Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dip a Trip to the Strip in my Whip...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,502 Times in 1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    that's a risky amount of tongue weight
    I realize that not everyone reads all my well-crafted, easily understood, brilliant threads. But regarding tongue weight, the landing gear of my utility trailer puts 87 pounds to the ground. With the bike and Condor front chock added to the trailer, I have positioned all that crap where the load is 89 to 90 pounds (total) to the landing gear. That probably translantes to 100 pounds at the hitchball. There's very little added weight on the hitch with the murdersickle load, it's very neutral, the load is nearly 100% carried by the trailer axle, suspension, tires. So even with 1,600+ pounds, the tongue load is not enormous.

When loaded, the car doesn't look like it's being crushed. It's not doing the Carolina Squat. It looks pretty darn reasonable. It tows unexpectedly well. But I haven't had to whomp on the brakes hard with that combo. I hope I never need to. I drive very conservative and defensively.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I realize that not everyone reads all my well-crafted, easily understood, brilliant threads. So even with 1,600+ pounds, the tongue load is not enormous.
    A properly loaded trailer has 10% of the total gross trailer weight on the tongue.
    This means cargo plus trailer weight (2700lb his estimate)
    A class 1 hitch is rated for 2000lb gross pull weight and 200lb of tongue weight.

No matter how you slice it, even if fummins perfectly loads it, it's overloaded
    He's a grown man he can do whatever he wants to do, Lord knows I've done my fair share of stupid ****, but there's a significant difference in safety between towing a piloted car and a trailer that can't steer its way to safety.
    Don't hand out bad advice.
    Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 08-29-2023 at 01:45 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    A properly loaded trailer has 10% of the total gross trailer weight on the tongue.
    This means cargo plus trailer weight (2700lb his estimate)
    A class 1 hitch is rated for 2000lb gross pull weight and 200lb of tongue weight.

No matter how you slice it, even if fummins perfectly loads it, it's overloaded
    He's a grown man he can do whatever he wants to do, Lord knows I've done my fair share of stupid ****, but there's a significant difference in safety between towing a piloted car and a trailer that can't steer its way to safety.
    Don't hand out bad advice.
    Not sure what you're talking about. But what I was talking about, "1,600+ pounds..." was refering to my utility trailer and motorcycle. I measured with a scale, the load at my landing gear, which is probably within 5 to 10 pounds of the actual hitch ball load. My tongue load is between 95 lbs to 100 lbs. I said it was not enormous. Which is true. That wasn't advice, it was data.

And "A properly loaded trailer has 10% of the total gross trailer weight on the tongue" is a nice thing to quote from the internet, but in practice it is not necessarily absolutely optimal. There are some very interesting "tow" videos of actual towing and even towing experiments that are quite interesting and educational.

I can atest that I slammed some very hard bumps. I'm pretty sure my trailer tires jumped off the ground at least once, at speed. I almost lost a ramp and they were strapped down. But the load was very stable. Not recommending anyone tow with a Mirage. Just sharing my experience.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was clearly talking to and about fummins. Maybe go back and read my "finely crafted and easy to understand post" cheers.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I guess I was cornfused because I'm the one who first mentioned my "well-crafted, easily understood, brilliant threads." Proof again at how well I write. It seems to have created cornfusion again, especially to me.

The landing gear part confuses me. Do you have an 18 wheeler or aircraft?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Whachu wanna call it?

handle spinny trailer lifty upper dropper downer cranker back saver thingamajig

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Aaaaaight. Done.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-30-2023)

I've never weighed tongue weight before, according to the 10-15% rule I should have 1500-2100lbs of tongue weight with my trailer. It's a pita and weight varies throughout a trip. adding 17-1800lbs behind the rear axle with a side by side then 1000lb(120gallon water tank) ahead of the front axle can affect how the thing handles a lot! As for little trailers I always just wing it, slowly get up to speed and if you have poop in your pants then you need to adjust the load one way or another. So far I've only had to throw out one pair of underwear.