899.99 @ Blain's Farm & Fleet

6' x 10' Karavan steel trailer = $2,299.99 @ Blain's Farm & Fleet

5.5' x 10' Carry-On steel trailer = $1,999.99 @ Tractor Supply

5.5' x 10' Carry-On aluminum trailer = $3,499.99 @ Tractor Supply (notice $1,500 extra for aluminum)

Aluminum is lighter, & it doesn't rust like steel trailers in our area. I don't mind paying a little extra for aluminum. Thus, this is why I like this $2,195 aluminum trailer listed below. It's made in Wisconsin & sold by only one trailer vendor. I believe their costs are kept down, because less shipping is needed.

https://www.sbtrailersales.com/produ...rs-6x10-lilpup

They did offer a 5' x 10' model for $100 extra ($2,295), but I was told they were no longer making them when I visited them. I might be able to have one custom made, but then I am paying more for less.

6' wide trailers have become more common, because zero-turn mowers have become more common (many have wide decks). My dad's John Deere has a 60" deck, & it would be hard to load on a 5' wide trailer because of its side chute.

If I decided to go with a steel trailer, I may look for a used one. I like the thought of the aluminum trailer at this point in my life.

I have zero interest in towing a trailer with my Mirage. I can hardly get to 2nd gear after leaving my driveway & heading towards my nearest neighbor. That's pulling nothing! My tractor with an implement attached is a good load. I'm probably pushing the limits with my Forester. Going down hill with large loads would be scary with a Mirage. It's just not being smart. I've seen pickup truck lose large loads (like fertilizer boxes), and it's not pretty!

I agree, however, a 5' x 10' trailer is a perfect size for most things. If I had a larger vehicle back in 1994, I would have bought the 5' x 10' version of my trailer, and I really regret not doing that now. I still can't complain about what my $387 trailer has done for me the past 30 years.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,098 Posts
    $387 was well spent! And yes, I'd say rush out and get that aluminum 6' x 10'. Heckuva deal. Do you have any gates to go through? I would rather have aluminum versus my wood, because wood will rot. Although, it is replaceable.

As for your hill, you could always tra-la-la-la-la-along in first whilst towing with your Mirage to get to your big hill. Then let that first gear rip asphalt putting all those torks down pulling that hill. I thought I remembered you already have a hitch on your Mirage. Otherwise, unless you're a nut like me, no sense to put a hitch on it since you have a hitch on the Forester.

It's not like I think the Mirage is a super great towing machine. Personally, I think it does, exceptionally well for such a little turd. But what really gets me is ... I don't like PAYING for gas. The fact that I can tow my M109R so comfortably with the Mirage and get 33.7 mpg on regular unleaded, versus about 16 mpg in the Sierra, or maybe 18 mpg in my Ram (burning diesel at a premium), just makes me giggle and want to do it. I wonder if I have a brain bleed that shorts blood flow away from the parts of my brain that might tend to suggest doing things more sensibly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,754 Times in 2,152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    $387 was well spent! And yes, I'd say rush out and get that aluminum 6' x 10'. Heckuva deal. Do you have any gates to go through? I would rather have aluminum versus my wood, because wood will rot. Although, it is replaceable.

As for your hill, you could always tra-la-la-la-la-along in first whilst towing with your Mirage to get to your big hill. Then let that first gear rip asphalt putting all those torks down pulling that hill. I thought I remembered you already have a hitch on your Mirage. Otherwise, unless you're a nut like me, no sense to put a hitch on it since you have a hitch on the Forester.

It's not like I think the Mirage is a super great towing machine. Personally, I think it does, exceptionally well for such a little turd. But what really gets me is ... I don't like PAYING for gas. The fact that I can tow my M109R so comfortably with the Mirage and get 33.7 mpg on regular unleaded, versus about 16 mpg in the Sierra, or maybe 18 mpg in my Ram (burning diesel at a premium), just makes me giggle and want to do it. I wonder if I have a brain bleed that shorts blood flow away from the parts of my brain that might tend to suggest doing things more sensibly.
    I put a used hitch on my Mirage for my rear bike rack. I don't have the wiring set up for my Mirage, and I will always use my Forester to tow. I'm just not interested in using my Mirage in that manner.

I tow my trailer around the yard & the neighborhood with my Kawasaki Mule. If I go beyond my dead end road, I am using my Forester. I don't have any gates. My ridge road going down into my woods is somewhat narrow, but that's why I own a Mule. I can't pull a small trailer up that hill with my tractor. My Mule is my pickup truck. Without it hauling firewood, dead deer, and my fat a-- out of my woods would be difficult.

Some friends of mine came to turkey hunt my property while I was gone fishing 2-weeks ago. One of them brought their brand new 4 seat Polaris Ranger over. He was foolish enough to go up my ridge trail without shifting into 4WD first. He spun out, slid backwards, and a small tree ripped one of his side mirrors completely off. There were 3 guys in the Ranger & hunting gear. My point - I never take a trailer down there. I'm not sure I would get back up even unloaded.

Yeah, that trailer is a good deal, & the price hasn't changed in the past year or two. It will probably go up tomorrow now. I spent a lot money on other stuff last year. I may buy the trailer later this year. I don't really need it at this moment, but it would be a nice upgrade for what I already have.