Thread: Brake warning light came on for 10-15 seconds while driving - can't understand why.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Brake warning light came on for 10-15 seconds while driving - can't understand why.

Strange enough, for no reason I can find, my brake warning light popped on for maybe 10-15 seconds after driving about 35 miles this morning. I wasn't touching the brake pedal at all, and the parking brake was definitely all the way released.
    No chance anything got into the kick panel connectors, since I don't drive the car in snow or salty roads. I also keep my wet feet away from the foot rest and it's been dry the past couple of days. Never allowed slush to get near the kick panel.
    I checked the brake fluid level and it's halfway in between full and low (I know, I need front pads soon). No leaks and brakes feel fine. Pad squeakers haven't started making noise yet, either.
    Anyone experience this? Drove 42 miles tonight and it seems fine.
    I'm thinking some kind of glitch (can bus type of thing). I've had a few weird electrical oddities on this car over the nine years and 130k miles I've owned it. Example: the dome light once decided it wouldn't turn on when I pressed the unlock on the remote, still didn't come on when door was opened. Started the car, shut it off and the dome light worked as normal again. Happened once. Another time, several years ago, I pressed the accelerator and no response at all, tried again and the car took right off. Also happened once.
    One other weird thing, the climate fan + and - doesn't always beep. Most of the time it does, every now and then it doesn't beep.
    I think the car may be haunted.

-Could be the low fluid level sensor. IIRC, the level doesn't have to very low to trigger the light and can come on around corner(likely quickly).
    -Are all your brake lights working(if it a 2014-2015)?

Keep an eye on your brake fluid. I've had a few come in with the light on, drivers at work call it the e-brake/park brake light...
    Fluid was low(I can't remember exactly how low,). It started as the odd flicker then stayed on steady. A wheel cylinder was leaking but wasn't visible until the drum was removed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Fummins, it's a 2015.
    I was on a straight section of road, but had made a sharp right about 1/4 mile before the turn. Drove the same way home tonight and made a few sharp turns just to see if the problem would show up, but it didn't.
    Fluid is exactly half way between full and low. I'll probably replace the front pads this weekend. Got maybe 60k on them, Wagner ceramics. Think I got 75k or so from my originals. I'm easy on brakes.
    I'll check my brake light bulbs tonight. I did replace them several years ago.
    Thanks again!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tomrad For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-18-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Checked, all brake lights are working.
    I think you are right, probably the low fluid sensor. Maybe not low enough to be a problem, just low enough to trigger the light on occasion.
    Thanks, I alternate between my trucks and the Mirage for back and forth to work and get spoiled by the mpg of the car.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomrad For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-18-2023),Top_Fuel (10-18-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Since you'll be replacing the pads soon, the fluid will rise to normal levels thus fixing the issue(s). Audi recommends replacing brake fluid every 2 years. Not sure what Mitsu recommends but it's a very simple process to put off - especially when using a one-way valve.