Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any issues with the 2014 Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Any issues with the 2014 Mirage?

I have a couple 2014 Mirages in sight to buy. About 125,000 miles on them. Were there any issues with the first year model? I just can't afford 6 to 8K for a later one right now. Want to spend around 4K. Looking at 5 spds. Thanks for any info.

There were a couple people over the years that had their flywheels replaced on 2014's after the teeth ground off. I don't remember if that was a cvt only thing or if any manuals had the same issue.
    I've had 2 2014's, first one had a rod knock with less than 30k miles on it. It was replaced under warranty then I sold it. I bought my current 2014 with about 175k miles on it and the cvt was iffy. Engine ran fine for 6 months then spun a rod bearing one day out of the blue. I replaced the engine and re-used the old 2014 flywheel cause it looked fine and has never had an issue.
    I was hesitant to buy a first model year but the only changes that I noticed between 2014(or maybe it's an early production 14 thing) and 2015' is the front and rear abs sensors. The rear sensor wiring is routed completely differently than on the later cars and the front sensors have the connectors reversed, one style has the female end on the sensor side and the other is the opposite so they don't interchange without some soldering, butt connectors or duct tape..
    If anything make sure the engine doesn't knock.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-18-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you for the advice. Are replacement engines readily available? Or are we talking salvage yard motors? One of the reasons i love the Metros is ease of working on them. I was hoping the Mirages would be close to the same animal.

Yeah used parts are easy enough to find. These things are written off pretty so parts supply should be good for a while. The only complicated part about these Mirages is the wiring but the only problems I’ve seen has been chaffed or corroded wires that’s pretty easy to fix. Everything is easy to maintain, spark plugs are easy to change without having to pull the intake manifold off…no splash shield to remove to change the oil etc…

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Moparfreak (08-17-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparfreak View Post
    I have a couple 2014 Mirages in sight to buy. About 125,000 miles on them. Were there any issues with the first year model? I just can't afford 6 to 8K for a later one right now. Want to spend around 4K. Looking at 5 spds. Thanks for any info.
    Piston slap and oil usage in my 2014. A quart every 4-5000 miles. When you only have 3 qts. to begin with losing a qt. is a big drop.

The wiring under the support for the driver left foot can corrode. IIRC it was a recall for a free fix. A free flash to lean a cold engine, some were so rich if a cold engine stalled you might be screwed. Ask our guy here, Fummins.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you for all the reply's. Wallythacker how many miles on the motor for the piston slap/oil consumption?

Here's what my first 14' Mirage sounded like. I drove it for about a year like this then took it in and got a new engine https://youtube.com/shorts/Io9r5PRbIFw

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-18-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Holy cow! That is bangin. Sadly can't get a new engine now... I am amazed it lasted a year!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparfreak View Post
    Thank you for all the reply's. Wallythacker how many miles on the motor for the piston slap/oil consumption?
    It started using oil badly @9000 miles and got worse with noisier piston slap to 30,000 miles then it was totalled in accident.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Moparfreak (08-22-2023)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Mine is a 2014 and the entire car is almost in mint condition, and no detectable oil consumption, no piston slap.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (08-23-2023),Moparfreak (08-23-2023)