Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Press article about Mirage, last sub $20k new car

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Canadian Press article about Mirage, last sub $20k new car

The article points to many complaints about the new car market we all complain about on the forum, namely the ridiculous prices for any new car, the lack of real econo-boxes on sale today, etc. Worth a read.

Interesting statistic they mention, is that besides the fact that the Mirage is the last new car you can get for under $20k, there are like 30+ cars for sale that go for over $100,000... and in 2018, the number of $100k+ club was 1/3 of that.

Honestly, when I see the list price of a Jeep Grand Wagoneer, I think, that's a lot more than my first house cost! And it's not gonna rust out eventually lol.

Looking for a new car under $20,000? Good luck. Your choice has dwindled to just one vehicle

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/tops...671092d95&ei=7

Name:  Canadian press.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  64.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-21-2023),MetroMPG (08-31-2023),Top_Fuel (08-21-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Wasn't there some cheap Nissan model sold in Canada?

We still have this choice in the US...which is less expensive than a Mirage and it has a manual transmission...

Name:  versa_2.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  62.9 KB

I see that my local newspaper just picked up this story from the AP...which is fake news in the US.

Name:  fakenews.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  74.4 KB

edit - A Kio Rio is also less than $20,000 in the US.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 08-21-2023 at 06:08 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (08-25-2023),inuvik (08-21-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts

Nissan Micra in Canada had a very basic trim level that was under $11,000 I believe.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (08-21-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Nissan Micra in Canada had a very basic trim level that was under $11,000 I believe.
    Last Micras I recall were about $13k basic build in 2016. I nearly bought one.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-23-2023),Top_Fuel (08-23-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Last Micras I recall were about $13k basic build in 2016. I nearly bought one.
    I thought the Micra was a pretty nice car, but the mpg rating was not impressive for a small car. One forum member owned both a Mirage & Micra (Nickels I believe).

A Mirage powertrain in a Micra body would have been appealing to me. I had the impression that the Nissan Micra handled much better on the highway.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-23-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I work for a Mitsubishi dealer and we've been emailed letting us know that despite the article(s), we're still selling the Mirage for the foreseeable future.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mirthmobile For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-27-2023),jonesboro (08-28-2023),Mark (08-27-2023),MetroMPG (08-31-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mirthmobile View Post
    I work for a Mitsubishi dealer and we've been emailed letting us know that despite the article(s), we're still selling the Mirage for the foreseeable future.
    Unless something replaces it, I don't see a reason to drop it. Having said that, sales have tanked last time I looked at the numbers. A Mirage has to be priced right to remain attractive to buyers (who may look at used cars as an alternative).

It's either that or we just really hate small, economy cars here. That could be the case, but I can't relate to that thinking.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Unless something replaces it, I don't see a reason to drop it. Having said that, sales have tanked last time I looked at the numbers. A Mirage has to be priced right to remain attractive to buyers (who may look at used cars as an alternative).

It's either that or we just really hate small, economy cars here. That could be the case, but I can't relate to that thinking.
    Too bad Mitsu 100% stopped offering manufacture discount for the Mirage/G4 just to help strengthen the sale and their brand. It had tremendously made a difference for shoppers like you, me, and such.and now…nada. I don’t buy that they aren’t building Mirage enough to meet demands when they fail to realize that discount offers is their DNA in shoppers mind…like JcPenny for example historically known for offering coupon to the customers! WB does that strategy as they have over 20 mirages on their lot and it had works, at least for you, me, and someone else.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle99 View Post
    Too bad Mitsu 100% stopped offering manufacture discount for the Mirage/G4 just to help strengthen the sale and their brand. It had tremendously made a difference for shoppers like you, me, and such.and now…nada. I don’t buy that they aren’t building Mirage enough to meet demands when they fail to realize that discount offers is their DNA in shoppers mind…like JcPenny for example historically known for offering coupon to the customers! WB does that strategy as they have over 20 mirages on their lot and it had works, at least for you, me, and someone else.
    Most Mitsubishi dealers suck, and that doesn't help their cause. I think a base model that started @ $12,000 would seem more attractive. Offer a few upper trim levels that load up features some can't live without & have those top out at about $15,000. I think that is a realistic value for these cars.

Before someone jumps all over me over this. These cars were selling for $7,500-$9,500 (ES manual) when the updated 2017 models came out. It wasn't a one day sale either. I was tempted for most of the year, until I broke down & bought one in October.

That was a shockingly good price for back then. I think $12,000-15,000 would be seen as a shockingly better price today. Speaking for myself, I'd rather buy used than pay over $10,000 for a Mirage, but a new $12,000 manual would still tempt me in today's market.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Most Mitsubishi dealers suck, and that doesn't help their cause. I think a base model that started @ $12,000 would seem more attractive. Offer a few upper trim levels that load up features some can't live without & have those top out at about $15,000. I think that is a realistic value for these cars.

Before someone jumps all over me over this. These cars were selling for $7,500-$9,500 (ES manual) when the updated 2017 models came out. It wasn't a one day sale either. I was tempted for most of the year, until I broke down & bought one in October.

That was a shockingly good price for back then. I think $12,000-15,000 would be seen as a shockingly better price today. Speaking for myself, I'd rather buy used than pay over $10,000 for a Mirage, but a new $12,000 manual would still tempt me in today's market.
    I see. If your Mirage, hypothetically speaking, ever get totaled today, what would be your next replacement?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)