Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine shakes and nearly stalls

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,583 Times in 1,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nimas1377 View Post
    The rpm goes to about 500-550 or maybe lower I didn’t look to close I just saw it drops.

I notice it the most while in drive or reverse cause when you put the car in N the rpm clime a bit

The sound isn’t really bad it is exactly like when you drive a manual and you for example start in 3rd gear and engine can’t hold on and rpm drops and engine shakes so I’m not really worried about the sound.

I will record it next time and upload it to google drive for you to hear and see it

The car is at 31K km and I’m planning to change the cvt oil and filters at around 36-37K with my next oil change and the fluid is green with a bit of metal dirt in it and not fully black yet ( I don’t think there is anything wrong with the fluid - it seems pretty clean )
    If the quality of fuel is very low then it might be a good idea to add some injector cleaner to your next tank. I'm not sure what is available in your country but members have used Chevron Techron injector cleaner with good results or Seafoam.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-13-2023)

Country
    Iran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    If the quality of fuel is very low then it might be a good idea to add some injector cleaner to your next tank. I'm not sure what is available in your country but members have used Chevron Techron injector cleaner with good results or Seafoam.
    Yeah it is also a great idea but I don’t think it is really necessary we have a 2012 toyota camry and it has 180K km with the same fuel and it only needed that once in mid 150K km but for precaution not any symptoms

Country
    Iran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It's hard to say...It seems like there are always different parts that wear out in different parts of the world.
    How it was used plays a big part too.
    One strange thing also on some starts it works flawlessly and some starts it’s shaking a lot even in traffic, this is one of the reasons I think it’s computer related

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Yeah I will show it to a different mechanic, do you think with only 31K it is really the throttle body?

The rpm goes to about 500-550 or maybe lower I didn’t look to close I just saw it drops.

I notice it the most while in drive or reverse cause when you put the car in N the rpm clime a bit

The sound isn’t really bad it is exactly like when you drive a manual and you for example start in 3rd gear and engine can’t hold on and rpm drops and engine shakes so I’m not really worried about the sound.
    nimas - I'm certainly not saying I'm correct about the throttle body. And no, to your question. I wouldn't think the throttle body would be all that nasty at 31k miles. But who's to say?

And yet, the symptoms you describe are all VERY similar to what my Camry was doing. The Camry drove like a dream once it was going. And the only issue it had was, when in gear at idle, the rpm would drop too low and the engine would vibrate and vibrate the car. And, a tiny touch of the throttle it didn't seem to respond to. A larger push and the car would jolt forward and drive fine. I figure the tiny touch just wasn't letting enough air past the crap buildup. Then with enough butterfly opening, it would get a good amount of air and takeoff. After cleaning, all that went away, and even a tiny input of throttle it would gently roll away from a stop ... like a new car. It was quite an improvement.

That Camry had about 125k miles on it when I did that cleaning. And a Camry 2.4L can burn some oil. Mine did. It would make a puff of blue smoke upon cranking if it hadn't ran a day or so. I suspect the rings might have had some blowby too, and the PCV was drawing oily gasses off the top of the engine and back into the intake. I think pre-throttle body. That oily blowby likely contributed to the crap buildup in the throttle body. Or it could have just been typical for 125k miles.

Anywho - I'm not saying, "IT IS THE THROTTLE BODY." I'm saying, what you described was VERY similar to what my Camry did, and it WAS the throttle body.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

nimas1377 (10-14-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,106 Posts
    And ... you orta get an OBD-II BT thingamabob. Connect to your OBD and see if there are any codes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Iran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    nimas - I'm certainly not saying I'm correct about the throttle body. And no, to your question. I wouldn't think the throttle body would be all that nasty at 31k miles. But who's to say?

And yet, the symptoms you describe are all VERY similar to what my Camry was doing. The Camry drove like a dream once it was going. And the only issue it had was, when in gear at idle, the rpm would drop too low and the engine would vibrate and vibrate the car. And, a tiny touch of the throttle it didn't seem to respond to. A larger push and the car would jolt forward and drive fine. I figure the tiny touch just wasn't letting enough air past the crap buildup. Then with enough butterfly opening, it would get a good amount of air and takeoff. After cleaning, all that went away, and even a tiny input of throttle it would gently roll away from a stop ... like a new car. It was quite an improvement.

That Camry had about 125k miles on it when I did that cleaning. And a Camry 2.4L can burn some oil. Mine did. It would make a puff of blue smoke upon cranking if it hadn't ran a day or so. I suspect the rings might have had some blowby too, and the PCV was drawing oily gasses off the top of the engine and back into the intake. I think pre-throttle body. That oily blowby likely contributed to the crap buildup in the throttle body. Or it could have just been typical for 125k miles.

Anywho - I'm not saying, "IT IS THE THROTTLE BODY." I'm saying, what you described was VERY similar to what my Camry did, and it WAS the throttle body.
    yeah you are right the cheapest and easiest thing that comes to mind is the throttle body and I can get it fix pretty quick

I will see if that fixes it and if not I will use an OBD-II to see what code does it have

I will update this soon

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nimas1377 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-13-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,858 Times in 2,155 Posts
    One strange thing also on some starts it works flawlessly and some starts it’s shaking a lot even in traffic, this is one of the reasons I think it’s computer related
    This sounds like flooding as in excessive fuel. Does this rough idle condition happen when the engine is started cold or after it has been running & is warmed up?

yeah you are right the cheapest and easiest thing that comes to mind is the throttle body and I can get it fix pretty quick
    The cheapest and easiest is to try fuel system cleaner first rather than take your car apart. Make sure you are using a cleaner, not an octane booster as they have two different functions.

Cheap, dirty fuel clogs & restricts fuel delivery. Don't buy cheap fuel & stick to good quality brands. If a good quality fuel system cleaner does not help this problem, then disassemble & clean the throttle body manually, by hand. Spraying stuff into the throttle body does not clean all the gunk, as has been shared.

I will see if that fixes it and if not I will use an OBD-II to see what code does it have
    A word of caution - some cheap OBD-II adapters cause problems with ECU operation, and can make matters worse. If you are only going to do this once, borrow a decent code reader rather than buy one. At least then you'll know what a decent code reader/scanner can do.

I will update this soon
    Looking forward to your update.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

nimas1377 (10-14-2023)

Country
    Iran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    This sounds like flooding as in excessive fuel. Does this rough idle condition happen when the engine is started cold or after it has been running & is warmed up?

The cheapest and easiest is to try fuel system cleaner first rather than take your car apart. Make sure you are using a cleaner, not an octane booster as they have two different functions.

Cheap, dirty fuel clogs & restricts fuel delivery. Don't buy cheap fuel & stick to good quality brands. If a good quality fuel system cleaner does not help this problem, then disassemble & clean the throttle body manually, by hand. Spraying stuff into the throttle body does not clean all the gunk, as has been shared.

A word of caution - some cheap OBD-II adapters cause problems with ECU operation, and can make matters worse. If you are only going to do this once, borrow a decent code reader rather than buy one. At least then you'll know what a decent code reader/scanner can do.

Looking forward to your update.
    So today I went to a mechanic and asked him to clean the throttle body and he just sprayed while the engine was running and said that it is done, I asked to clean with a hand but he said there is no need

so I went and bought a carb-injector cleaner and did it myself and guess what the bottom part of the throttle body was clean (as it was cleaned with spray hours ago) but the top of it was dirty and clogged so I cleaned it and tested the car and it seemed better (I have to drive for a while to be 100% sure)

If it still has the problem I will use a fuel system cleaner and the last hope is when I go to the dealer to change the CVT oil and filters I will ask them to check the car with an OBD-II device

anyway thank you all for the time, I will update how it went next week to be 100% sure
    It is a pleasure being a part of this community!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nimas1377 For This Useful Post:

BigMW (10-14-2023),inuvik (10-14-2023)

Country
    Iran
    Thanks
    So a quick update I was reversing today while turning the wheel and it did it again tbh not as bad as before but still shaking the car. I’m going to try a fuel system cleaner now and will update soon

Country
    Iran
    Thanks
    So a quick update I was reversing today while turning the wheel and it did it again tbh not as bad as before but still shaking the car. I’m going to try a fuel system cleaner now and will update soon
    So I used a ravenol petrol performance optimizer so I just have to use the car and see how it performs
    But so far the car seems smoother at idle I intentionally turn ac off and try to make it go low on rpm but it seems pretty controller but now I will not update for at least a week or two and report with certainty how it went

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nimas1377 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-16-2023),inuvik (10-16-2023)