Thread: New Mirage Owner - NS Canada

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Smile New Mirage Owner - NS Canada

Howdy all,

Bought a 2023 5 spd manual mirage. Difficult to find 14 inch tires.. Wondering if better to upgrade wheels to 15s and get different winter tire sizes. Any comments appreciated

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NSCANMirage View Post
    Howdy all,

Bought a 2023 5 spd manual mirage. Difficult to find 14 inch tires.. Wondering if better to upgrade wheels to 15s and get different winter tire sizes. Any comments appreciated
    go to www.thetireman.ca They are located in Mt. Uniack
    I got mine for a really good price.
    Our winters here in NS are so mild now compared to what they used to be in the city.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    https://www.quattrotires.com/?gclid=...IaArvrEALw_wcB

Quattro tires out of Quebec were decent too, and incredibly cheap to ship

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.3 mpg (US) ... 18.8 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigMW For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-18-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,754 Times in 2,152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NSCANMirage View Post
    Howdy all,

That would be a step in the wrong direction in my opinion.

You will most likely find more 14" size snow tires than 15" size snow tires for a Mirage.

Added tire width kills winter traction for small light, FWD cars in my personal experience.

I don't know the Canadian tire market very well, but I will use a Canadian tire vendor (Quattro Tires) to make my point.

factory size tires
    165/65r14 = 7 snow tire choices offered
    175/55r15 = 5 snow tire choices (overall more expensive)

A common alternative to factory size tires (exact same outside diameter tires).
    175/65r14 (23" outside diameter) = 23 snow tires choices offered
    185/55r15 (23" outside diameter) = 18 snow tire choices (overall more expensive)

If snow tires are your goal, I see no reason to buy 15" rims. 15" rims will reduce your snow tire options & most likely make them more costly to purchase. I am speaking in general terms. I'm sure individual exceptions may exist.

I’ve got 175/70 14’s on mine, they work fine. We run 185/60 14’s on the fleet mirages. They’re considerably wider and there are more options in that size. I usually like narrower tires for slush but I haven’t had any complaints with the 185’s. They don’t dart around as much on the highway I find too, but maybe that’s just me?
    And X3 for Quattro. They shipped to Alberta for pretty cheap very time I ordered from them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Where in NS? I ask because I'm in parts at a Mitsubishi dealer in NS. We've got some 165 65 14 Imperial Snow Dragon tires and Kumho Solus HA31 all-weather (snow peak rated) right now. Some studdable Kumhos will be arriving in the coming weeks/months.

Quattro seems to have a good selection though.