Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rpm and weird sound when accelerating

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Try using the highest octane gas available, try a bottle of the redline injector cleaner, go for a long drive on the highway, change the oil.

Also double check the oil level is not too low or overfilled.

It could also be increasing the revs as the ac pumps engage, this may be especially happening on hot days or when not moving fast (less cold air), especially if the coolant is super old or of unknown age.

Could it be an obstructed fuel pump? If rust/debris/whatever else interrupts the fuel supply? More senior member would probably have a better idea. Like others have said hard to tell.

Sometimes my car "whistles" a bit, have not considered this an issue but it could be a normal sound?

Last edited by sunbeam; 01-16-2024 at 05:30 PM.

Whistling isn't normal for a car. Coolant has absolutely nothing to do the the air conditioner. Try wearing a blue suit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I will definitely try the injector cleaner, yeah it's super weird it never does it when I'm driving only when I am stationary at a red light and the AC is on, and it's definitely not the whistle because I know that's usually the belt which I have already changed and I use for synthetic oil change it on a very consistent basis. I also have three other Mitsubishi Mirage, and none of them do it I run a car rental service

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm not sure I know how to post a YouTube video but I will figure it out but when I'm stationary at a red light in the AC is on my RPMs will fluctuate from a normal 750 to a 500 and go up and down

I usually have to re-tighten belts after replacement. They're quiet at first then stretch a hair and sometimes squeak a few days later. At least I find that with the Gates brand belts. It's relatively normal for the rpm to change when the ac kicks in. I don't know that 500-750 is normal cause I never pay attention.
    If it squeaks when the rpm drop then have your belt tightened up, or do it yourself with a 12mm anything.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have no problem with my belts at all , my problem is my rpm ,car feels like it's about to turn off then goes back up to 700 and back down to 500 until I turn off the AC

My bad, reading is hard. I was going back and reading the first post thinking it was you...
    There were a few people that had their ac compressors or the clutch for the compressor fail. It was more common in the southern states where you'd have nicer weather irc. The compressors do lug the engine down a lot though. If I have to pull out into traffic I just shut the ac off cause it sometimes turns the car into super slug mode.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yea I was thinking maybe the AC comp , and yea I'm in Los Angeles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,857 Times in 2,154 Posts
    Fouled throttle body?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Maybe the weird noise while accelerating is the front tires losing traction and sliding across the pavement due to all the torque?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)