Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible mild hybrid conversion using alternator?

cvt connoisseur, of sorts OrganicFoxes's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This idea would honestly go great with some solar panels on the roof. I have always thought about the possibilities of having solar, have not thought of this before though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can't remember exactly, but my old electric golf cart ran an electric motor and I believe it was something like 2 hp. Could have been anywhere in the 2 to 4 hp zone. But you know, gearing and how it is coupled to the drivetrain makes a difference. Mine wasn't stock (of course), and it would move pretty good.

Even if our alternator could put out 2 hp, I don't think it would be as effective transmitting it to the drivetrain as a golf cart's motor does.
    Would it be possible to replace the alternator with a regular brushless (or possibly even brushed) motor? If that's the case, then it might possibly be cheaper to do that.

2014 ES 5MT - 27k mi. Averaging ~40MPG because I'm an idiot.

If it ever seems like I'm being rude at all, I'm sorry, I don't mean for it to come off that way.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,106 Posts
    What if, and I'm just what if'n here, but what if an electric motor from a golf cart were added to the serpentine belt route. Now, I'm not SUGGESTING doing that, I'm just what if'n with the assumption that magically someone mounted one and found a new serpentine belt that fit. This what if'n might loosen up much better ideas.

Assuming a motor was added magically, and pulled the belt in such a fashion that it didn't slip. I still foresee problems. Primarily in the CONTROL department (is what I see as a problem right now, probably many more issues). In the case of a manual transmission, it would have to be controlled properly so as not to be pulling when off-throttle during a gear change. And then there's the power issue. That motor can probably suck the juice out of an auto battery faster than the alternator can juice it back up. I'm a moron when it comes to the behavior of electrons. So, none of this may make any sense.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    What if, and I'm just what if'n here, but what if an electric motor from a golf cart were added to the serpentine belt route. Now, I'm not SUGGESTING doing that, I'm just what if'n with the assumption that magically someone mounted one and found a new serpentine belt that fit. This what if'n might loosen up much better ideas.
    I never actually considered how hard it'll be to actually install it, nor where to if I couldn't put it with the alternator. I was just thinking that future me would figure it out lmao. If it turns out to be too hard, it could be put in another place.

Assuming a motor was added magically, and pulled the belt in such a fashion that it didn't slip. I still foresee problems. Primarily in the CONTROL department (is what I see as a problem right now, probably many more issues). In the case of a manual transmission, it would have to be controlled properly so as not to be pulling when off-throttle during a gear change.
    Fair point, a button of some sort could be wired up to the clutch such that it cuts all power to and from the motor when it's fully depressed. This might work well, because it'll still let the engine charge the battery when in neutral (like at a stop-light).

And then there's the power issue. That motor can probably suck the juice out of an auto battery faster than the alternator can juice it back up.
    I was planning was using the motor as the alternator, charging the battery when engine braking and discharging it when assisting. What I'm assuming that you mean is that it'll take more effort to charge the battery vs what it provides during assisting. No matter what, it will always waste some energy when converting the mechanical energy of the engine to electrical, storing it, and then converting it back to mechanical, because physics.

I'm a moron when it comes to the behavior of electrons. So, none of this may make any sense.
    Don't worry lol, I'm a moron when it comes to behavior of engines and mechanical stuff.

If it ever seems like I'm being rude at all, I'm sorry, I don't mean for it to come off that way.

They make air compressors and hydraulic pumps that are belt drive and have a clutch similar to an ac compressor clutch so you could control probably rig one up for an electric motor. It'd probably be easier, more effective and cheaper to buy a prius.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-02-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Actually, now that I think about it, it might be GREAT to have it keep pulling while changing gears. Lots of logic that would have to be worked out and controlled.

nyoom - I'm guessing there's a motor/alternator combo that either does exist or could be created. I'm not aware of one. But for simplicity and (somewhat) clear thinking of my mind, I'm going to keep the two separate in my fantasy. I do understand your concept and think it's good.

The electric golf cart I had, IIRC, had some kind of microswitch paired with the throttle pedal. It seems like it really only had about 3 different power positions. 0, Lo, Md, Hi. Something like that. And it had a controller that regulated amperage to the motor. This is not something I'd ever bother with on one of my cars. But I find it interesting to consider.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Actually, now that I think about it, it might be GREAT to have it keep pulling while changing gears. Lots of logic that would have to be worked out and controlled.
    Well, if it puts enough load on the engine the engine may lose RPMs too quickly when you pop in the clutch, making rev-matching harder without using the throttle, I think. But, if it's not enough to slow it down much quicker, it may actually be beneficial because as the engine slows down it'll charge the battery without using any fuel.
    I think if I end up going somewhere with this, I'll try it both ways.

nyoom - I'm guessing there's a motor/alternator combo that either does exist or could be created. I'm not aware of one. But for simplicity and (somewhat) clear thinking of my mind, I'm going to keep the two separate in my fantasy. I do understand your concept and think it's good.
    For simplicity's sake, yes. But I think if I get the right motor controller, I can use the motor as an alternator via regenerative braking. Though, this is all speculation as of now.

The electric golf cart I had, IIRC, had some kind of microswitch paired with the throttle pedal. It seems like it really only had about 3 different power positions. 0, Lo, Md, Hi. Something like that. And it had a controller that regulated amperage to the motor. This is not something I'd ever bother with on one of my cars. But I find it interesting to consider.
    A similar system was used for the Sebring-Vanguard CitiCar, probably the most hilarious vehicle ever to be sold

Quote Originally Posted by nyoom View Post

A similar system was used for the Sebring-Vanguard CitiCar, probably the most hilarious vehicle ever to be sold
    I'll take two

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-02-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just realized that using an alternator as a motor at 12v DC would likely reduce its power by quite a bit, unless I increase the voltage to 24v, 48v, or even 72v, which would require either a voltage boost or another high-voltage battery. Therefore, it may be impractical to use the alternator.

Though, if I did use a bank of batteries in the trunk, and had the alternator charge them during regen, and had the charge from those batteries power a voltage step-down to 15v to charge the accessory battery, it may work. Does anybody know if the alternator can output 24v, 48v, or even 72v through modifying it and its circuitry? If not, I may have to get an actual motor, which, uh, may not happen very soon...
    Name:  Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 11-46-36 12v 2 hp dc low voltage motor - Google Shopping.png
Views: 209
Size:  97.1 KB
    Name:  Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 11-37-13 Capital One.png
Views: 190
Size:  21.8 KB