Thread: cvt fluid still looks nasty after a fluid service?

cvt connoisseur, of sorts OrganicFoxes's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question cvt fluid still looks nasty after a fluid service?

I recently did a full cvt service, new pan screen filter, gasket and fluid filter. Somewhere I messed up with my measurements and added almost over a quart more then I should, the fluid was twice what it should be on the dip stick but thats besides the point. When I was siphoning some out I noticed the fluid looks exactly the same as what I took out the day before when I changed the fluid. Shouldn't it at least be a little better? I am guessing it was mixed with whatever was being held it in the torque converter but I could be wrong. This is really making me wonder if I should flush it out......... I really did all the research and time to do a full service just to recirculate a good amount of old fluid. Still have around 3 quarts I could use to flush some of it but I'm debating if it's really worth it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

It wouldn't hurt. Maybe jack up the back of the car then pull the drain plug. Measure how much comes out. I usually get 2.5l/2.5ish qt. when the car is level and I can't remember how much extra with the back jacked up, another 1/2-close to a qt iirc.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

OrganicFoxes (09-16-2023),Top_Fuel (09-16-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It wouldn't hurt. Maybe jack up the back of the car then pull the drain plug. Measure how much comes out. I usually get 2.5l/2.5ish qt. when the car is level and I can't remember how much extra with the back jacked up, another 1/2-close to a qt iirc.
    I am just going to just siphon it out, should be fine, do not really feel like jacking the car up again and doing all that. I also decided I am going to drain a few quarts out for some new fluid every 10k miles on top of doing a full service every 20k , might be excessive but I really need this car to last and the fluid doesn't cost all to much at my local autozone.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    UhOh.... its a Mitsubishi, do not use aftermarket fluid, especially on a CVT. At the first sign of any weird transmission/shifting behavior, change that stuff back out... I know its expensive to do just after you just completed the job, but it WILL destroy the tranny.. exactly what you dont want. To be honest I wouldnt wait, i'd do it tomorrow.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyptr View Post
    UhOh.... its a Mitsubishi, do not use aftermarket fluid, especially on a CVT. At the first sign of any weird transmission/shifting behavior, change that stuff back out... I know its expensive to do just after you just completed the job, but it WILL destroy the tranny.. exactly what you dont want. To be honest I wouldnt wait, i'd do it tomorrow.
    You think? From what I have seen it looks to be fine, it's not like I'm using a "cheap brand" or something like that. Using the Valvoline branded cvt fluid, which supposedly is compatible with the mirage. Maybe fummins can chime in, he uses "whatever cheap universal cvt fluid that meets the J4 spec."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to OrganicFoxes For This Useful Post:

Basic (09-17-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,475 Posts
    I think people have been using this fluid...which says it meets the Mitsubishi specs...

Name:  CVT_ATF.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  93.5 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-17-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyptr View Post
    Don't give out bad information like that. Fummins has a whole fleet of these things doing courier work on Non-OEM fluid. I think you likely mean well, but it's a bit misguided.

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-18-2023)