Thread: First warranty issue.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

First warranty issue.

I have just encountered my first warranty issue with my 2019 ES. I have found that there is an oil leak which seems to be coming from the base of the dipstick tube where it enters the sump. i was windering why I had oil wicking up the side of the tube, and when I put my finger at the base of the tube it was wet with oil. I was wondering if anyone else on the forum has encountered this, and how difficult is it to fix? It seems weird that this is happening as the car only has 36,000 miles on it. Any feedback would be appreciated. When I looked under the car, the oil pan adn deain plug appear to be dry.

That's a first. Did you have the oil changed by someone other than yourself recently by chance? I haven't seen a dipstick tube leak on these cars yet. I have seen the back edge of the timing cover sweat near the top rear on a bunch of engines but never enough to actually drip or run down the block. Will post pics later, I have a couple of engines on the floor.

Can you post pics?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    That's a first. Did you have the oil changed by someone other than yourself recently by chance? I haven't seen a dipstick tube leak on these cars yet. I have seen the back edge of the timing cover sweat near the top rear on a bunch of engines but never enough to actually drip or run down the block. Will post pics later, I have a couple of engines on the floor.

Can you post pics?
    I always have a garage change the oil, as I live in a strata where doing oil changes is against bylaws. I can't post pictures as I don't own a cell phone. It is possible that it is the Timing Cover, and the oil has simply wicked up to around the dipstick tube. The shop where I had the oil changed didn,t overfill it so no worry there. I checked the level right after the oil change was done.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to spiritorb For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-03-2023)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 705 Posts
    A second thought. It might just have been spilled during the oil change, and not been wiped off properly. You could wipe all including surroundings dry and check sometime later.

The dipstick-tube is held by one bolt by the top end, and is simply stuck into the block with an o-ring as the seal. The o-ring is placed on the lower end of the tube in a recessed groove. The o-ring and tube enters by its hole in the block. I've never seen it leak here.
    If it does seem to leak, I would first check that the tube were fastened, and it were sitting in the proper position in the block. If that doesnt help, just replace the o-ring.

Here’s what the dipstick tube should look like. Does block mean timing cover in German?
    Attachment 25977Attachment 25978

And here’s where I see oil but it never seems to get worse than this.
    Attachment 25979
    Attachment 25980

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-03-2023)