Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are safe CVT temperatures?

cvt connoisseur, of sorts OrganicFoxes's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Exclamation What are safe CVT temperatures?

Currently monitoring my cvt temperatures on a road trip for the first time. My temps seem to stay around 194F to 203F but i have seen up to 205F. When checking the dipstick, Mitsubishi says the "operating temperature is 122F to 176F, should I be concerned?

Edit:

SOLVED

Safe cvt temps are between 120F to 194F (49C to 90C in non freedom land units)

Hot cvt temps are 200F to 210F (90C to 99C)

Concerning cvt temps are 220+

What can you do if your cvt is above safe temps?
    Lower your speed to the speed limit or below and keep the engine speed below 3k rpm.

What can you do if your cvt temps are in the "concerning range"
    Drop the Altima energy, turn the aircon off and turn the heat on high with the fan speed to max. Drop your speed to 60mph (97kph) and keep the engine speed below 3k rpm. If the temp is above 230F (110C) I recommend pulling over in a safe place off of a freeway and waiting for the temp to drop.

Will you damage your cvt from high temps?
    Short answer is yes. The effects from high temps could be a slow painful process (if you are lucky) or a part just giving out entirely.

What can you do if your cvt is consistently at 194F (90C) or above?
    CVT fluid starts to break down at 194F and replacing it sooner will help with the lifespan of your cvt.

When should I service my cvt?
    Service intervals for cvts varies depending on environment and driving style and should be chosen accordingly.

If you fall under any of these categories I would recommend changing fluid between 15k to 20k miles (24000km to 32000km) Hot climate, mountainous, speeds above 70mph for more then an hour at a time, heavy loads, towing, fast acceleration, offroading, constant stop and go traffic, or if you just monitor your temps and it is regularly above 190F (88C)
    If these do not apply to you, service the cvt fluid every 30k miles (48000km)

Can you do longer service intervals?
    Yes but the same principles that apply to your engine oil also apply to your cvt(sort of). Your dealer might recommend 10k mile oil changes and an oil bottle might say "good up to 20k miles" but lets be real you should not be doing that. Same thing goes for cvts, yes you CAN do 40k+ mile services, but should you? Up for you to decide.

How should I service my cvt? (My personal recommendation for a long lasting cvt, applies to the majority of cvts)
    CVTs have 2 filters that should be replaced and magnets that should be cleaned every service. Yes you have to take off the transmission pan to be able to access one of the filters (the screen filter, meant for bigger metal particles) and to clean the magnets. Not just to clean the magnets and replace the screen filter, but to also drain more fluid out. (a good amount stays in there since the bolt is not fully at the bottom of the pan, and the metal "sludge" will be held there too)
    These full services are EXPENSIVE and overpriced when done by a dealer or mechanic. Considering you are looking up safe cvt temps you are probably the type of person to get your hands dirty to do it yourself, which in that case it is pretty cheap and easy to do. (after you find the dang filters online for it)

Hopefully this helps someone because it is SO HARD to find info and advice for cvts especially with how much miss information and lack of info there is about them.

Last edited by OrganicFoxes; 05-16-2024 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Sharing what I have learned

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,485 Posts
    My temps seem to stay around 194F to 203F...
    There aren't a lot of Mirage CVT owners who monitor their fluid temps, so the forum discussions on this topic have been limited. I have read on other (Nissan/Honda) forums that you can expect CVT fluid to run roughly the same as the car's coolant temp. For summer driving that number may be slightly higher. You are close to that. Under what driving conditions are you seeing those temps?

Looking at your phone image...

Name:  cvt_2.jpg
Views: 2032
Size:  76.1 KB

Is that app ^^^ saying your CVT is running hot?

FYI... Nissan TSB NTB13-095c describes potential high-temperature CVT fluid situations as follows:

1. High RPM and/or high speed driving (4000+ RPMs, and/or 65 MPH or more for 1.0 – 1.5 hours)
    2. Driving in ambient temperatures of 96 degrees or higher
    3. Climbing steep or extended hills for 6 miles or more

Highway driving is what heats up CVT fluid because it represents an extended condition of continuous high engine torque operating the CVT drive belt. That’s why most Nissan/Subaru/etc. owners experience CVT “limp mode” on the highway. CVT “Limp mode” is when the car’s computer detects high CVT fluid temperatures and significantly reduces engine power until the CVT fluid has cooled to an acceptable level.

What has always concerned me about the Mirage is the high temperature the CVT fluid must reach before the warning light comes on. If the "normal" operating temp is 176F, the warning light doesn't come on until 100+ degrees higher than that.

Name:  cvt_temps.jpg
Views: 2063
Size:  81.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (02-15-2024),mohammad (09-24-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OrganicFoxes View Post
    Currently monitoring my cvt temperatures on a road trip for the first time. My temps seem to stay around 194F to 203F but i have seen up to 205F. When checking the dipstick, Mitsubishi says the "operating temperature is 122F to 176F, should I be concerned? Not sure how to add pictures from my phone so hopefully the discord file links work.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...7/IMG_3780.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...1/IMG_3781.jpg
    I really want to know what app you are using and what bluetooth adapter do you have?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I really want to know what app you are using and what bluetooth adapter do you have?
    CVTz50 as shown in the top left corner of his photos is the name of the app.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

OrganicFoxes (09-25-2023),Top_Fuel (09-24-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    There aren't a lot of Mirage CVT owners who monitor their fluid temps, so the forum discussions on this topic have been limited. I have read on other (Nissan/Honda) forums that you can expect CVT fluid to run roughly the same as the car's coolant temp. For summer driving that number may be slightly higher. You are close to that. Under what driving conditions are you seeing those temps?

FYI... Nissan TSB NTB13-095c describes potential high-temperature CVT fluid situations as follows:

1. High RPM and/or high speed driving (4000+ RPMs, and/or 65 MPH or more for 1.0 – 1.5 hours)

Highway driving is what heats up CVT fluid because it represents an extended condition of continuous high engine torque operating the CVT drive belt. That’s why most Nissan/Subaru/etc. owners experience CVT “limp mode” on the highway. CVT “Limp mode” is when the car’s computer detects high CVT fluid temperatures and significantly reduces engine power until the CVT fluid has cooled to an acceptable level.

What has always concerned me about the Mirage is the high temperature the CVT fluid must reach before the warning light comes on. If the "normal" operating temp is 176F, the warning light doesn't come on until 100+ degrees higher than that.

My Scangauge Eco has that temp gauge and it tells me my G4 CVT gets up to 204F degree. I haven’t seen going higher than that in my usual hilly commute. Im not concerned.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.2 mpg (US) ... 18.4 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to defensivetackle99 For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-24-2023),OrganicFoxes (09-25-2023),Top_Fuel (09-25-2023)

cvt connoisseur, of sorts OrganicFoxes's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Here's a link to the application, it's on android only and from what i've seen with my devices it only works on 16:9 displays i'm pretty sure.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gnid=web_share

Here is the gizmo gadget

Veepeak Mini Bluetooth OBD II Scanner for Android ONLY, Auto Check Engine Light Code Reader Car Diagnostic Scan Tool https://a.co/d/brb7Q8D

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to OrganicFoxes For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-25-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,485 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle99 View Post
    My Scangauge Eco has that temp gauge...
    I didn't know any ScanGauges could read CVT temperature in a Mirage. Did you have to set up a special x-gauge code to get that to function, or did it work right out of the box? ScanGauge doesn't even show the Mirage on their x-gauge support page.

We need someone to put a CVT temp gauge in a Mirage...then drive up through the Eisenhower tunnel at 70mph in the middle of the summer with the AC on. I think it's a 7% grade for 7 miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-25-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,502 Times in 1,094 Posts
    I wonder if there is an MTz50 app for us 5 speed drivers?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post

Most useful post of this thread IMHO. Thank you!

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Have you guys had anything higher than 104c?
    Name:  Screenshot_20240220_144347_CVTz50.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  36.1 KB

• MY14 Mitsubishi Mirage - ES 1.2L CVT
    • MY13 Mitsubishi Outlander - ES 2.0L CVT
    • MY06 Mitsubishi Colt - LS CVT (written-off due to non-fault accident)
    • MY06 Mitsubishi Magna - Executive CVT (sold due to chugging fuel)

• Veepeak OBD BLE - CVTz50 (+other Android Apps)
    • Mini VCI / Microsoft Surface Pro 3 - Windows 10 Pro x64