Thread: 2018 Mitsubishi Mirage Turns Over but wont start

Country
    United States
    Thanks

2018 Mitsubishi Mirage Turns Over but wont start

This afternoon I went out to start my car. When I turned the key, the engine lagged but then started to turn over. I tried starting it numerous times and it felt like the battery was weak. After connecting a jump box to the battery it started to turn over easier and every once in a while it acted like it was wanting to fire but then just went back to turning over. I thought maybe the battery was weak so I replaced it, it was over due to be replaced anyways. But it still did the same thing. I hooked up my obd2 unit and it didn’t register any codes.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Did you check the fuel lines, fuel level?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Flourboy View Post
    This afternoon I went out to start my car. When I turned the key, the engine lagged but then started to turn over. I tried starting it numerous times and it felt like the battery was weak. After connecting a jump box to the battery it started to turn over easier and every once in a while it acted like it was wanting to fire but then just went back to turning over. I thought maybe the battery was weak so I replaced it, it was over due to be replaced anyways. But it still did the same thing. I hooked up my obd2 unit and it didn’t register any codes.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?
    Flooded?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-18-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My blind internet guess after fuel quality & flooded is bad starter.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    What's the fuel level and have you verified there's fuel in the tank?

Seems like a dumb question, I know, but I have "fixed" more than a handful of no starts with $10 worth of gas. Fuel gauge sending units can go bad and read inaccurately.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    CVT or 5 speed? Have you tried putting it in N if CVT?
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The fuel tank was filled up roughly 3 days prior to this issue, so the tank is full, and i got gas from the usual gas station that i always get it from.

I originally thought it was the fuel pump as i removed the back seat and cover to the pump and did not feel or hear the pump come on when i turned the key. but the other day i was trying to change out the fuel pump but had trouble getting the collar loose on the top of the pump assembly. But during this i was telling someone about it and hooked everything back up on the fuel pump to show him what it was doing. After i showed him i disconnected everything from the fuel pump and got sprayed with gas when i disconnected the fuel line, so it looks to me like the pump is pressurizing the fuel line.

Also yesterday i changed the spark plugs thinking they might be fouled out. I got the new plugs in and reconnected everything and it is still doing the same thing of turning over but not starting up. I'm going to hookup a spark plug tester this afternoon to see if the ignition modules are working.

I've checked the fuses relating to ignition and fuel and all of the fuses are in good condition. And forget to mention that i am not getting any check engine codes.

If the modules are functioning properly, any other ideas as for what it might be?
    Last edited by Flourboy; 10-31-2023 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Added additional comment that i forgot to add originally

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Have a helper floor the throttle while you shoot some staring fluid into the throttle body (don't open the throttle plate manually on a drive-by-wire car). Then try to start the engine. If you have any sort of spark (and compression)...then I would expect the car to sputter and/or fire for a few seconds. If the car won't even sputter on new plugs and starting fluid, it might be time for a compression check. But do this easy/cheap test first. The spark tester is not a bad idea.

Resist the urge to throw any more new parts at it until you do a little more testing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

I typed out a post a while ago but I guess I didn't post it...I assume you didn't bother removing the fuel pump relay as suggested?

I'll try again.
    When you had the spark plugs out did you clear any fuel from they cylinders or did you just slap new plugs in and have it still not start?

Once these are flooded(which I'm sure is the case), they can be a pita to get going especially if you keep on cranking. If they don't start the first time they're basically guaranteed to be flooded.
    I'd start from scratch, pull the plugs back out, unplug coils and injectors then hold the throttle wide open while cranking it. If you have a floor mat pull it out to make sure the pedal is to the floor.
    Crank it for 20 seconds or until the starter cuts out.
    Can plug a coil in and check for spark at the same time though just cause a plug sparks out in the open doesn't necessarily mean it will when it's inside the engine. If the plugs are damp at all dry them off. I have had a Mirage flooded and it took a day or two of dinking with it to get it running. It was so bad I had to change the oil after cause it was so diluted.

Unless you did something like hooked up booster cables backwards or started cutting wires and forgot about it then it's highly unlikely that a part actually failed.

If all else fails doesn't it have a warranty left or are you the second owner and sol?
    Last edited by Fummins; 10-31-2023 at 06:07 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I typed out a post a while ago but I guess I didn't post it...I assume you didn't bother removing the fuel pump relay as suggested?

I'll try again.
    When you had the spark plugs out did you clear any fuel from they cylinders or did you just slap new plugs in and have it still not start?

Once these are flooded(which I'm sure is the case), they can be a pita to get going especially if you keep on cranking. If they don't start the first time they're basically guaranteed to be flooded.
    I'd start from scratch, pull the plugs back out, unplug coils and injectors then hold the throttle wide open while cranking it. If you have a floor mat pull it out to make sure the pedal is to the floor.
    Crank it for 20 seconds or until the starter cuts out.
    Can plug a coil in and check for spark at the same time though just cause a plug sparks out in the open doesn't necessarily mean it will when it's inside the engine. If the plugs are damp at all dry them off. I have had a Mirage flooded and it took a day or two of dinking with it to get it running. It was so bad I had to change the oil after cause it was so diluted.

Unless you did something like hooked up booster cables backwards or started cutting wires and forgot about it then it's highly unlikely that a part actually failed.

If all else fails doesn't it have a warranty left or are you the second owner and sol?

When this issue was happening i didnt see if the fuel was cleared out of the cylinder, i just replaced the plugs and then tried to start but it cranked but wouldnt start. I hadn't done anything to any of the wiring as im not very knowledgable about that so didnt want to get in over head and make things worse . I was able to get it started by holding down the gas pedal to the floor and cranked the car and it started right up.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flourboy For This Useful Post:

Farti1 (02-17-2024),inuvik (02-18-2024)