Thread: FAST Key Programming

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

FAST Key Programming

I typically add a third key for any car I own. For most cars, if you have the two original keys you can program a third key yourself. That way, if you lose/damage a key you can buy a new key online and program it to get back to three keys. The mirage has instructions in the manual on how to program an additional key, FAST or regular FOB key. My question is, are we forced to purchase the OEM key (typically $230-$290), which is very expensive, or can a used or aftermarket key be used? Like to save a few bucks on adding a key if I can. I also own a Mazda van. An extra blank key for that vehicle costs about $24 online and I’ve purchased and programmed those successfully myself in the past.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,127 Posts
    Ohhh, the dark world of FAST key programming. Here are a couple of previous threads that deal with this issue.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...spare-FAST-key

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...015-Mirage-003

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-27-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,736 Times in 2,139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbur View Post
    I typically add a third key for any car I own. For most cars, if you have the two original keys you can program a third key yourself. That way, if you lose/damage a key you can buy a new key online and program it to get back to three keys. The mirage has instructions in the manual on how to program an additional key, FAST or regular FOB key. My question is, are we forced to purchase the OEM key (typically $230-$290), which is very expensive, or can a used or aftermarket key be used? Like to save a few bucks on adding a key if I can. I also own a Mazda van. An extra blank key for that vehicle costs about $24 online and I’ve purchased and programmed those successfully myself in the past.
    I can vouch that an aftermarket chipped key will work for a Mirage with a key ignition. I posted the message below back in July of 2020. You buy a key for under $10 with free shipping. It may cost a few bucks to have a hardware store cut it for you.

Ironically, two-years later I can answer my own question with a "yes".

The blank key with chip cost $11.55 with tax (free shipping). My local ACE Hardware charges $2.29 to cut a double-sided key ($2.42 with tax). An extra chip coded key for $13.97 is not bad. If I lose one now, I will have two keys to make a new replacement.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28528267883...Bk9SR4asgoHbYg

No tools were necessary to code a third key for my 2017 Mirage.

1. Turn your ignition on with the first key (for about 5 seconds), & then turn off and remove.

2. After removing the 1st key, turn on the ignition with your 2nd key. In less than 10 seconds, the immobilizer indicator (multi-information display) will start to blink. Now turn off & remove your 2nd key.

3. You have 30 seconds to insert your new blank key. Turn on the ignition with the new blank key, & it will be automatically programmed to the car. It took less than 5 seconds to program itself, & the new third key starts the car without issue!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I can vouch that an aftermarket chipped key will work for a Mirage with a key ignition. I posted the message below back in July of 2020. You buy a key for under $10 with free shipping. It may cost a few bucks to have a hardware store cut it for you.

Ironically, two-years later I can answer my own question with a "yes".

The blank key with chip cost $11.55 with tax (free shipping). My local ACE Hardware charges $2.29 to cut a double-sided key ($2.42 with tax). An extra chip coded key for $13.97 is not bad. If I lose one now, I will have two keys to make a new replacement.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28528267883...Bk9SR4asgoHbYg

No tools were necessary to code a third key for my 2017 Mirage.

1. Turn your ignition on with the first key (for about 5 seconds), & then turn off and remove.

2. After removing the 1st key, turn on the ignition with your 2nd key. In less than 10 seconds, the immobilizer indicator (multi-information display) will start to blink. Now turn off & remove your 2nd key.

3. You have 30 seconds to insert your new blank key. Turn on the ignition with the new blank key, & it will be automatically programmed to the car. It took less than 5 seconds to program itself, & the new third key starts the car without issue!
    This is true for non-FAST Mirage's with a regular ignition key. Mirage's with a FAST key setup is a different story.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Ohhh, the dark world of FAST key programming. Here are a couple of previous threads that deal with this issue.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...spare-FAST-key

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...015-Mirage-003
    Thanks for the previous posts. They basically summarize the programming procedure and not to buy a non OEM FAST key.

I’m guess I’m asking if anyone out there knows how the key is programmed?

What I think is true….

… the internal ID47 chip needs to be new and not previously programmed to another vehicle
    … if the chip is blank it must be set up initially for the Mirage vehicle, versus another vehicle that could use the same chip
    … if the aftermarket remote has the same circuitry and ID47 chip, it should user programmable to the car

Does anyone know, with certainty, that the above is true?

Has anyone tried to self program an aftermarket remote?

Last question….

Does anyone know where the ID47 chip is in the FAST remote? If it’s like other remote chips it is floating somewhere in the remote and is not electrically connected in the circuitry. It uses an external electrical source to power it up and communicate.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Factory Service Manual

Here's the all you can eat buffet on the FAST key system.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-28-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbur View Post
    ...and not to buy a non OEM FAST key.
    If you buy a FAST key and program it successfully yourself, be sure to report back where you got the key. I've been delaying this task for about 5 years. Maybe this is a good time for me to get a third key.

I've done this with other vehicles...but not my Mirage. I always bought used OEM key fobs...because if something goes wrong and you have to head to the dealer to get it programmed, the dealer will blame any issues on your POS aftermarket fob.

Most reputable sellers on eBay say the same things when selling fobs:

1. Make sure the FCC ID matches the ID on the FAST key you are buying
    2. Make sure the OEM part numbers match
    3. If it needs to be an "unprogrammed" key, be sure that's what the seller is giving you

We've had related discussions on this topic before. If you buy a used FAST key that's currently programmed to another car already, I don't think it can be programmed as a third key on your Mirage. So be sure to look for a seller that says something like "THIS KEY IS UNLOCKED AND READY TO PROGRAM."

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-28-2023)