Thread: New 2023 Mirage making very strange sounds - cvt whining?

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

New 2023 Mirage making very strange sounds - cvt whining?

Hey all,

Loving my new mirage - just got it a month ago, however the car seems to make a high pitched whining noise around 40km/h when its accelerating or decelerating - is this a normal noise for the jatco cvt? Worried that it's a problem.. I took it to a mitsubishi dealer and they just said "normal operating noise" but they only had it for like 20 minutes - does anyone else experience this noise? Fluids seem to be topped up I checked the dipstick and there was transmission fluid on it - it's the typical yellow color not black or anything.. Car only has 1400KM on it.

The car also rumbles quite heavily at low speeds - not sure if that's normal.. Main concern is the whining noise.

Any input appreciated! Does your Mirage make this noise during initial acceleration or consistently during deceleration around 40km/h?

VIDEO - https://youtu.be/8uHTRGmZvdU?si=cxnNMHPPPtVmJpGu

Thanks all

Last edited by denglejo; 09-13-2023 at 08:43 PM.

Try and record it if possible. I had one 2017 Mirage that started making a whining noise. I don't know when it started or how long it went on for because it was a company delivery car. I was made aware of the noise when a different driver drove the car one day.
    This particular car had around 40-60k kms on it at the time. It made a noticeably loud whining noise that was 100% inside the transmission. As the car shifted(at around 40kph-there is a 2 speed gearbox in these transmissions) you could hear the whine change speeds and get faster. I'm not sure if that makes sense or not. But if you notice it change speeds as the cvt shifts at that speed then I'd say you got a dud cvt. I had ours replaced under warranty with no questions asked.

It's hard to say though you could just be hearing normal tire noise? I'm sure mine makes all kinds of noises that I've gone deaf to by now.

As for the rumbling noise, these engines aren't well balanced and do shake around a lot at idle and sometimes at lower rpm. They're generally louder and less refined than a Corolla or any other more expensive car. But the 2023's I've driven are way nicer all around than the 14-15's.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Try and record it if possible. I had one 2017 Mirage that started making a whining noise. I don't know when it started or how long it went on for because it was a company delivery car. I was made aware of the noise when a different driver drove the car one day.
    This particular car had around 40-60k kms on it at the time. It made a noticeably loud whining noise that was 100% inside the transmission. As the car shifted(at around 40kph-there is a 2 speed gearbox in these transmissions) you could hear the whine change speeds and get faster. I'm not sure if that makes sense or not. But if you notice it change speeds as the cvt shifts at that speed then I'd say you got a dud cvt. I had ours replaced under warranty with no questions asked.

It's hard to say though you could just be hearing normal tire noise? I'm sure mine makes all kinds of noises that I've gone deaf to by now.

As for the rumbling noise, these engines aren't well balanced and do shake around a lot at idle and sometimes at lower rpm. They're generally louder and less refined than a Corolla or any other more expensive car. But the 2023's I've driven are way nicer all around than the 14-15's.
    Hey! Thanks for the quick reply.

https://youtube.com/shorts/NKklJv81B...H9ynGJgDh4bl7_

It’s kind of hard to hear over video as the phone mic picks up literally every bit of noise lol - but that high pitched whining/squealing that you hear a few seconds in is what I’m talking about.. let me know if that sounds similar to the car that had the transmission replaced!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Another thing I'll say is that I can make the car make the sound over and over by accelerating/decelerating around 20-40km/h.. it's much louder than it comes across in the video

I'll have to try listening somewhere quieter. I can't make it out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I could barely hear any high pitch noise from the video but I believe I know what you’re talking about.

Tell me. When you shift from D to Ds while cruising 40 km/hr (flat or incline/decline; don’t matter) does it make the same high pitch noise or whine and then become fainted when the speed drops to 0? If so, that sounds perfectly normal to me. I hear it a lot more often with the manual gearbox that I had than the current CVT. It the characteristic of the 3A92 if I’m not mistaken.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle99 View Post
    I could barely hear any high pitch noise from the video but I believe I know what you’re talking about.

Tell me. When you shift from D to Ds while cruising 40 km/hr (flat or incline/decline; don’t matter) does it make the same high pitch noise or whine and then become fainted when the speed drops to 0? If so, that sounds perfectly normal to me. I hear it a lot more often with the manual gearbox that I had than the current CVT. It the characteristic of the 3A92 if I’m not mistaken.
    So I tried what you suggested and shifter to sport and wow this car was not making these noises when I first tried sport a while back - apologies for the honk near the end (guy didn’t know how to turn into his own lane) but you can hear the sound really well as I slow down - I’ve never heard a mirage make these noises in the videos I’ve watched the thing was screaming and whining the whole time (keep in mind in this video the highest rpm’s I gave it was 3500-3700)

https://youtu.be/8uHTRGmZvdU?si=cxnNMHPPPtVmJpGu

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The new link I posted demonstrates the noises better - since you’re a mirage vet your input would be great! Taking it to the dealership to be looked at next Tuesday anyways but I’m assuming these aren’t normal noises?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by denglejo View Post
    So I tried what you suggested and shifter to sport and wow this car was not making these noises when I first tried sport a while back - apologies for the honk near the end (guy didn’t know how to turn into his own lane) but you can hear the sound really well as I slow down - I’ve never heard a mirage make these noises in the videos I’ve watched the thing was screaming and whining the whole time (keep in mind in this video the highest rpm’s I gave it was 3500-3700)

https://youtu.be/8uHTRGmZvdU?si=cxnNMHPPPtVmJpGu
    The whining noise from minute 1:39 to the end is normal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That kind of sounds like one of the heat shields on the exhaust system vibrating.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to daleWV For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-14-2023)