Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which tire is best?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,522 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I can't imagine severe snow rated tires are popular there.
    You imagine correctly, they are not.

Pretend I'm in Miami Mark. What tars would you choose then? Think heavy haul tow rig (Blueberry) on hot dry roads...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    You imagine correctly, they are not.

Pretend I'm in Miami Mark. What tars would you choose then? Think heavy haul tow rig (Blueberry) on hot dry roads...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

donatobueno (02-15-2024),inuvik (11-14-2023),Mark (11-13-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If I lived in the Atlanta area & there was a good amount of snowfall, I would stay home. I wouldn't want to be on the road along with all the others not running snow tires. I can't imagine severe snow rated tires are popular there.

Personally, I don't think anything trumps having two sets of tires. You can use up older tires during the summer months and run newer better ones during the winter months.

I probably have about 40-50 tires not on a car or bike... some on wheels some new just waiting.... I have 2 Horizons, 2 shadows, 1 Chryser TC (not town & country) a 95 GMC c1500, a '12 Gr cherokee, along with the Mirage. I also have 4 Buell motorcycles. I have tons of tires to use. Some don't fit vehicles I stilll own - but am looking for.
    I rarely mix tires. On my work beater I run 155/80/13 snow tires in the front and some other snow tires in the back on 15" wheels.

My best friend's dad used to own a tire shop back in the day and his opinion was to not mix them when it was avoidable. Of course on my beater I don't care how it handes in the winter.

One of my shadows (the convertible) came with 1 tire that didn't match the other 3. I have put 20,000 miles on them. They were almost all brand new. I think the old couple that owned it hit something because it had a new tire and rim on the right front. I have a new set of 4 performance summer only tires in storage for it but the ones on it have 7/32" still. Then I also have a set of larger wheels to go on it that would require a whole different set of tires.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 2,159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    I probably have about 40-50 tires not on a car or bike... some on wheels some new just waiting.... I have 2 Horizons, 2 shadows, 1 Chryser TC (not town & country) a 95 GMC c1500, a '12 Gr cherokee, along with the Mirage. I also have 4 Buell motorcycles. I have tons of tires to use. Some don't fit vehicles I stilll own - but am looking for.
    I rarely mix tires. On my work beater I run 155/80/13 snow tires in the front and some other snow tires in the back on 15" wheels.

My best friend's dad used to own a tire shop back in the day and his opinion was to not mix them when it was avoidable. Of course on my beater I don't care how it handes in the winter.

One of my shadows (the convertible) came with 1 tire that didn't match the other 3. I have put 20,000 miles on them. They were almost all brand new. I think the old couple that owned it hit something because it had a new tire and rim on the right front. I have a new set of 4 performance summer only tires in storage for it but the ones on it have 7/32" still. Then I also have a set of larger wheels to go on it that would require a whole different set of tires.
    I never mix tires on an axle. Those always match on a FWD car, & I make sure my set of 4 wheels match on my AWD Forester.

My Mirage hasn't had a set of 4 matching wheels on it since June of 2018. I lost a factory Dunlop @ 15,000 miles, and I used a $40 pair of Federal tires to run along with a remaining pair of Dunlop tires.

A pair of 165/65r14 Nexen N'Priz AH tires (currently on my rear axle) replaced the worn down Federal tires.

A pair of 165/65r14 Kumho Solus TA31 tires (currently on my front axle) replaced the worn down Dunlop tires.

I bought whatever was the best deal at the time.

All my Mirage tires are the same size. I just replaced pairs as I need them.

In a more perfect world, I would like the Vredestein Quatrac 5 All-Weather tires, & I would have two sets of them. I would use the new set during the winter months & the older set during the summer months. Will I ever get there? Not unless they become available again!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As far as Nokian Nordman 7 snow tires not being found anywhere this year, it is war related.

"Is Nokian still making tires in Russia?
    After registration formalities in Russia, the transaction will be completed, and Nokian Tyres' operations in Russia will end. “Due to the war in Ukraine it was no longer feasible nor sustainable for Nokian Tyres to continue operations in Russia." Mar 16, 2023

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-13-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice little test Tire Rack did on 3PMS All Weather tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=321
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (11-16-2023),Mark (11-16-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Nice little test Tire Rack did on 3PMS All Weather tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=321
    I would like to see a comparison for snow traction. It seems like the Vredestein sets the bar on this style tire.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    I would like to see a comparison for snow traction. It seems like the Vredestein sets the bar on this style tire.
    There are other tire companies that make all-weather tires. Michelin's Cross Climate 2 would be an example of this.

I think Europe does some of the better tire tests, but some of their tires aren't available here.

Best 10 All Season Tires for 2023/24 - Tested in the Dry, Wet and Snow! (1 month ago) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rFce9IE_aA

Best 11 Winter Tires for 2023/24 - Tested and Rated -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RipM4-ouIWM

The Best SUV Winter Tire? Nokian, Michelin, Continental, Bridgestone, Pirelli & More Tested!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHk8vG2a0x0

7 of the Best AT Tires in the Snow VS All Season & Winter Tires!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVSHMnkf0gY&t=10s

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have a set of Kumho solus H31 for winter.

My question is for summer which would be better for fuel economy / tire longevity:

Kumho solus TA31

FALKEN Sincera SN250A A/S (Currently installed)

Currently running the FALKEN Sincera, they are pretty good, wondering if others have tried the Solus TA31 or have advice on choosing between these 2 tires.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    I have a set of Kumho solus H31 for winter.

My question is for summer which would be better for fuel economy / tire longevity:

Kumho solus TA31

FALKEN Sincera SN250A A/S (Currently installed)

Currently running the FALKEN Sincera, they are pretty good, wondering if others have tried the Solus TA31 or have advice on choosing between these 2 tires.
    This is how some common 165/65r14 tires are rated in the U.S. tire market.

I don't put total stock in the UTQG ratings -
    "To help consumers evaluate their tires, the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) created the Uniform Tire Quality Grading System (UTQG). The UTQG rates tires are rated on their tread-wear, traction performance, and temperature resistance."

Kumho Solus TA51a 79T - 640AA/75,000 mile warranty, 51 psi, 10/32” tread depth
    *Kumho Solus TA31 79T - 500AA/60,000 mile warranty, 44 psi, 9.5/32”
    *Nexen NPriz AH5 79T (all-season) - 460AA/50,000 mile warranty, 51 psi, 9/32"
    Bridgestone Potenza RE92 78S (all-season) - 260AB/40,000 mile warranty, 44 psi, 9/32”

No warranty tires
    Falken Sincera SN250A A/S 79S - 320BB/no warranty, 51 psi, 9/32"
    *Dunlop Enasave 01 A/S 79S (all-season) - 340AB/no warranty, 44 psi, 9/32”

* tires I have used or are currently using for my Mirage.

If all the tires listed above were the same price, I would pick one of the top 3 on the list. I haven't tried the Kumho Solus TA51a (newer offering in the States), but it would be my first pick if the price was right. I've been very happy with my Kumho Solus TA31 & Nexen N'Priz AH5 tires.

I can't speak on the Falken Sincera SN250A A/S, because my Mirage came with Dunlop Enasave 01 A/S. You're the expert on the Falken tires.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (02-09-2024),sunbeam (02-09-2024)