Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first ever new car

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cool My first ever new car

One month ago I bought my first ever new car: a 2023 Mirage ES.

I've always bought old beater sedans on craigslist, and my most recent one had lasted ~5 years. I'd ever even heard of mitsubishi before, but as my old car neared its end I researched the current car market. I never thought I would buy a new car, and I figured that I would get a less-old car than usual. But I learned that the car market post-2020 was much different than before. The typical advice of "get a few years old toyota" now costs nearly as much as new.

I was set on a hatchback, and I wanted a blue one. I narrowed down to corollas, mazdas, kia rio, and also the humble mirage. The Rio and Mirage could still be found <20k, while the toyotas and mazdas were nearly 10k more expensive. Even though the newer Kias have immobilizers, kids will still break the windows and try to steal because it says Kia. So I figured I should give the newest Mirage a chance before considering the next price tier of cars or going back to the used market.

When I test drove it around town and on the highway, I loved it. Here is a car with android auto, climate control, backup camera, safety features, and excellent milage and reliability all within my budget. A few days later after thinking it over, I called the dealership and made an offer. That evening I left the lot in my new mirage.

After a month I'm very happy. I'm excited to take good car of this car and make it last. That story from Minnesota of the 400k-mile mirage is inspiring.
    Name:  PXL_20230916_153425811.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  97.2 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ajb746 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

7milesout (09-25-2023),BigMW (09-24-2023),daleWV (09-24-2023),Dookaughs (10-01-2023),foama (01-10-2024),Fummins (09-24-2023),inuvik (09-24-2023),Mark (09-24-2023),mitsumi (09-25-2023),mohammad (01-10-2024),Top_Fuel (09-25-2023),twister77 (09-25-2023),vintzend (03-05-2024),Wil B (09-25-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Sounds like you did some serious car shopping. The blue colored Mirage is quite popular with some of our forum members. Thus, you have already won them over for sure!

The Mirage ES is nicely equipped for an entry trim level, & I have the impression the 2023 & 2024 Mirage are exactly the same. So there's nothing to be gained by holding out for a 2024, except probably a higher price tag.

A Mirage is affordable, reliable, & very economical to drive. It's a winning combination!

Welcome to the forum!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ajb746 View Post

I've always bought old beater sedans on craigslist, and my most recent one had lasted ~5 years. I'd ever even heard of mitsubishi before, but as my old car neared its end I researched the current car market. I never thought I would buy a new car, and I figured that I would get a less-old car than usual. But I learned that the car market post-2020 was much different than before. The typical advice of "get a few years old toyota" now costs nearly as much as new.

I was set on a hatchback, and I wanted a blue one. I narrowed down to corollas, mazdas, kia rio, and also the humble mirage. The Rio and Mirage could still be found <20k, while the toyotas and mazdas were nearly 10k more expensive. Even though the newer Kias have immobilizers, kids will still break the windows and try to steal because it says Kia. So I figured I should give the newest Mirage a chance before considering the next price tier of cars or going back to the used market.

When I test drove it around town and on the highway, I loved it. Here is a car with android auto, climate control, backup camera, safety features, and excellent milage and reliability all within my budget. A few days later after thinking it over, I called the dealership and made an offer. That evening I left the lot in my new mirage.

After a month I'm very happy. I'm excited to take good car of this car and make it last. That story from Minnesota of the 400k-mile mirage is inspiring.
    Hello ajb746 and welcome to the forum. Have a look around and check out some threads. We have a maintenance mechanic on the forum who is located in Canada and is maintaining a fleet of Mirages used for delivery. He (Fummins) shares his experiences on these vehicles, what works, what breaks, how to make them last.

I had a blue 2015 that was lost to an accident. It was a good little car. I still have a bunch of parts and accessories for it that I need to move along...

Let us know if you have any particular questions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ajb746 View Post

Welcome ! (side eyes blue Mirage with drool dripping from maw) Beautiful car you're got there! (swears and mutters under breath) you were lucky to find a blue one (checks lock picking kit) where did you say you lived again???
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Best of luck with your new Mirage.
    I only have 140,000 miles on my 2018! It's the blue one also.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Another awesome blue one! Even if it only has 2 pedals...

ajb746 - Hope you contribute in here often. Good luck with your blue one. I hope, "the kids" don't think it's a Kia and (attempt to) steal it. Being a blue one, they're a lot more of an attractive target than the other colors. Especially cause it's blue.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the welcome everyone. I'm checking out more of the posts on this forum to learn more about my car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Treasurevu View Post
    Congratulations on your first-ever new car, the 2023 Mirage ES! It's quite a leap from buying old beaters, and it sounds like you made a well-researched decision. The car market can be tricky to navigate, especially post-2020, and it's fantastic that you found a hatchback that suits your needs and budget.
    Having features like Android Auto, climate control, a backup camera, and safety features all within your budget is a win-win. Plus, the excellent mileage and reliability are great bonuses.
    If you ever need to move or transport your new Mirage, you might want to check out. They offer information about cheap moving companies that could come in handy for various logistics needs.
    You sure put in a lot of effort just to post spam.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    ajb - Reread your post. I'd like to hear more from you about your, sort of day-to-day perspective with your car. Your perspective (meaning, being your first NEW car) is VERY interesting to me. I too haven't had but just a couple new cars. And my perspective is so different. I have one of the most loaded out Lexus LS 460L (flagship luxury sedan from Lexus) that exists. I have no car payment on, never did. Same for the Mirage.

If I were to choose one of the 2 for my permanent daily driver, out the stable the Lexus would go! I'd keep the Mirage! I completely fell in love with the Mirage from watching (what's that idiot's name?) youtube video, where he craps on the Mirage from the beginning to the end. I've fallen more in love with the Mirage in the 38k miles I've driven it.

Yet I hang on to the Lexus. All my cars have very basic liability only insurance. And I figure if the Blueberry gets crashed, I'll just drive the Lexus. Probably the main reasons I have ever owned new cars prior to the Mirage, was that I worked for Toyota (and Hyundia-Kia) in design. So I was able to pick up new and used Toyotas for quite a substantial discount. I never bought a Hyundai-Kia. I worked at Toyota first. Then I changed to Hyundai-Kia, all for location, just to (try to) make The War Department more peaceful. Working for Hyundai-Kia was a real eye opener, after seeing just how professional Toyota tries to be (at least on the Japanese side of business), from top to bottom. The Koreans, while great wonderful respectful loving people that I adore personally, are horrible, game-playing, lying, idiot engineers (compared to Toyota Japanese engineers). I regretted leaving Toyota. However, I am back much closer to my original home area, and I'm very happy about that.

As for the Mirage, it truly is a helluva vehicle. I hope it does not get dropped.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-10-2024)

7miles: I've also never had a new car... probably won't, unless I win the lottery!

Fanciest car I've owned was no Lexus: 2006 Civic, about a decade ago. 2nd fanciest was probably my 2nd Mirage (the loaded one).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)