Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which tire is best?

I prefer Michelins but they're expensive and I cheap. I have never heard of MOMO tires, I only remember the name from steering wheels and magazine ads from the early 90's. I usually go for the cheapest but this time I went second or third cheapest. In the end after charging inlaws full price for their tires and taking the 10% discount and applying it to my share(they're still getting a great deal compared to any local tire shop), these will cost me under $200.

Strangely enough we often have use for winter tires by now. I installed winter tires on the entire fleet last month. We had one small pile of snow then it melted. The ground is still bare here halfway through November. I figure if I buy a new snow blower we're guaranteed to have no snow this season!

Last edited by Fummins; 11-13-2023 at 01:58 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-13-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,759 Times in 2,156 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I prefer Michelins but they're expensive and I cheap. I have never heard of MOMO tires, I only remember the name from steering wheels and magazine ads from the early 90's.
    Overall, Michelin is probably the best world wide tire company. Michelin owns more affordable BFGoodrich & Uniroyal tires, too.

Since buying my 2017 Mirage, Nokian Nordman 7 (studded & non-studded) were the easiest 165/65r14 snow tires to find in the States. My pair were made in Russia, & I noticed they are not easy to find any more. The war must be impacting this?

My Nokian tires will be doing their 7th winter soon!

I haven't really heard of or noticed MOMO tires before. It's always good to hear about tire options.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Since this thread is about which tire is best, let's talk about which tire is best in Georgia / southeast U.S.

Other regions are not important. I jest of course.

Actually a "which tire is best" for each condition below would be very interesting:
    • Inclement weather areas ... Fummins region.
    • Some inclement weather regions ... Mark's region maybe.
    • No inclement weather region ... mine and Dirk's (current) region.

Mark - I'm really interested in YOUR 1 BEST tire choice per bullet point above. Thanks!
    That is the reason I wanted a tire with the severe snow rating.
    We mostly get a handful of 1" snows and maybe 1 or 2 snows you could possibly get stuck in per year.
    I put dedicated snow tires on my work beater(1990 Plymouth Horizon) so I won't have issues making it to the job. However, there are times where we might be out in snow in the Mirage; just not frequently enough to warrant another set of snow tires for it.

When the Vredesteins were backordered for the 165/65/R14 I came across the MOMO's.
    you can see the day I received them here with some information about when and where they were made:
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...l=1#post147993
    Last edited by Christopher_B; 11-13-2023 at 02:25 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher_B For This Useful Post:

Basic (11-13-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    We mostly get a handful of 1" snows and maybe 1 or 2 snows you could possibly get stuck in per year.
    I put dedicated snow tires on my work beater(1990 Plymouth Horizon) so I won't have issues making it to the job. However, there are times where we might be out in snow in the Mirage; just not frequently enough to warrant another set of snow tires for it.

When the Vredesteins were backordered for the 165/65/R14 I came across the MOMO's.
    you can see the day I received them here with some information about when and where they were made:
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...l=1#post147993

Yep! I've been waiting for the Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires since December 21, 2022. I purchased them @ $68/tire (due to a $100 off offer at the time). 5 of them appeared @ Tire Rack this summer. I should have canceled my order & bought a pair, but they wouldn't honor my sale price. Thus, I became stubborn rather than smart!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I prefer Michelins but they're expensive and I cheap. I have never heard of MOMO tires, I only remember the name from steering wheels and magazine ads from the early 90's. I usually go for the cheapest but this time I went second or third cheapest. In the end after charging inlaws full price for their tires and taking the 10% discount and applying it to my share(they're still getting a great deal compared to any local tire shop), these will cost me under $200.

Strangely enough we often have use for winter tires by now. I installed winter tires on the entire fleet last month. We had one small pile of snow then it melted. The ground is still bare here halfway through November. I figure if I buy a new snow blower we're guaranteed to have no snow this season!
    I put the snow tires on my Forester early this fall. I did that in hopes of it not snowing any time soon!!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I prefer Michelins but they're expensive and I cheap.
    Michelins for me too. If they made a factory tire size for the Mirage it would be shod with those.
    I just put a pair on my sport touring motorcycle.
    The Horizon beater has a set of 175/70R14 Michelin Defenders I bought on clearance 10 years ago. They still have about half the tread on them. I actually considered putting them on the Mirage since the bolt pattern is the same I think.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    [/url]
    You have it figured out sir, that it is exactly what we are making "All-Weather" tires with 3PMS for. A tire that will perform in all seasons, including "almost dedicated snow tire" performance. That is what I would recommend for 7Mile also.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    You have it figured out sir, that it is exactly what we are making "All-Weather" tires with 3PMS for. A tire that will perform in all seasons, including "almost dedicated snow tire" performance. That is what I would recommend for 7Mile also.
    If I lived in the Atlanta area & there was a good amount of snowfall, I would stay home. I wouldn't want to be on the road along with all the others not running snow tires. I can't imagine severe snow rated tires are popular there.

Personally, I don't think anything trumps having two sets of tires. You can use up older tires during the summer months and run newer better ones during the winter months.

If I get the Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires, I'm planning to run a new pair up front. I really want to test their hill climbing ability. I was planning to run my Nokian Nordman 7 snow tires on the rear this winter. They have done 6 winters up front, but if the new Quatrac 5 tires don't show up , the Nordman 7 tires are still my best bet. They still have a good amount of thread left on them. I pull them earlier & wait to put them on each year. That's the joy of having extra wheels.

I like using up my tires while having newer ones mounted during the winter months. Two sets of wheels allows you to do that.

I've done this with 3 pairs of wheels for years, too. If I still owned my 1990 Ford Festiva, I would be adding my newest 145SR12 tires up front. The 2nd oldest pair would be shifted to the rear, & the oldest pair would be pulled off completely.

In the spring, the newest pair would come back off, and the 2nd & 3rd oldest pairs would be used. This rotation kept relatively new tires on the front of that car during the winter months I never found 12" snow tires, nor did I ever need them. I could climb my winter ridge roads with ease. I would even go home & get the tire chains for my other cars. Vehicles with wider tires (Plymouth Colt wagon & VW Golf) couldn't compete with the Festiva. It wasn't even close. I would stop & help people with mini vans that couldn't climb the hill. We would turn their vehicle around so they could head back down. Meanwhile, I was going wherever I wanted with my Festiva. For whatever reason (tires are wider), the Mirage is not as good even with dedicated snow tires up front. Good tires, however, do help!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

So you went with full on Winter tires? Canada has some legal requirement correct?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So far I am happy with the MOMO 165/65/R14.
    https://momo.com/en-us/shop/m-4-four-season
    The 4RUN M4 is also branded with the Three-Peak Mountain Snowflake (3PMS*) symbol and rated for severe snow conditions.
    I bought them due to the backorder of the Quatrac 5 last fall when I questioned how long my OE Falkens would last. They wound up lasting to about 75K and I repplaced them about 6 weeks ago.
    I think they could be added to the list.
    I don't know for a fact if the MOMO 4RunM4 tires are still available in the 165/65/R14 size.