Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Mirage CVT towing.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I can't remember, or find the way I made a thread the last time. So I will ask here.

I might be taking my 2024 Mirage hatchback from Riverside California, to Clearwater Florida. And it will be fine on the way. But on the way back I need to bring quite a lot of stuff, as we are selling the house in Florida.

What kind of roof racks do you recommend getting? I want a box similar to this.

Name:  image (7).png
Views: 278
Size:  73.8 KB

The plan is, drive to Florida without roof racks, order them, or buy them at the store, then put them on, and drive back across the country.

I also don't want ones that screw in if possible, as I want to take them off. Don't always need roof racks messing with the gas mileage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2024 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Ya, I was offered $10K for my 2017 which I paid $11k to get. My car only only has 50,000 miles in 6 years.
    You'd probably get more by crashing it. Insurance company just paid out $10k for a 2015 with over 300k km. I'm kinda hoping my car gets creamed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by lock dot 2 View Post
    I can't remember, or find the way I made a thread the last time. So I will ask here.

I might be taking my 2024 Mirage hatchback from Riverside California, to Clearwater Florida. And it will be fine on the way. But on the way back I need to bring quite a lot of stuff, as we are selling the house in Florida.

What kind of roof racks do you recommend getting? I want a box similar to this.

Name:  image (7).png
Views: 278
Size:  73.8 KB

The plan is, drive to Florida without roof racks, order them, or buy them at the store, then put them on, and drive back across the country.

I also don't want ones that screw in if possible, as I want to take them off. Don't always need roof racks messing with the gas mileage.
    I'm not sure if these ones are still available. https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ll=1#post75863
    It's available through the jungle site https://www.amazon.com/MZ314660-Carr.../dp/B00ZE38V4U

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

OrganicFoxes (10-03-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,503 Times in 1,095 Posts
    lock dot 2 - I think I'd consider towing and strapping stuff down on a small utility trailer before I would consider a roof rack. But that's just me personally. And perhaps I think that way because my heavy haul tow rig is already set up to tow. And mine's a 5-speed.

How to tow, with a CVT is a good question. I would suppose it would be all about what prevents as much heat buildup as is possible. I can't remember if a ScanGauge can "see" CVT trans fluid temps or not. But having the ability to WATCH the CVT temps and learning what driving practices build the most heat, and driving in a manner to avoid that as much as possible would be the way to go. I don't necessarily think that speed is the issue. Because at least with speed you have airflow cooling things off. I would imagine pulling hills, at slow speeds and high rpm might be worst possible thing. But the CVT owners "up in here" are the experts ... not me.

That's roughly 1,500 pounds below, as I recall. I didn't have any issues with it. But mpg was in the mid to high 20's as I recall. I have towed thousands and thousands of miles (not with the Mirage). I will say that if I were forced to make emergency maneuvers with the setup below at speeds of 55 mph and higher, the result would likely be "unfavorable." I've towed that same trailer empty, with the tailgate folded down (forward) onto the floor with the Mirage. My mpg was 34.5 mpg. I think that trailer is ~875 pounds, with ~ 85 pound tongue load (from memory).

Name:  Towing ATV.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  99.5 KB
    Last edited by 7milesout; 10-03-2023 at 01:33 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

OrganicFoxes (10-03-2023)

Trailers can be a pita over a cargo box. Parking, drive thru,gas station, hotel, driving across the country all your **** is exposed to weather and theives.
    Who needs a trailer
    All the pics I find of atv's on the roofs of cars also have a story about how the driver was pulled over and fined for unsafe load. The one in the pic above was held on with one strap going through the car and the driver had a suspended license. I've hauled sketchier looking stuff before but it wasn't going anywhere because I slapped the tailgate and said so before driving off.
    Last edited by Fummins; 10-03-2023 at 01:44 PM.

cvt connoisseur, of sorts OrganicFoxes's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    lock dot 2 - I think I'd consider towing and strapping stuff down on a small utility trailer before I would consider a roof rack. But that's just me personally. And perhaps I think that way because my heavy haul tow rig is already set up to tow. And mine's a 5-speed.

How to tow, with a CVT is a good question. I would suppose it would be all about what prevents as much heat buildup as is possible. I can't remember if a ScanGauge can "see" CVT trans fluid temps or not. But having the ability to WATCH the CVT temps and learning what driving practices build the most heat, and driving in a manner to avoid that as much as possible would be the way to go. I don't necessarily think that speed is the issue. Because at least with speed you have airflow cooling things off. I would imagine pulling hills, at slow speeds and high rpm might be worst possible thing. But the CVT owners "up in here" are the experts ... not me.

That's roughly 1,500 pounds below, as I recall. I didn't have any issues with it. But mpg was in the mid to high 20's as I recall. I have towed thousands and thousands of miles (not with the Mirage). I will say that if I were forced to make emergency maneuvers with the setup below at speeds of 55 mph and higher, the result would likely be "unfavorable." I've towed that same trailer empty, with the tailgate folded down (forward) onto the floor with the Mirage. My mpg was 34.5 mpg. I think that trailer is ~875 pounds, with ~ 85 pound tongue load (from memory).

Name:  Towing ATV.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  99.5 KB
    I'm one of the cvt owners that monitor temps, I have for about a month now and have taken a long road trip. I can say for a fact towing with the cvt long distance would NOT be a great idea unless you want an avg speed of 40 maybe 50mph. Most people have gotten up to 205F and haven't gone over with normal use but I got up to 210F before I noticed the temp and it would have prob kept going up if I didn't slow down. Was after a few hours at 80mph, 3k rpm with the ac on low, wasn't even hot outside, feel like it should handle that just fine but it didn't. Could prob install a cvt cooler like some nissan owners do, but then again that might be a little involved and not sure how hard it is to find parts or find instructions on how to do so. Maybe just follow a video tutorial for a Versa, I mean ik some Versas have the same tranny, my cvt filters and gasket are both OEM Nissan parts for a Versa.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,503 Times in 1,095 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OrganicFoxes View Post
    I'm one of the cvt owners that monitor temps...
    Via the ScanGauge?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Via the ScanGauge?
    I use this app called CVTz50 on the play store with a bluetooth obd2 adapter I found on amazon.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

I wonder if it works on the non-cool 5 speed cars?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I wonder if it works on the non-cool 5 speed cars?
    Prob not but the engine information might still work like coolant temp, gas milage and what not. Could always just ask the app devs or test it yourself, pretty inexpensive.